NOS razors.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Slivovitz, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

New old stock (NOS) razors are sometimes an issue for classic shaving enthusiasts, I've noticed; people often have strong opinions on how they should be used.

I think of NOS items in two categories of my own. There is what might be called "technically NOS", items that are no longer made, but were discontinued recently enough, or are common enough, not to be truly collectible. An example of this would be the Feather Portable, still easily available at low prices. Then there are the collectible NOS items, which are now considered rare enough to stick on a display shelf, permanently unopened.

Of course, if you wait long enough, the technically NOS items will themselves become collectible, and in any case, the categories overlap. Is an unopened late model Gillette Tech a collectible? Matter of opinion. If you have an NOS razor will you open it and shave with it? Will you display it? Will you try to sell it at a profit?

This can be a contentious issue, some people feel very strongly that NOS items "should" be preserved in the original packaging forever, and left for the collectors who will appreciate them most in that condition. Personally, I don't feel any such obligation; I understand the collector's position without feeling bound by it. As a practical matter, be aware that the resale value of a razor drops as soon as the package is opened. If you are willing to accept that, then perhaps you will get more enjoyment by being the first person to use that razor than the collector would have gotten by looking at it. Future generations of collectors? Not really a concern. On the other hand, my NOS items have all been relatively inexpensive, and on the borderline of the technically NOS. Besides the Feather, I've opened a Personna Injector, a Schick type O, and a 1991 Gillette G1000 (late model DE razor made in England). In a drawer, to be opened eventually, are a late model Gillette Tech, which only cost me $18, and a Schick type L. If I had something really rare, it might go on eBay to see how high the bidding would go.

Some might prefer NOS because second hand razors have a "yuck" factor for them. They may like the idea of a vintage razor, but only if nobody else has used it. That's not me, I've cleaned up and used some razors that were in pretty sad shape, but people's attitudes on this are not always rational.

So how do the rest of you feel about this? Do you distinguish between different levels of NOS? Do you think that you "should" do one thing or another with a sealed, unused razor, as opposed to simply making a practical decision? What have you actually done with the NOS razors that you acquired?

Dragon likes this.
  2. geogaga

geogaga Member

Today I dispatched my NOS FatBoy. I acquired it in times of RAD when I was obsessed with "yuck" factor (still am, actually). It lived with me almost half a year. Untouched, in an original box, with the letter signed by the president of Gillette of those times. I could not get my hands on it. It felt like a piece of history to me. So with help of Stefan I realized that I do not want to keep things I do not use or look at with warm feelings and passed it to another person who was willing to possess it. Another NOS '78 SuperSpeed was opened right away upon arrival and used next morning :) Depends on the razor, I think. Now I realize that if I'd ever want another NOS... naaah. I won't :)

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I'd use NOS in a heart beat. Razors were not made to be worshipped but used. You can use it to simply stare at it and love it or you can use it to shave with.

Someone said if you worship things you become one and we give razors so much power over us that they absorb attention, energy, resources , emotions that might wisely be spent on people.

I am glad the hobby gave me the ability to really enjoy my razors whether its a $3 Tech or a Fat boy from a antique dealer , however, I want to enjoy them in a visceral way the way a child likes his toys but to dedicate myself to preserving a insignificant thing like a razor for " future collectors" is futile , boring and pretentious.

We should take the gift of enjoying razors and run with it, be grateful we know how to enjoy them and make much out of something insignificant, why make it a dead thing and become so wrapped up with them that we make it a overly serious responsibilility , grubbing financial investment, hassle, unnecessary burden.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yanno, I was fixin' to post something along these lines myself!

Sing it Brother! Tell us how it is! Tell us what it was! Tell us how it shall be!

Right on, right on, right on!

5. very interesting topic! I'm no expert, but 'I hope to learn something of this even from those conversations!!

6. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I guess I have to stand up for the collector. First off the middle letter in nos stands for old. I really don't consider any razor made in the last 20 years as old so would have no problem opening the package and using it.

