NOV 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Oct 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred method of making lather?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2015.
  1. Scuttle

12.3%
  2. Bowl, warm water

33.3%
  3. Bowl, cold water

3.5%
  4. Face lather, warm loaded brush

47.4%
  5. Face lather, cold loaded brush

8.8%
  6. Shave stick, warm water

8.8%
  7. Shave stick, cold water

3.5%
  8. Aerosol Foam

1.8%
  9. Lather is for the weak, I dry shave.

1.8%
  10. I am just here for the cookies

3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of! And, it might be a better option than the one I'm considering!

wmbjr, clint64, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:bounce017: th-6.jpg :bounce017:

wmbjr, clint64, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Congrats!!! I raised two daughters. So I sympathize empathize and pity rejoice for you! Seriously.....many congrats, and get ready to build an extra bathroom all to yourself in a few years.

wmbjr, clint64, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  4. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Whoa!
    First you find that photo of my Mom, now one of me!!
    Of course I'm the one on the far right, I still have some color left in the little hair that remains on my head!

(Can't tell for sure, but probably Mr.C on the left, and Clint in the center (note the string for his motorcycle glasses attached to his neck!)

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

wmbjr, Bill_F, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Well November is coming to a close and I decided to throw out the usual shave and, since I won't be shaving tomorrow, start December a day early. I used my Vie-Long horse with olive wood handle, whipped up some MWF, and grabbed my straight. I've been wanting to take my Boker Red Injun for a full test ever since I received it in less than shave ready condition and put it to the hones. If I do say so myself I did a pretty good job. I did a full NS pass followed by a full SN pass. Both very smooth and efficient. I would have called it DFS at that point, but grabbed my Phoenix and caught the baby with a little neck touch up. I'm calling this one of my top 3 shaves ever. image.jpg

wmbjr, Bill_F, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Clint, when I bought my Switchback I also bought a blank, yeah after the New Year and everything settles way down.

wmbjr, Bill_F, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gimme 20!:happy088:

wmbjr, Bill_F, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

10. Bama Samurai

No Variation November!!
    Completed!

30 November 2015

image.jpeg

One last nice two pass before moving on to December and a new focus! Thanks to everyone for another fantatstic month with the 30DC!

Have a terrific Tuesday!!
    :)

wmbjr, mrchick, Drygulch and 6 others like this.
  11. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

Congratulations Chris! Sounds like a win on all fronts!

12. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

CONGRATS!!!!! Glad everyone is healthy! Enjoy God's blessing!

wristwatchb and Drygulch like this.
  13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

OK last shave of the month. I switched it up last second. I bowl lathered Arko from my Victorian style shaving mug but added 3 drops of M-bomb to the bowl. I whiped up a chilly and perfect lather a la Arko with my 20 mm WD synthetic. It was like frozen bug spray come down from the heavens to grace my face. I decided to shave with my Sterling. The most hated razor I have. While I was grabbing it I saw a package of vintage D1 marked made in England Gillette Blue Blades so the Russian in me decided to give it a shot. I made it through one pass with it before I decided that age did not do the blue blade any favors. I didn't want to open a new tuck of GSB so I popped yesterday's Sputnik in the sterling and chucked the blue blade into the hole of no return at the back of the medicine cabinet. I had great reduction but I was afraid it tugged too much for me. I hid the rest of the package so I wouldn't have such thoughts again.

Back to the shave. Warm lather, check, Amazing menthol tingle and freeze, check, great little brush that feels like clouds patting said amaing warm tingly lather on your face, check. Cheap crappy razor with less substance then Miley Cyrus' sense of decency? Check. Blade that cuts and not rips, Now that that's a check we shall get on with it. 2nd pass still amazing amounts of lather, still wet and perfect feeling. I started XTG with the Sputnik blade and it cut. Now I may have been hasty tossing the older blue blade. I checked angles again and then went so shallow that the safety bar didn't touch my skin but the blade did. Now its smooth. Revenge of the unbent blade. I finished up that pass with the crazy shallow no safety bar angle and lathered up for a 3rd pass. Now it took me awhile to finish the 2nd pass because of the angles so I had to add a few drops of water and rework my lather mug. This time the lather was cold went it went on and OH MY!!! it was eye watering cold with the menthol kick. I liked it. 3rd pass ATG with my silly shallow angle offered a BBS on the cheeks, upper lip, and most of the chin. This is when my crazy flared again and said "I'll bet we could catch the baby on this setup" So I stupidly lathered up my neck and the rough spots around my jawline and chin. I did some gslide and buffing on these spots rinsed off with cold (froze again from the M-Bomb) and buffed off some on my neck. I got the baby firmly except. My neck wasn't that bright red color before.

I pulled out the Alum stick and went at my wet face and neck. Cheeks, alright no tingle even. Upper lip? Some lightning at the corners. Chin? Kinda warm. Neck? %^#&#$#^#**@@%!!!!!! I swallowed back the cursing and rubbed the alum until it stopped hurting. After both a warm water rinse and a cold to remove most of the Alum I rubbed in some Nivea Mild Aftershave Balm from the Boxtour box. It has a much stronger scent but its still light and pleasant. It moisturized my face after the drying Alum and it felt pretty good. I still have some stinging on my neck but it too shall fade by morning when I get up for the day.

This razor is staying on the kiddie rack with the worst brushes and the Bic cartridge handles that have bladeless cartridge blanks on them for the kids to play with in the tub. I couldn't in good conscience offer this razor to anyone to shave with. Except maybe Neil to compare it to his Rapira but I would feel bad even then. I'm liking the M-Bomb and the Nivea Mild. Everyday makes the box harder because there is so much really good stuff in it.

Thank you all for making this thread and this forum such a nice place. Thank you @Bama Samurai for maintaining this thread. I had fun and I'll join you tomorrow on the new thread and a new (easier) focus.

Bill_F, NCoxSTL, mrchick and 2 others like this.