Nickel or Chrome?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HUF, Nov 18, 2014.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

I really like the deep warm shine of nickel plating on vintage razors. Unfortunately, most of modern razors come chrome-plated. How about you, gents? What do you prefer?

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Nickel looks neat to me.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Nickel.

4. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Both are purdy.... but I think I like chrome better. Something about that mirror-like finish.

Ideally, I'd like to have a vintage DE Razor replated once I determine that it's going to be my favorite for a long time and I'd enjoy it most every day.
    I'm still in the mode of determining what I like.

Spud likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like the nickel better myself.

6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

As much as I like the vintage nickel, I love the chrome look of my DE89.

Doryferon likes this.
  7. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I dislike chrome razors. For some reason, to me, they look cheaper than nickel plated versions. I think you nail it in your post. The 'warmth' is the difference. And I like chrome in general... I am actually thinking of having the cowls and mudguard on my vintage Vespa chromed. Entirely chromed. So, yeah, chrome doesn't bother me. But on my razors... I only have a few in chrome. But they just don't look as nice as their nickel brothers. For instance, I have a chrome Merkur that looks like a Chinese cheapie next to my vintage Merkur... but alone, it is beautiful. Obviously the issue is my perception, rather than any defect of the finish... I guess to me, older equals better, and the warmth of nickel conveys that feeling.

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Nickel.
    It's classy.

Doryferon and Mr. Droid like this.
  9. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I'll take whatever they come in. Don't really have a preference. But if I was replating a vintage razor, I might choose chrome just because it should be harder and more durable. But I'd probably still go with nickel on a vintage.

10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Harder yes, but not more durable. I've read that chrome reacts to soapy water and over time will bubble up and crack, at least in the thickness used to plate a razor. If you want shine, hardness, and overall durability you should go for rhodium.

BigMark and Mr. Droid like this.
  11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I don't care as long as it shines.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Both are better looking than gold...imo...I can recall only one razor I thought looked better in gold than in nickel.

13. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

Yeah, I completely agree with that. I actually think copper plating is really striking. I don't think many razor replaters, if any, offer that finish. Which is too bad. I guess it requires more aftercare than nickel, chrome, etc., but not really any more care than raw brass. I guess rose gold finish is similar looking to copper. Hmmm.
    Maybe I will teach myself how to do electro plating. I have plenty of junk razors to practice on! It wouldn't be the first arcane skill I have learned in furtherance of a hobby.

Spud likes this.
  14. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Nickel, though I also absolutely love the red bronze handles that UFO makes (or is it officially "made," now?)

15. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

I think the nickel looks more rich, but really I just want them to be mine!

16. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Or, maybe the rose gold look. My SWMBO 's wedding ring is rose gold, so maybe she would allow more if they matched her ring

Spud likes this.
  17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Nickel.

If it's chromed, it's just covering up that evil Zamak.

18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Rose gold is an alloy that has some copper in it.

19. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

I got to say Chrome, gimme the shine.

20. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

If it's vintage then Nickel.