Now I collect vintage razors, those over 50 years old. There are probably many nos razors that old but they are probably common. Again I wouldn't mind using those.

The last category would be older then 50 years old and also very rare. Those I don't use. I appreciate looking at the beauty of a pristine piece. I really only own two true nos razors. I have another 5 or 6 that have never been used but may have the packing or an instruction sheet missing. These are not nos.

Here is a photo of a nos 1954 Father's Day Special Super Speed. It has the original display cardboard, a real bow tie you could actually use, and the razor itself with it's unopened blades and instruction sheet. I'm sure there may be another one somewhere but I don't know of it. It would be a shame to the razor collector's out there or just to anyone who appreciates something a little different, to tear open the display, throw the bow tie in a drawer, open up the blades and then shave with the razor to see how a 1954 Super Speed shaves. There are probably hundreds of 1954 SS's out there you could try if you want.
    Here's the photo. My collection is not only for myself but to show photos of these pieces to members who follow the forums.
    Fathers-Day.jpg

Len

Dragon likes this.
  7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I think Len has a good view on this. Some razors are truely special pieces of history and deserve to be perfectly preserved. If I end up with a razor this special (something like Len's specially packaged SS), it will come with a story of how it was acquired as I have no plans to simply scour ebay for one. If that happens, I'll keep and preserve such a razor.

OTOH, an unopened common Super Speed, Tech, or any other easily available razor should be opened and enjoyed.

Dragon likes this.
  8. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's good that we get both sides. Personally, I won't criticize anyone else's decision on this, although I might have done the opposite.

If an unopened Gillette Proglide or Schick Hydro survives until 2110, the "preserve it" people and the "use it" people will have the same discussion. If it has some sort of special packaging, say a tie-in to the 2012 Olympics, that will make it even more of an issue.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If I was a collector, I would see it as an investment and not use the razor.
    But I'm not a collector. I am a gatherer. I use 'em.

Then again, not being a collector keeps me from paying the prices that collection pieces demand. I do not have any NOS.

I did purchase an NOS Parker 45 fountain pen. The same question comes up - keep it unused? or ink it up? As I said, I'm a gatherer. I loaded it up and I use it.

Works for me.

10. stingraysrock

Me being completely ignorant of the classic pen market, I had to go Google this Parker 45...I did not see a 45 readily available, but the "Parker 51 with the hard-to-find mustard-tan-nassau colours" can be had for $550.00! :shocked003:shocked003:shocked003

11. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I consider NOS to mean in it's original state as it came from the factory save for usual degradation from time. For example, my recently acquired Toggle.. never used, cased, with user's manual, foil price tag, blades still sealed and shipper box.. this to me is NOS. And I will never use it because of this.

Now after NOS, there's mint.. to me anyway. An example would be my 1934 Aristocrat. It and its case looks like it just came from the factory. However it's missing everything else.. shipper box, paperwork, etc. While I can look at it and tell it's never seen a blade, I can't call it NOS.

Indeed, I collect but it's also an investment. Some people buy old coins, I buy old razors - both of which have a grading system and determine your return later on down the road. My collection may cost me $10,000 in my life but sell for $15,000 when my nephew cashes it all in, putting him $5,000 closer to his college graduation.

While I try not to fault anyone for using NOS razors, it leaves me flabbergasted to see someone, for example, who bought a Fatboy still sealed in it's original shrink wrap around it's hanging cardboard - tear it open and use it. One of these sold on eBay a few weeks ago for $500+ and I hope the person that bought it leaves it as is. It's not mine and I have no business getting annoyed about it, but if he were to open it for a daily shaver.. yeah, that would really annoy the piss out of me. lol!

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

My Take on things...

While things can be aesthetically pleasing, the true beauty comes from function. If it is too rare to use, then it really isn't for me. A NOS production razor, sure I would use it. If it were something like the kit above, I would probably sell it and get a user grade version of the same razor for much less money.

