Non "Clovey" Bay Rum

Discussion in 'Scents' started by TheFiveO, Mar 19, 2015.

1. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I am on the perpetual hunt for awesome aftershaves and love the ones that remind me of my dad taking me to the barber shop as a kid. To that end, I am trying find a bay rum that I really like. I have been using Masters Bay Rum and am pretty happy with it but would like to try some others. I heard great things about the Captains Choice but when I had a chance to try some at Old Town Shaving in Pasadena, I found the clove a bit overwhelming. Could you my fellow members recommend some bay rums that don't have clove as the first "punch" of smell ? Thank you in advance and here's wishing many happy smooth shaves to ya!

PLANofMAN and gorgo2 like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Stephan's, for sure. Probably my top BR for that reason.

Superior 70 also has practically no clove.

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Stay away from Pinaud VIBR, I find it is heavy on cloves.

Mr. Shaverman, xnykid and Chuck F like this.
  4. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

There is no clove in Captain's Choice. That is one of their selling points.

West Indies Bay and clove both contain eugenol, so it's probably just the bay itself that is making you think of clove.

I'd suggest getting a sample of TSD bay rum, as it is scented with only West Indies bay oil and nothing else.

5. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

Thanks Chuck. Perhaps that is what it is. My olfactory palette is developing so I appreciate having someone who is more learned in these things educate me. I had heard elsewhere that CC has no clove but to me it seemed to overwhelm me. I was unaware that they smelled so similar. I thought I was back at an 80's dance club with my Flock of Seagulls haircut and cheap clove cigarettes! LOL

Joef and Chuck F like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  7. argus

argus enjoys hairy lady legs

I use Bello Bay Rum - just alcohol and bay oil, pure woody spiciness with all the benefits.
    You can practically choose any other bay rum labeled as a tonic made on the island of Dominica. Ingredients should be: alcohol, pimenta racemosa oil

8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've seen Stephan's described as a "true barbershop classic". Sure gives the face a soft clean feeling.

9. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne New Member

I am not much of a fan of this one but for what you are describing and asking for it may be great: Stirling's Bay Rum. I get mostly bay, little to no rum and no sweetness.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

drug store superior 70 bay rum and nothing else. $_35.jpeg

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

they discontinued the line at the one near me.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have had several of their colognes over the years, and never ran across the bay rum.

14. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

15. Paul Turner

One of the reviewers of the Bigelow website says he loves the bay rum because of the history(1838). THAT certainly works for me :)

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm a fan of St John's Bay Rum specifically because it doesn't have a strong clove smell.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Paul Turner and Kilgore Trout like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    A true bay rum gets the "clove" scent from the bay leaves, Pimenta racemosa (West Indies Bay). Other Bay Rums use regular 'cooking' bay leaves for the scent, then add clove to make it smell more 'realistic.' It will be fairly difficult to find a Bay Rum without a big clove punch. Masters is about the only one I know of.

tuxxdk likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

But Master still has that Bay Rum kind of fragrance, right?

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Yes, Master's Bay Rum is a Bay Rum, and smells like a Bay Rum. It just doesn't have any depth or complexity to its scent. It's almost like a Bay Rum without any Rum.

I find it bright, cheerful, and non-offensive to wear.

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny