NOV 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred method of making lather?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2015.
  1. Scuttle

12.3%
  2. Bowl, warm water

33.3%
  3. Bowl, cold water

3.5%
  4. Face lather, warm loaded brush

47.4%
  5. Face lather, cold loaded brush

8.8%
  6. Shave stick, warm water

8.8%
  7. Shave stick, cold water

3.5%
  8. Aerosol Foam

1.8%
  9. Lather is for the weak, I dry shave.

1.8%
  10. I am just here for the cookies

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

My birthday isn't that far away and I want to use my birth razors in January. I also want to use more boar brushes next year.

3. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Silicone is a great idea ... never thought about that actually. I guess I have to try that with the blank head for the Switchback 400

4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

The last daily shave with the Feather AC was a good one. Since that was the point of this focus, I would call it a success. I can't say I ever got a BBS this month, but I'm happy with consistent two pass DFS. This has been quite a learning experience and I am happy to finish the month with no scars or scabs. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I don't know that I could have finished the month without it. I actually grew to like this razor over the month and will keep it in my rotation.
    SOTD
    TOBS Grapefruit
    Rubberset 400
    Feather AC SS
    Feather Professional (7)
    Witch Hazel
    Old Spice AS
    Enjoy your week!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448897981.613036.jpg

Bill_F, cmorris357, Rufus T. and 7 others like this.
  5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Adam give the Frank Shaving Pur-Tech knots a look. They are Gen 4 and reasonably priced. On the Bay.

Bill_F, Rufus T., Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You can also search Etsy for Ubbersoft

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Rufus T. and 6 others like this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

One "b", Ubersoft. You can also search http://www.aliexpress.com/ and save much.

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Rufus T. and 5 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nicely done again. You see? Nothing to it.

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Even though it has a smaller sampler size I'm happy to see the Moscow blade achieved the highest percentage of BBS and 11 in a row. Also, no irritation. Now that's what I call a Russian win!

11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Nothing wrong at all with consistent DFS. I usually call that a win on any day with any razor. Like you I was happy with the consistency of two pass shaves with the Feather. Great time this month as part of the Brotherhood. Pain sticks forever!

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

NOVember - NO Variation
    November 30

Razor - Durham Duplex Folding
    Blade - [​IMG](2)
    Brush -Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Soap - Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Post - Cold Water, Alum, The Veg

Final shave for November and I'm finishing on the second day of the Durham Duplex. Only change in setup is the soap. Went to the Fat and kept the Wolf Whiskers brush in. A fantastic load and lather from the Silvertip, enough to name this combo too. FatWolf seems appropriate. Alongside BoSFat I now have to great setups for brush/soap with Mitchell's.

I will summarize this shave by saying the Durham Duplex is an interesting razor. It does work, but I'm not going to say it works really well. One pass gets enough reduction to know you've been there. The second pass gets CCS but anything further requires something else, at least for me. Now, a third pass might get to DFS but I seriously doubt it. I used my EJ DE89 and Bic Chrome Platinum again today to finish with DFS. The Durham is a unique piece of shaving history and for the cost (they sell cheap on the bay) it's worth having around. Will it ever make it into rotation? Nope. However, I could see using it as a backup straight in the event you needed to avoid further damage if that should happen with a straight razor. The technique is smiliar, since it's really a safety straight, but you certainly wouldn't risk further damage from it. I'm not sure what it would take to cut yourself with this thing. And, probably don't want to find out.

As November ends I want to say a big thanks to everyone who has read my posts and commented as well. It was a fun month with a few of us on the pain stick together and watching a lot of other really great progress from the regulars. As for the newbies, you're all great and on the right road to really enjoying your shaves! Keep at it. Technique, Technique, Technique.............on to December.
    Durham Duplex.jpg

13. mrchick

Brotherhood of the Pain Sticks Unite!

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

All pain stick brothers rise for the Pain Stick Fight Song

15. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

November 30

Razor – 1974 Gillette SS
    Blade – GSB
    Brush – AOS Badger
    Soap – Gada Cool Mint shave cream
    Post - Cold water splash, Witch Hazel and TSD ISZ

Decided I needed to get one more shave in for November before switching over to the December thread, mainly because it is menthol Monday and I love using the mentholated products. Another good near BBS shave with the birth year and quarter razor. I have to work harder with this razor than I do the Cadet OC or the L6 to get a BBS shave, but it can deliver them. I have learned some new techniques because they were necessary with this razor to get a BBS shave. The J hooking around the adam's apple has been especially good for getting what has always been (from electric to cartridge to DE) a problem area for me. It is a technique I will likely use for touch-up in the future.

My other main conclusion is that I am not sold at all on the AOS brush. I am going to be using the Stirling Kong for the next month and so the AOS and the Stirling will get some direct comparisons. I also have a handle that I need to set a knot in and so will be looking at either an Ubersoft knot or one from AMack4Shaving on Etsy.

As others have said, thank you Chris (@Bama Samurai) for getting these threads going and for your dedication to the 30DC! Thank you to everyone for a good November! I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the experiences of the Brotherhood with the pain sticks. Maybe if Boris finds me I will end up using one in the future.

Looking forward to all the fun and frivolity on the December 30 Day Thread!

16. mrchick

Hai!!!!

17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I believe that's what they use? I would love a Silvertip for my Switchback 400 but I don't have the confidence to do it.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Don't look over your shoulder.

Bill_F, wristwatchb, Rufus T. and 7 others like this.
  19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I would like a painstick someday. I'll console myself with straights this coming month.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Neal, you're the best! The things you are willing to try amazes me. :happy088:
    image.jpeg