No Safety Bar? who's brave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

3. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Maybe to peel carrots.

BamaT, Jack19, SpeedyPC and 2 others like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The difference between bravery and stupidity?

The outcome.

IDuck, BamaT, BigMike and 4 others like this.
  5. richgem

I wonder how different it would be from shaving with a straight, tho. Assuming proper technique, being careful, etc. Still, I won't be the one to try.

6. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I'm both interested and scared.

Bama Samurai and battle.munky like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    No, but thank you... zweird.png

BamaT, Carbide Mike and Billyfergie like this.
  8. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I want one. I've come to the point in my shaving evolution that I've ordered the Spitfire top cap for my R41 to make it feel like a 2011 model. Depending on how that goes, I might actually try shimming it as well. I've had some success keeping my folliculitis at bay by avoiding ATG strokes, but my hair is so coarse and grows so parallel to the skin that I can't get a close enough shave without them.

I actually volunteered for a passaround on the "other" forum. I agreed to be the first guinea pig for using it to shave my head. But the last person in posession dropped off the grid, so the passaround was cut short.

BamaT, Bama Samurai, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Bummer!

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I saw a YouTube video of this razor being used. Looks like a trip to the ER.

BamaT, Billyfergie and DEfettish like this.
  11. richgem

Yes, but don't most youtube videos end in a trip to the ER? ;)

Ky K, J_Man, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yes. Indeed.

13. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Got a link?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This triggered a number of mods of razors on a different forum and this type of head ended up getting a name/term that I can't remember.
    In the end a lot of people really enjoyed this type of shavette/DE shaving and I must admit it's something I'd be rather tempted to try myself.

Pilotcld and txskimo like this.
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Here's one:

16. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

I think it's stupid. I can relate to two cuts i got with Merkur Futur set up at 4-5. On some areas, like around the lips, safety bar gets out of the way, so it's like you would shave with one of these. The thing is that your hand, it's prone in doing small sideways movements if you don't pay attention, so you risk on getting cuts. The design of the straight razor makes your "sideways movements" that would move the blade across the face in cutting motion a little bit unnatural, as you would have to move your whole elbow for achieving them. But with this thing, is easier to cut yourself.

Billyfergie likes this.
  17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

DEvette

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ah, thanks that's it.

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I hate it when valor trumps discretion on my face.

Carbide Mike and Billyfergie like this.
  20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Looks like I need to update the Shavette thread.

Edit: and done. Scroll to the bottom of the first post if you want to read the edit.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/shavettes-the-truth-about-disposable-straight-razors.29942/

Looks like this idea isn't all that new. The following is from the Dec. 1934 issue of Popular Mechanics.

"MODIFIED SAFETY RAZOR GIVES CLOSE SHAVE

To obtain an extra close shave with a standard type double-edge safety razor, I filed off all the guard teeth on one side of the razor holder except the two end ones. I first shave rapidly with the guarded side and then finish more cautiously with the unguarded side. There is very little danger of cutting oneself because the tooth left at each end forms a satisfactory guard. It is important, however, not to remove them. Experiments made with a razor having all the guard teeth filed off on one side revealed that the corners of the blade were likely to cause small cuts, no matter how carefully the razor was used.—P. W. Calhoun."

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    Terry, Bookworm, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.