Non "Old man"scents

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Linuxguile, Aug 21, 2016.

1. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I lack television. The successfull 'World's Most Interesting Man' ad campaign by Dos Eqques, featured a greybearded older man surrounded by ladies and having fun? I know they went with a younger version. How did that work out? I shun OLD SPICE because every male in my family used the stuff. I can empahize. I've heard scents also described as 'Old LADIES PURSE.' Do those three sexually ambiguous boys strutting in that old commercial go around smelling them? Kinky. I would have expected the latest designer drug proffered to underage girls in clubs their drug of choice. I'm not a fan of John Wayne. But " If you can't respect your elders you will learn to respect your betters." Picks up a grapefruit half and shoves it in this thread's face like Jimmy Cagney.

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I don't care for it as much, but judge for yourself.
    http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/dos-equis-debuts-interesting-man/306439/

Linuxguile likes this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I gave Fine L'Orange Noir a shot last night. Her first comment was "I don't know about that one". After about 5-10 minutes she said that it smelled " Very Mature, but not old man". I asked if that was a good thing and she said the jury was still out. At this time I was picking up subtle hints of orange and was really digging it. About 30-45 minutes later all of the orange was gone and the only thing both her and I could smell was the patchouli, and neither of us was happy with it at that point.

PLAla likes this.
  4. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

I will forevor associate pure patchouli with Sonoma State College earth mothers ( granny gowns, birkenstocks, dreadlocks, armpit hair braided into dreamcatchers and patchouli bought by the gallon in lieu of annual baths) protesting during Redwood Summer. Ugh! Why we ventured out at night to monkeywrench bulldozerswhen their mere presence on a lumbertrail sent grown men fleeing in pandemonium is beyond me.

Linuxguile likes this.
  5. Linuxguile

I tried out the Cologne Russe last night, This one is a case where I didnt like it. Is seemed very feminine to me with sweet vanilla and amber base, lavender (though not in the scent description), and a hint of powder. So far only one clear winner from the samples, the Fine Platinum. The Myrsol Lemon I'm not really counting because it smells like a lemon drop and that was more for me because I love straight cirtus and wanted to see how it felt. So really only one more to try and that is the MLSW Colonia Di Agrumi which is a dupe of AdP Colonia .

PickledNorthern likes this.
  6. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Get some La Toja aftetshave

While I'm sure its been around a while. I don't think of it as being an old man scent at all.

I get juicyfruit and fresh ocean salt air. A very unique scent that I can't compare to anything else.

It also leaves a nice post face feel with the minerals it has in it.

Linuxguile likes this.
  7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Interesting comments by all.
    I thought it interesting that you listed Florida Water in the LIKES category. I assume that you were referring to Murray and Lanman Florida Water - " famous worldwide for nearly two centuries".
    I kind of like this myself, but always thought that other people would not like it on me. It's scent reminds me of soda pop - like Dr. Pepper & Ginger Ale.
    If you google this one, you find all kinds of non-traditional uses for it.

I remember when my wife used to pick out the scents that I wore. I think I got a lot of Avon fragrances back then. I do miss those days.
    Today I look for value, so I try many of the clones, and use many of the readily available drugstore scents - which I guess would be considered "Old Man" scents.

My kids still buy me the Avon scents - Mesmerize and Black Suede are their favorites.
    I would suggest British Sterling and Pierre Cardin- though they have been around a long time, I don't know if they are considered "Old Man" scents.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'd like to research "Pete" Cardin stuff....I didn't know PC has been around for a long time.

9. Linuxguile

MLSW Colonia Di Agrumi was instantly labeled "Old Man" no AdP love from her.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I was reading through this thread and when I read this post I started laughing. Out loud. That's just funny right there.

RyX and mrchick like this.
  11. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

My wife really likes L'Homme by YSL but that's a cologne, it does come in a shave balm and AS. Ben Franklin from Stirling has been growing on her.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Some time try mixing AV and Florida Water 50/50 I call it Blue Steel. I really like Pinaud Special Reserves and Pinaud Lime Musk. What does y
    Some time try mixing AV and Florida Water 50/50 I call it Blue Steel. I really like Pinaud Special Reserves and Pinaud Lime Musk. What does your wife think of English leather?

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

English leather isn's one that I've run accross locally, and likely not something I would order online. I do have another couple of winners to add to the list though:

AV Ice Sport and Stirling Mountain Man are SWMBO approved scents

14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

does your AV Ice Sport have "100th Anniversary" on it?

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Nope, its just the regular label.

16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Proraso Green Lozione Dopobarba.
    WCS
    had a sampler with it that I purchased.