Not Shave Related: Quick Survey

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by scott.ostermille, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I see where my confusion comes from. Here, phone books were distributed from door to door when there still was a single party providing non-mobile telephony. With the migration to digital telephony, and multiple parties offering this, the paper phone books also disappeared.

We do have competition on the telephony and television market. But that is competition on modern services, like digital telephony, broadband data, mobile services, and television.

You can still get a landline if you want, I think, but nobody gets them anymore. And with the disappearance of analog landlines, also the paper phone books disappeared.

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

And I'm sure some of our younger members said What the ..... is that?
    As soon as the Princess model came out my Mom had Dad ditch the black phone for a biege Princess.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

We had these phones ... later you could pay extra to have them in green or red.

[​IMG]

Bama Samurai and Jim99 like this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Did anyone see "The Intern"? Good movie loosely related to phone books.

MV5BMTUyNjE5NjI5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzYzMzU3NjE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Jim99 and PLANofMAN like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

We had gotten rid of our land line 5 years ago since we all had mobile phones.

brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I took the survey.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

In most of the USA, a book called "Yellow Pages" is still published. It's a business paper phone book, and every listing is really a paid advertisement. It's delivered to the doorstep by a marketing contractor, and has nothing to do with the actual phone system.

Boojum1 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Jeez....maybe 12 years.
    I was an early cell phone adopter and internet adopter. I can't really remember. It's been forever

9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

That was called "Gouden Gids" (golden pages) here. I think it was distributed last about ten years ago.

I think (almost) every household has a broadband internet connection here; isn't that the case in the USA as well?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Bama Samurai and Eeyore like this.
  11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

13. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

There was one?

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I used the yellow pages just last week to find a plumber. I guess I could have gone online, but I went old school.

15. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

For the most part yes, although in some areas there is wide area broadband wifi on a city or department scale. Personally, I still have cable TV based broadband Internet access. The Internet in general is somewhat slow and expensive in the USA compared to many places in Europe and East Asia.

16. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr New Member

This is almost the same as reading a book. Some still want the actual book and others want to read them on there kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk