Nov 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What's YOUR plan for NOVember?

1. A Rule with a DE razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A Focus with a DE razor or razors

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. A Rule with a straight razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. A Focus with a straight razor or razors

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Something like a Focus but not really a focused Focus

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I'm just hanging out for Thanksgiving. Turkey baby!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Did someone say cookies?? Because I thought you had forgotten!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to NOVember!

No Shave November.jpg

Wait- what?! No-Shave November? Yeah, it’s a thing but…….real men run sharp steel across their faces with no fear on a daily basis!! I say HA! To No-Shave November and YES! to No-Variation NOVember!!

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the November 2017 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus Discussion.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! If you’ve been here awhile you know the drill so jump in and help the new guys get their feet wet. Well, not really, that would mean they have a serious problem with how to shave around a sink…..or the shower….or else their plumbing is just really bad.

So, what is this group about? A couple of things, really. First and fore most this is a TECHNIQUE focused group. All the fancy and shiny shave toys in the world won’t give you a great shave if you don’t know how to use them. That applies to any type of razor from DE safety razor to injector to traditional straights, kamisori, pain sticks, popsicle stick razors, sharp can lids and all the rest. Second, it’s a COMMUNITY focused group. Everyone here is supportive of the new people learning, the old timers learning new stuff or just working with a new razor or trying to adjust to fix an issue. We support each other and learn together. Third, it’s about SHENANIGANS. Yep, we sometimes drift off topic around here just because we can and it’s fun. As @Bama_Samurai stated in the inaugural edition back in January 2015, this is an un-hijackable thread.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique. I can also attest to the ability of the 30 Day Focus to adjust one or more areas of the shave, or to open doors to new methods and tools. This month we celebrate NO Variation November. In other words, we encourage you to pick one razor, blade, soap, brush, and use it the entire month. Or mix and match soaps and brushes with that one razor and blade. Or use one straight. Or two…..get the idea? And yes, a true “no variation” is really just a rule, but you might want to use it to learn a new razor. Or just do what you want…it’s your shave and you are more than welcome to freelance around here and enjoy the shenanigans and cookies! Show off your best and favorite gear and make the rest of us run out and buy it because they it’s so awesome! It’s called enabling, remember? And, this is an un-hijackable thread, remember? You won’t throw us off. Much.

Well, that’s my introduction for the month. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.

7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

8. You might also want to be careful mentioning anything negative about Feathers. The Yakuza has been more active lately and, frankly, the Russians would be more concerned if they weren’t already drunk.

Let's have some great shaves! Welcome to NOVember! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Take it easy on the Feathers. Lock up your Barbasol, Samurai is back!

See Avatar

Magic Salon Razor
    Shark SS Saloon
    The Arko Challenge Continues
    @jtspartan 30DC Tuxedo

Back to basics, looking forward to another trip round the sun with the 30DC.

No Shave November is a thing.

Just not here.

Have a superb November of technique mastery!

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

New month and I have a new toy! Gonna Focus on my Merkur Futur clone - the Ming Shi 2000S. It's not expensive or gold plated, but it's a decent copy of a German engineered adjustable DE razor. Those Chinese guys have figured out how to make it lighter, cheaper, and by most reports as good a razor as the original. I plan to tame the beast with a Feather (Hi-Stainless that is).
    To keep my every other day shaves interesting I'll take my inspiration for soaps, brushes, and aftershaves from what I see in the Shave of the Day, or here, or on TV, or out the window...Oh! Look! A squirrel!

4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have finally gotten another r41 after giving mine to my son; and I have really been enjoying it as a daily shaver. ( I dropped my single edge focus in October, but circumstances demanded it -the new r41 I mean.) I have been trying all kinds of new blades and I plan to continue the trend through November. Great shaves and an early Happy Thanksgiving!!

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So, you're saying then - a squirrel brush? Cool!

6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

One razor - my Rockwell 6S. I've been shaving with it on Plate 3. I will see if I can bump up to Plates 4, 5, and 6 this month. Or not.

