Not Shaving Everyday

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Corvn, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Corvn

Corvn Member

Since I went DE only I find myself shaving at nights. For one there isn't enough time in the morning to work on technique. Feeling rushed and scraping as fast as I can with fidgety fingers and all is what I'm trying to get away away from. I enjoy the shave and enjoying growing my beard for 2 days just to hack it off again. My wife keeps wanting me to use this hair removal stuff on my face, which takes away my shaving fun. Shave in the morning also and my boss thinks the office smells like a barbershop. Find myself torn between two worlds.

I guess what I'm saying is to stick with it if anyone finds themselves in such situation. I know i am and will continue. Learning the techniques first in the dark and once I've progressed bringing them in the real world. Transition is hard but will be worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

brit, Dzia Dzia, Redrock and 3 others like this.
  2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Good advice. I find that the quality of my shaves suffer greatly when I have a serious time constraint. I get lots of missed stubble, serious razor burn, and occasionally some nicks. These days I try to shave only when I have ample free time. Getting close comfortable shaves should be a priority and after you manage to achieve that, then I'm sure you'll start to get faster. I shave like a sloth myself but this year, I will be working on getting my time down. Even though I have a while to go in terms of improving, I'm already reaping the benefits of switching to DE razors and traditional soaps and creams.

Dzia Dzia, RetLEO-07, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    When I was working second shift, I would shave in the late morning, several hours before I went into work.

Working first shift, I shower and shave when I get home in the afternoon.

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I can get away with every late afternoon. My job is in a warehouse setting, so no style points for BBS face.

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Do what works for you.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

With better technique, hardware, & software I've found shaving every 24 hours is too soon. If I wait 36 to 48 hours my skin feels better. Sometimes if I have an up coming social event I'll sync my schedule to allow a shave right before.
    Having an evening shave is pleasant. No rush or hurry = the Zen shave.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

When I am working I always shave and shower in the evening. When I am not, I just do it whenever it fits into the day. Like others, I enjoy a slower pace.

brit, Carbide Mike, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I shave M-F for work. Get up a half hour earlier than I used to so I don't have to rush my shave. Works out pretty well. Rushing=blood.

Carbide Mike, Demidog and Dzia Dzia like this.
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I shave almost every day, but definitely M-T for work. 2 passes and it takes less than 5 minutes.

Carbide Mike, PanChango and Demidog like this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Hate to think back on how I treated my face. For 30 years I shaved at 4 a.m. since I had to be in the "office" around 5 a.m. Second career (17 years) I shaved at 6 a.m. so I could be in the office at 7 a.m. As the boss - I felt I needed to be at work before any of my folks. Actually the second career felt like I had all the time in the world when compared to the first career. Now since I retired this past summer - at the risk of sounding selfish - its all about me. I usually shave three times a week. I do it in the afternoon and take as much time as I want. Always start with a hot wet towel soak of the face for a couple minutes, followed by a bowl lather and three pass shave, then finish with post shave balm/after shave. My blood pressure has gone way down over the last 6 months as well.

11. RetLEO-07

My son(XO of his Company) is keeping the same "office hours". I on the other hand get up at 0545 so I can somewhat take my time. Sunday is the me-time shave.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  12. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

I shave at night, when i get home its a nice way for me to calm down for the evening :)

Carbide Mike and Spud like this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Give my regards to your son. That's why I put "office" in quotes - as you well know - it wasn't always in an "office" environment.

Carbide Mike and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

:transport024:
    He's leaving for NTC tomorrow. Fun in the desert.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I always shave at night. I work in a factory though, so no one cares if Im clean shaven or not. If I shaved in the morning, Id just wake up 15 minutes earlier.

Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Yup - they say there is a girl behind every tree at the NTC - problem is - there are no trees.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  17. RetLEO-07

:happy097:

18. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

i have to shave everyday for work. If I want a crap job that will work for the day, I use an electric razor. If I want to take my time and do it right, I'll shave at night after I shower. I find that if I DE shave at night, I can make it through the next day no problems. In fact, I can make it through the night too. So the next day I'll use the electric razor in the morning, which can get me through the day but leaves me extra growth for the night to DE shave again.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  19. RetLEO-07

Yup, you're addicted. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Haha, I don't know if it is so much addiction (which I am), but more like just not wanting to waste a shave. By the second night I don't feel like I've got enough stubble for a true shave.