Not quite a newbie but not master

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by FanofAceVentura, Feb 4, 2014.

1. FanofAceVentura

FanofAceVentura Well-Known Member

ill Google it and see what i can do

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Or as another option you might try an S/E.

It can be very surprising how well that single sided stiffer blade can really mow down some tough whiskers.

The learning curve isn't as steep as a straight, and a good condition S/E can be had cheaply.

The only minor drawback IMHO would be blade availability and selection, but that's really far from a deal breaker if an S/E works for you.

Shamrock likes this.
  3. FanofAceVentura

yeah I've thought or a SE but i find the Straight Razor to be more ___ ___ :transport016: thanks for the suggestion

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Or perhaps a different blade.

5. FanofAceVentura

im useing the Astra SP i thought about the persona tho

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. :happy088:

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I'd suggest going to www.maggardrazors.com/product-category/razor-blades/ and choosing a "Build Your Own" sampler - 10 pack worked for me, and/or go to www.italianbarber.com/razor-blades and choose something like the "From Russia With Love" sampler pack, and then begin the process of trying a different brand blade every time you change out the used blade. Continue until you find one that works well for you, and use that for 30 days until you get your technique down. As suggested above, SE razors give a very smooth shave, but they are much more aggressive than DE razors are in general...if you want aggressive, find a vintage SE, grab a pack of SE blades, and give it a test drive. Gem MM, Ever Ready, and many other vintage SE razors can be found easily and cheaply on eBay if you can't find one somewhere close to home. I'd be willing to let you try one of mine if you want to see if SE is for you.

8. FanofAceVentura

I may try an SE but I dont like the disposible blade stuff I rather sharpen the razor like my knifes anyway thanks for the offer and ill be in toutch if i decide i want to try one out

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Honing an SR takes quite a bit of practice. This is why most new SR shavers are advised to have their SRs professionally honed. I am not saying it cannot be done by a newcomer to straight razors; but it is generally advised to let a pro set the bevel and create a keen shaving edge. Additionally, this process of trying a properly honed razor can be an educational one for the new user to help gauge his future attempts at razor honing.

Shamrock likes this.
  10. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I totally understand the desire to hone your own razor; definitely check out the straight razor section of this forum - there's some great people over there with a lot of knowledge.

11. FanofAceVentura

Ok I've sharpen a knife to be razor sharp and know a little on the process but i just might let a pro do it for me