Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm vs. Nivea Cooling Sensitive Aftershave Balm

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Borderboss, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I started using the Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm about a month or so ago and really liked it a lot. It was soothing to the skin and I liked the feel of it on my skin. When I needed to replace the bottle, I accidentally bought a bottle of the "Cooling" Sensitive AS Balm because the two products were right next to each other.

What a disappointment! The "Cooling" version is quite watery compared to the regular version. It's not nearly as soothing and it runs off the skin like water. I'm glad it's only a $5 product, so I can throw the rest away and get the right stuff.

What has been your experience?

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I've been interested in the cooling balm for a while. I'm less enthused now after hearing your comment that it's watery.

I use Nivea sensitive balm after every shave. I love that stuff. I've used it for years.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Crazy, I had a bottle of the Nivea ASB for sensitive skin in my hand not an hour ago. Put it back on the shelf. :p

PLAla likes this.
  4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

It might just be that you need to shake it before you use it. The water may have just separated from the other ingredients in the bottle.

mpontiff and Carbide Mike like this.
  5. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I'll try that, but I didn't have to do that with the regular stuff. I'll report back tomorrow.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Thanks for the post. I'm a big fan of Nivea shave balm. I was thinking recently of trying the "Cooling" version but after reading your review I'll pass.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

I tried shaking the bottle, but there was no change. It was still watery and not at all balm-like.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative review @Borderboss. I also use Nivea sensitive post shave balm after every shave, I like how it works, feels and applies to the face VERY much, now I don't have to waste time and money on the "Cooling" version.:happy088:

PLAla likes this.
  9. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've been using the Nivea Sensitive "Cooling Post Shave Balm", and like it quite well. While it's more of a lotion than a balm, I use less as it spreads easier than a thicker balm would. Feels pretty good, too. I also like the milkglass bottle it's in.

10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I believe that the Cooling is more of a lotion or a, "splash" than the Sensitive is. Both have their place, its all what you like.

11. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

It's definitely a lotion instead of a balm. They should name it properly to avoid the confusion.

12. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

I really like the sensitive but having used both the Cooling is a little bit thinner but the cooling only lasts for about 5-10 minutes after application. If your looking for a cooling balm Proraso is definitely better than the Nivea Cooling balm.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

13. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Very true, but the Proraso is much more expensive, ounce for ounce.

14. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Would that be the Proraso green balm? I've been wanting to try some of their aftershaves but Nivea balm is always touted as the holy grail of balms. From what I've seen, it has almost been elevated to a mystical status. I guess the only way to find out which one I like better is to try them both but man it takes so long to finish off any type of aftershave, which is a pain if I end up not liking one of them.

15. Borderboss

Borderboss Active Member

Here's a link on Amazon to the Proraso balm I tried. I liked it a lot. What I didn't like was the price. As you'll see on Amazon, a 3.3 ounce bottle was $16.

Conversely, here's a link to Walmart for the Nivea Post Shave Balm "Sensitive". For a 3.4 ounce bottle, the price is $5.54. That makes the Proraso roughly three times the price of the Nivea. I think the Nivea is every bit as good.

Demidog likes this.
  16. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

You certainly can't beat the price of the Nivea balm but I have a few qualms with that brand, which is why I've had reservations about buying their balm. I've also come to find that aside from the convenience store brands like Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer, most aftershaves cost about as much as that Proraso balm so as long as it's as good as Nivea, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

17. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

They do sell both Nivea balms in travel size bottles which I think are 20ml. That would probably better if you just want to try them to see if you like them.

Demidog likes this.
  18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks you just saved me 5 clams. I don't know how many times I've be temped to buy the Nivea Cooling just out of curiosity (Walgreen's side by side) and I almost did it this time. So trying NC has been removed from my mini bucket list.

19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Agree. Perhaps its something that was lost in translation from German to English. LOL

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I use the Nivea Sensitive Skin Balm. It is alcohol-free. I believe the Cooling Lotion contains alcohol. I do remember reading it on the label at one time or another. If you want alcohol-free, that might be a difference.