Nov 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What's YOUR plan for NOVember?

1. A Rule with a DE razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A Focus with a DE razor or razors

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. A Rule with a straight razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. A Focus with a straight razor or razors

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Something like a Focus but not really a focused Focus

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I'm just hanging out for Thanksgiving. Turkey baby!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Did someone say cookies?? Because I thought you had forgotten!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A Message From the Cartel

Happy Thanksshavinging.jpg

I thought it would be appropriate today to stop and take a moment to offer up some thanks for what goes on around this little corner of cyberspace. I know it’s a busy time of year for most of us whether it’s work related or just the holidays intruding into our schedules. But here are a few things I’m thankful for here at The Shave Den.

1. @Queen of Blades – Thank you for continuing to keep this place running. I know it’s a pain in the rear end at times, the bills pile up, the donations may trickle in too slowly and people complain too much – but the fun, fellowship and learning that goes on here is irreplaceable. Without your support and perseverance it wouldn’t exist.

2. The moderator crew – If all is going well we don’t hear much from this group but trust me, they’re busy. They put in extra hours on the board that has nothing to do with the cool stuff. It’s all about the nitty gritty of solving conflicts, enforcing rules, heading off problems and just keeping the rest of us guys and gals in line. It’s an often invisible and thankless job. Well today – THANK YOU!

3. The 30 Day Crew. You realize we are nearly to the end of our third year in this thread. About 30 months ago both @Bama_Samurai and myself thought we had about reached the end of its potential. Boy were we wrong. This is a unique place that I have never found duplicated on the web. Facebook groups can’t duplicate it. Twitter can’t do it. Not even another shaving forum has been able to sustain something like this. Why has it not only survived but thrived? Because of EVERYONE who participates in the discussions here. I have seen people bond with people they have never met in person. I see genuine caring about fellow shavers. When someone is sick or has a sick family member the concern and caring is REAL from this group. Amazing bunch of guys and gals and an amazing testimony how technology can bring people together. Imagine if the rest of the internet operated like we do! Oh - and we talk about shaving too! And Shenanigans. And cookies.

4. The SOTD Crew. The Shave of the Day crew is also amazing in their passion for great shaving and sharing photos of those shaves. There is some overlap between 30DC and SOTD and that is a very good thing. The quality of photos in the 30DC thread has increased exponentially and part of that is the influence of SOTD. I know some people prefer one group over the other but with both the synergy of this place grows.

5. The Newbies. Yep, all you guys and gals who are new and those who will be in the coming months. You remind us “old timers” of our early days in this hobby. We can laugh at your mistakes because we made them too, and offer wisdom in how to get better shaves. That makes us feel important and keeps us relevant. May we never run out of newbies who will, in an amazingly short time, become the old experts themselves. The cycle continues.

6. The Old Timers. Man, some of the knowledge and wisdom about shaving astounds me. I have rarely had to wait more than an hour for an answer when I have something out of place in my shave or need info on gear. Somebody around here has the answer.

7. And, on a personal note - all of the individuals I have had the privilege to talk too, laugh with, enable, and just plain get to know. I'd thank each of you invidually but this post would take hours to read. One deserves a special mention thoug - @Bama Samurai . Am I ever happy you had a great November back in 2014, because that month convinced you to try and pull a few people together and do a Rule together for a month. A bunch of relative newbies with a few old-timers thrown in out of curiosity and off we went. Without this group I am convinced I would never have held the course and learned everything I have about shaving. I would never have considered pain sticks, or straight razors, or popsicle sticks, or bolts. I would never have discovered how important technique is to successful shaving. And here’s a secret. Technique trumps tools when shaving, but it also trumps in every area of life as well. It isn't always the technology and tools that allow us to succeed. It's applying the right principles and actions that separates the good from the great!

To everyone here, and to your families and friends, a very Happy Thanksgiving! Now get off of here and go eat some turkey!

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

meme_98710402.png

Screwtape, Keithmax, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  3. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

I am sooooo hopelessly behind in this group, I doubt I’ll be able to catch up. Anyway....Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Hope you all enjoy the day!

:eatdrink023:

Screwtape, Keithmax, PLAla and 9 others like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    20171123_132226.jpg

RyX, SharptoothC, Screwtape and 13 others like this.
  5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It isn't about catching up as much as hanging on for the ride! :chores016:

RyX, Screwtape, Bama Samurai and 9 others like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Doug!

PLAla, Douglas Carey, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

There will be no shopping by my family tonight.
    D7C88E07-008C-4A1A-9CE8-1481218248F5.jpeg

RyX, Screwtape, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  8. Norcalnewb

I don't have the unicorn emoji @PickledNorthern has, so I'll just say :happy088:

Great post, Neal.

RyX, Screwtape, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Andrew! Looks like a happy crew.

Happy Thanksgiving!

PLAla, mrchick, Douglas Carey and 6 others like this.
  10. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

:signs011:

What he said!!

RyX, PLAla, Douglas Carey and 6 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Is Thanksgiving over? Close enough? Just curious because anyone who is struggling as to what gift I would like this year (Yeah, I know that's the main concern of all of you out there) here's an idea. I might even get over my stropping hurdle if this showed up! Just saying.

Damascus-Steel-Straight-Razor-with-Camel-Bone-Snakewood-and-Brass-handle-1.jpg

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thank you Doug.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Happy Thanksgiving Adam. Great lineup and photo.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful lineup and photo Mark. You did a great job on replacing the knot on the brush.

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have saw those units for the Big Green Egg. I am interested to get your thoughts on how it works and the durability.

RyX, Screwtape, PLAla and 7 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason. Guilty as charged. I think I have used the Blu most of the times I have used the Calypso this year.

Screwtape, jtspartan, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Happy Thanksgiving Brian. The PRC Siren is such a classic looking razor.

Keithmax, PLAla, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Happy Thanksgiving Jim. Beautiful photo as well. You have quite a collection of Aristocrats.

Screwtape, PLAla, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Happy Thanksgiving Neal.

Screwtape, PLAla, wristwatchb and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.