One blade - Topaz Platinum. I have been slogging through my 100-pack of them and am almost to the end. Not bad blades but not fantastic; I consider them good for 2-and-done.

One brush - Semogue Owners Club cherrywood boar. I am getting to the point where I can make reliable lathers with it -- with another month straight on it I should have it mastered.

Two soaps - Oops! There goes the Rule, so I guess it's a Focus instead. My RedDragon homemade glycerin soap puck and my Italian frankensoap -- I want to see how big a dent I can put in both if I spend a month alternating between them while heavily loading the boar brush.

Postshave - Alum every day and ... whatever tonic, balm or splash takes my fancy that day. Well, everybody has to go wild somewhere, right?

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I commend you guys doing a No Variation November but I will pass on doing a rule for the month. Instead I will do a soap focus. So it will be Nuàvia November for me with an assortment of brushes, razors and blades throughout the month.

8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm going to be in, but I still need to figure out what I'm going to do.

FWIW, over on another forum, someone threw out the idea of NOOOO!!!!!vember. It's described as shaving with your "yucky stuff". Around here, that sounds a lot like MAYhem, but without popsicle sticks. :)

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I plan to continue my Russian DE blade focus, and I also hope to master my Simpson Chubby 2 in Super. I'll be using my stainless steel Weber three-piece DE razor, and I'll rotate between five different brands of Russian DE blades: Voskhod, Polsilver SI, GSB, Perma-Sharp Super, and Astra SP. I've used all these brands of blades before, with the exception of the GSB's.

Assuming an average of three shaves per blade and 25 blades, this focus should continue into January. Just for fun, I'll try "pushing" one of each of the blades to see how many shaves I can comfortably get out of it.

[​IMG]

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Well, just to balance out a 30DC Multiverse, I am in this month with a No Focus Focus. I will not repeat a set up for the entire month.

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I will be in for November! Don't have a focus yet......might just be an unfocused focus this month. We'll see.

12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That's probably where I'm heading... I have way too many razors that have not seen use in quite a while.

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

After coming off of two months of not using the same razor twice, I will not be doing this LOL.

14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have a few new modern razors to put through their paces and then would like to revisit some of my other modern razors. To start will I have a new RazoRock Mamba and MJ-90 (with two different base plates), Can either of them dethrone the Baby Smooth at providing the most comfortable shave ever? On top of that I need to revisit my Merkur 34C, Ming Shi 2000s, Ikon X3, RazoRock Mentor, Cadet OC and CC set, and Merkur 15C. Looks like this will carry me through the end of the year ...

15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Finally my pet rock breeding program is working. I now have a Shuehiro Gomyuko 20,000 grit stone. I will be trying out various straights touched up on my new rock. @entropy1049 i finally did it!

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Renegades. :p

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I've done quite a few months this year of focusing on a single razor for a full month. I always (unless travelling) rotate brushes, soaps and après shave every day.
    So, for this month, I'll be doing a NOvember focus a week at a time. One razor, one blade, one soap, one brush and one AS a week at a time. I'm going to pick out stuff that hasn't seen as much usage lately, or is new to me.
    Starting tomorrow for a week will be the EJ 89lbl. It was my first DE, but I don't think I've used it since January as I've cycled through vintage DEs and and Injectors since. I'll use a Nacet with it, as I know I've never used that combo. Soap and AS will be the new to me Prohibition Style and Florida Water.

18. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I think I'll go with the Rockwell 6c on plate 3, Voskhod blades, Stirling Kong brush, Tabac soap, and Myrsol F/Extra now that there's a chill in the air.

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm still working on constructing a horse hair brush knot. I did find a source for mane hair and have a small quantity to go with the tail hair I harvested. Squirrels run too fast to catch, and I'm not harvesting from road kill.
    I hope I didn't step on your idea for a Futur Clone Rule/Focus. If that was in your plans please join me Neal! Your Q-Shave is a brother from another mother (test tube?), but of the same genetic clone line.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I actually decided on a different idea. However, a couple of things I need are still on the boat. So I plan to join you with my Future clone for a few days. Will be fun to compare notes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.