NorCal members ok ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BigMark83, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I want to check in on members living in NorCal. With the fires going on I hope you are all ok. If you can, please let us know. God bless and stay safe. That includes you @HolyRollah .

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’m fine. My wife has asthma and is suffering a little from the smoke in the air. We are an hour away from the nearest fires and not at risk. Thank you for asking.

wristwatchb, Keithmax and BigMark83 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I spoke with a good friend (former fireman & employee of the Calif Dept of Forestry) who lives in Napa (and has a brother in Santa Rosa)—both areas severely affected by these fires. He told me the fire and devastation and loss of life is unprecedented in that area. There have been similar wildfires in the past (early 1980s and mid-1960s), but the population and development of these regions is significantly larger than during those previous fire episodes. His sister, who lives in the heart of the Napa wine country, had to evacuate her home. His brother & family had to evacuate their home in Santa Rosa as well. Fortunately, both their homes survived. My friend also mentioned the risk of another windstorm this weekend—wind +wildfire = carnage. The near-80 mile an hour winds of the previous weeks make the wildfires exceptionally dangerous to control. You simply cant outrun nor out-drive the fire in those circumstances!

Praying for those IN the community and those firefighters and emergency workers risking their lives.

I'm about an hours drive south of the wildfire region (Brian is east). Outside, the air smells of burnt grass and the sky is hazy all day. Certain days, a light dusting of ash is noticeable everywhere (especially if one owns a black car). Thanks for your concern, Mark.

napa_fire.png

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Here is a map that puts it in perspective. I’m in the Sacramento area and the fires are also north of me. If it gets windy again today some of these fires will do a lot more damage. Please pray for the people affected. Thanks. [​IMG]

Keithmax and BigMark83 like this.
  5. CliffDweller

CliffDweller Well-Known Member

All good in Silicon Valley -- some minor fires in San Jose last week but it's almost all north of SF, as mrchick's map shows. The air outside and smells like a camp fire, and the smoke rolls in and rolls out every day.

My wife & I this weekend are getting together an emergency kit -- this didn't hit us but it's a good reminder to get together basics & a week's worth of water & food among other things. Hitting up Costco & Home Depot this weekend.

Maybe I'll get an extra gallon of water to set aside for me to shave for a few days -- hey, gotta keep things together even when times are tough! ;)

BigMark83 and mrchick like this.