Non "Old man"scents

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Linuxguile, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I'm coming up on 3 years of DE shaving and regular aftershave use - I rarely even thought about aftershave when I was still among the unenlightened. I've used up several bottles of Captain's Choice and liked the Lime scent the best. I'm just about to finish my 2nd 8 ounce bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum. I finished a 4 ounce bottle to Ogallala Limes & Peppercorns. I've finished off a vintage Old Spice that I carried around for at least 15 years. I've tried, and had rejected by SWMBO, all of the Pinaud line, AV blue and musk, Avon Windjammer. Avon Spicy gets a nod of acceptance on some days, but not all days.

Ogallala Bay Rum and Limes and Peppercorn seem to be the main ones she enjoys every time I put them on. Because the scent doesn't last too long, I can add a cologne before I leave the house and I am smart enough to only have stuff she picked out for me. Old man? Welp, OGBR seems to not only not turn her off, it sometimes turns her on, in a nice way, and I'm all about a happy wife.

2. Spiez

Spiez Active Member

I stopped at a burger joint yesterday with my family while traveling from Quēbec to Montreal on our vacation. The pretty young waitress said to my wife, "do you pick his perfume?". And added that I smell fantastic! Fine Platinum is the ticket. The next few miles of our ride was a jealous tirade.

Spiez

Demidog, David Green, twhite and 5 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Haha good stuff.

4. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

+1 on the Fine aftershaves! The Platinum and L'Orange Noir are both excellent! You can get a sample of their AS from Maggard Razors. Definitely worth a try.

Halvor, Robyflexx and clint64 like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree with the above. I have only tried Fine Platinum and L'Orange Noir and like both. I will add that to my family and I the Fine Platinum smells much better on and than in the bottle.

6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My first Fine may well be Platinum. Seems like I've done(And will continue to do)a lot of Barbershop aftershaves. From Stirling now to Clubman as it gets chillier.

7. Littlemax

Littlemax Member

Stirling Orange Chill !!!

8. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

She might enjoy Eau de Rochas Homme -- when first applied, it smells a lot like a Gin & Tonic with lime. After the alcohol evaporates, it has a rich, bitter citrus fragrance that lingers, faintly, all day -- not old man in the slightest. SWMBO loves it!

[​IMG]

Linuxguile and barbersurgeon like this.
  9. Linuxguile

A quick update: I got these scent samplers as a Christmas gift:
    [​IMG]

So far, SWMBO wasn't very keen on Fine American Blend, I think the oakmoss or geranium notes are what put her off of that one. She says it smells like the kind of old man you would find wandering around whole foods (Hmm maybe it was the patchouli)(No offense to any of you guys who frequent whole foods;)) . But Fine Platinum is a winner! She really likes it!

Ksblazer, mrchick and PLAla like this.
  10. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Fine Platinum is terrific stuff! Too bad that she didn't care for American Blend. It's probably my favorite scent in the wet shaving scene at the moment. But I'm glad that Platinum worked out! My SWMBO is very pick and opinionated about scents as well!

mrchick and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

By the same token, I imagine the Cologne Russe is out too? Or not?

Linuxguile likes this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My wife really likes Fine American Blend. It's funny how that works.

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

Haven't tried it yet, wet shall see.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Halvor likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

I think I missed your reply Paul?

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Yes, I fouled up. I was trying to comment on Bobcat's Stirling-related post, but got Executive Man confused with Stirling Gentleman, so I just decided the heck with it. Sorry it confused you, too.

17. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have a question what do you like?

Linuxguile likes this.
  18. Linuxguile

I haven't really met a scent that I've found off-putting . That being said I tend to like citrus based scents bests.

19. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I'm 67 years old. I was at the men's fragrance counter and tried a spritz on the wrist of Savage, the current stuff. It smelled like moth balls to me. For a sixty-seven year old man it's not good to smell like moth balls. That's old man.
    -Don

ninjack, FaceScraper, Halvor and 2 others like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Not good at all. For anyone I would imagine