13. Hiya,

Over the years I've managed to acquire a few nice razors that look to have never been used. I never use em either because I don't want to scratch the thing or put any wear on it at all. I do get to hold em though.........

Luckily, I've found other non pristine examples of these types and can satisfy that particular monkey when it becomes especially persistant. Yeah, they aren't all that rare, and I'd imagine the NOS or mint razor wouldn't shave me any better than an inexpensive user grade.

Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to drive a NOS razor in certain situations. For example, if I KNEW a particularly exotic razor was perfect for me and was rarely ever seen in decent used condition, then who knows. I just might..........nah, probably not. Heh, it would be extremely tough to destroy the intrinsic value in something like that, unless it was something like an old cartridge system maybe.

I surprised the hell out of myself recently when I bought a fairly expensive razor made in 1948, with the idea of actually using the thing. Thank God the case and blade holder aren't mint, so it makes shaving with the razor a little easier somehow. I may or may not have been the first to use this thing, and couldn't find any signs of wear when I received it. Normally I'd never do this, but the model just doesn't come up often in good used shape. Otherwise I'd just buy that and be perfectly happy.

Sheeesh, what a goofy 'hobby'.

Martin

14. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Hmmm. The answer seems pretty simple to me. The owner does what he or she wants with it. If somebody wants to drop big sums of money on NOS Fatboys and then shave with them then great. If he/ she wants to display them, then great.

It's their money and their razors. That said, I own nothing even remotely close to NOS. I shave with the razors I own.

15. Hi there,

Heh, I envy you in a way. I certainly never started out to buy a razor that I'd never use........but something went wrong somewhere. I have a couple razors that are both a blessing and a curse......heh. I can't use em and can't sell em. Sheesh. Oh, I'm not even talking about NOS here......... the razors I can't use are only mint maybe.

Now I should mention that these razors were all bought for very little money, and that I would never spend some serious cash on something to look at only. No, I'm not quite at that point yet..........(nervous chuckle). It IS a bit frustrating sometimes not using something so nice, but then that's what other razors are for. Plus, knowing what they are gonna shave like is also a big help against temptation.

Martin

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

don't. trust me. :D

17. stingraysrock

The opinions in this thread advocating for the preservation of razors is pretty much the same type of thing that happened with muscle cars.

In the 80's, you could buy 67, 68, and 69 Camaro's or similar cars in fantastic condition all day for $1,200.00 and race them, or wreck them, or whatever and if something happened to it, go out and buy another one the next day. I know, I had several!

Now, when I see one of those very same cars, it is either on a trailer, or in a parking lot at a show. Very rarely do I see one on the street around here. In fact, it is more common for me to see an older Ferrari Testarossa or Lamborghini Countach or Diablo being driven up or down Highway 37 DAILY than any make, model or year of American muscle car.

So yeah, it is his or her money / razor / pen / whatever....and do what you want with it, but yanno, for me, it is a shame to see so much steel being put on a shelf or in a museum / shrine.

But just to clarify my opinion; it is just that, an opinion. I make no judgments on anyone whatsoever!

18. Schnitter

Schnitter Member

19. jansob

jansob New Member

This may sound mercenary (because it IS mercenary), but if I have an NOS item that a collector values, I'll be happy to sell it to them at a premium, buy a nice used one and spend the rest on good beer.

If it's NOS and relatively recent (like the Type O injector I'm always on the lookout for and would like to try), I'll open and use it in a heartbeat. These machines were meant to be used, and likely will not gain enough value in my lifetime to be worth "preserving".

I'm a "Using Collector"...I love to find nice examples of things I like, but nothing in my den will stay there without getting used.

20. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

A Schick Type O doesn't meet the O part of NOS. Old doesn't mean "old just because it's not made anymore". Old, in cases of collecting, means vintage/antique.

And +1 on the Type O.. if I ever find one still sealed, I'm shaving with it, the day I get it! :happy102 Err, unless I don't find one for another 50 years. Then it'll be NOS and I won't open it.