Nov 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2017.

?

What's YOUR plan for NOVember?

1. A Rule with a DE razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. A Focus with a DE razor or razors

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. A Rule with a straight razor

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. A Focus with a straight razor or razors

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Something like a Focus but not really a focused Focus

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I'm just hanging out for Thanksgiving. Turkey baby!

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Did someone say cookies?? Because I thought you had forgotten!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Charlie!

2. Norcalnewb

74B6C811-9F46-4DE1-B35D-7F03E351F572.jpeg

November 19 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    @Vlasta Sample K
    Ralf Aust
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Aramis AS

This was one of my first SR, and it still shaves well. I am certainly not the expert on SR around her, but IMO it is hard to argue the value of these razors. The price is good for a straight, and they shave well. I got a DFS on two passes, and could have had the baby if I hadn't been rushed while doing my second pass. Just a great shave. This soap was very soapy smelling, but was fairly slick and had nice cushion. It took just a bit of work to thin it out the way u like for SR shaves. Aramis for the win this Sunday morning. I hope everyone has a great day!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking photo Jim. Have a great Sunday with the family.

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Having packed up my Den for the upcoming move, I have very limited choices for TOVember. The variety will come to an end soon. This morning I loaded a Titan Mild in my Mongoose and started to attempt to shave. The Mild was an excellent lather wiper but was not doing much as far as whisker removal. I binned the blade after 1/2 a pass and switched to a Feather Super Pro. Much better! In fact I tried to remove my Adam’s apple
    TOVember SOTD
    L & L Cuir et Épices Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Mongoose Razor
    Feather Super Pro Blade
    Lucky Tiger
    L & L Cuir et Épices After Shave
    Have a blessed [​IMG]Sunday!

RyX, Drygulch, MR41 and 8 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo and lineup Brian. I can imagine the Mongoose with a Titan Mild was a let down after using straights for so long.

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks. Let down is an understatement. I’m not sure I could have finished a shave with it in ten passes.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 19, 2017
    Above The Tie Calypso R1
    Feather (1)
    Rubberset 400 #3 with WSP HMW
    Nuàvia Blu

[​IMG]

I decided to change up the hardware a little. The brush is a Rubberset 400#3 with a WSP HMW knot. I will be using this brush each time I use Nuàvia Blu for the remainder of the month. I also added in the ATT Calypso R1 in an attempt to spend sometime with my lesser used razors. The big Rubberset loaded and lathered up a mountain of lather with the scent filling the room. I went with a traditional 3 pass shave followed by touch ups along my jawline and lower right neck. I missed the baby on my neck while having a couple of weepers due to operator error. I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

RyX, Drygulch, MR41 and 7 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I know the feeling. I have found the Kai Mild blades unusable in every artist club razor I have tried. They feel like they are pulling my hair rather than cutting.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Is that also Kai Captain Mild? Are they the same thing? I use them in the Black Hawk with good success. I found the Feather Pros that you sent me to be better. Haven't tried the Feather Supers yet! I'm a little nervous for those. But my experience on Artist Club SE razors is only related to the Black Hawk.....perhaps one day I can try a General or Mongoose.

Drygulch, NCoxSTL, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They might be the same. I bought my package in December 2014 so Kai could have made changes in the blade over the years. I basically stick with 2 blades for the artist club razors, the Feather Pro and Supers.

11. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint! Enjoy your day!

12. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture!

13. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Brian! We'll give you a pass on TOVember.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

When I mentioned in an earlier post that I had a sample of Jermyn Street, Jason @jtspartan wrote that he had been considering getting it and was curious about it.

If you liked TOBS Sandalwood, you can actually get that one as a complete collection - everything from a shower gel and a shampoo to a deodorant stick and aftershave and cologne. I know Fendrihan for one carries the whole set.

Also, if you liked Sandalwood, you might like Mr. Taylor's. It's their sandalwood as a base with cedar, musk and patchouli added to spice it up a bit. Again, it's available as a complete collection.

If you're interested in Mr. Taylor's at all, I could send you a sample to try if you like. Just PM me.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Now, that sounds like fun. Enjoy your time with Maya!

17. wristwatchb

Thank you, Jim. I've been goofing around with some different scrap booking backgrounds this month. I recently found a big book of them at Wal-mart for a few bucks. I was standing next to a lady when I discovered them and muttered something like "Oh, that's cool." She looked at me, and I could tell she was surprised that I'd be excited about scrap booking supplies. Made me smile. She'd really think I was el nutso if she knew I was going to use them for my SOTD photos. :rofl:

I'm running out of ideas to take original photos of the same razor and brush. I may need to hit Wal-mart again soon or explore the great outdoors with my gear like @clint64 and @Douglas Carey :)

I hope you are having a great Sunday!

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@Douglas Carey has much better scenery than I do. Plus my neighbors already give me the "eye" when I take photos out front. ;)

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you for the recommendation on Mr Taylor's. It is already looking like 2018 might be the year of shaving creams for me.

20. wristwatchb

The last few shaves with the Perma-Sharp blade have been super close and comfortable. I'm making an extra effort to stay focused, and I've used alum the last couple of mornings on my fingers to help with skin stretching. I'm trying to stretch my skin the same way I would do it with a straight razor. I've also substituted some N to S strokes with crisscross strokes on my lower neck. I think this comes closer to a true ATG pass for me. Lastly, my touch-ups include some ATG action on my chin and my upper lip. This really gets me close in those normally challenging areas, and if I pay close attention, I can now do it with no weepers.

My new routine takes a few minutes longer, but the results are better and it's more fun. I plan to keep going with this blade to see how many good shaves I can get. I've never tried more than four shaves with a DE blade, so five would be a record. I'm not doing it to save money. It's for science. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.