NOVember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2016.

?

What are your plans for NOVember

Poll closed Nov 30, 2016.
  1. No Variation baby! Gonna RULE this month!

16.7%
  2. No Variation on the razor/blade but I'll FOCUS around it!

10.0%
  3. Gonna do my own thing, thank you very much....because I CAN!

36.7%
  4. Shenanigans Palooza baby!

20.0%
  5. Forget this shaving thing....it's really NO SHAVE November, no matter what you say!

3.3%
  6. I'm more worried about getting in shape to make it to the table on Thanksgiving!

3.3%
  7. Cookies. Lots of cookies. SO MANY cookies!

36.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to NOVember!

The Cartel is proud to welcome you to the November 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus Discussion.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! If you’ve been here awhile you know the drill so jump in and help the new guys get their feet wet. Well, not really, that would mean they have a serious problem with how to shave around a sink…..or the shower….or else their plumbing is just really bad.

So, what is this group about? A couple of things, really. First and foremost this is a TECHNIQUE focused group. All the fancy and shiny shave toys in the world won’t give you a great shave if you don’t know how to use them. That applies to any type of razor from DE safety razor to injector to traditional straights, kamisori, pain sticks, popsicle stick razors, sharp can lids and all the rest. Second, it’s a COMMUNITY focused group. Everyone here is supportive of the new people learning, the old timers learning new stuff or just working with a new razor or trying to adjust to fix an issue. We support each other and learn together. Third, it’s about SHENANIGANS. Yep, we sometimes drift off topic around here just because we can and it’s fun. As @Bama_Samurai stated in the inaugural edition back in January 2015, this is an un-hijackable thread.

cbf44jjczrjb1fcx6eog.jpg

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique. I can also attest to the ability of the 30 Day Focus to adjust one or more areas of the shave, or to open doors to new methods and tools. This month we celebrate “No Shave November…..uh…..wait a minute……no we don’t…..we turn it into NO Variation November. In other words, we encourage you to pick one razor, blade, soap, brush, and use it the entire month. Or mix and match soaps and brushes with that one razor and blade. Or use one straight. Or two…..get the idea? And yes, a true “no variation” is really just a rule, but you might want to use it to learn a new razor. Or just do what you want…it’s your shave and you are more than welcome to freelance around here and enjoy the shenanigans and cookies! Show off your best and favorite gear and make the rest of us run out and buy it because they it’s so awesome! It’s called enabling, remember? And, this is an un-hijackable thread, remember? You won’t throw us off. Much.

Well, that’s my introduction for the month. Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. The cookie of the month is Oreo. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out!

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. You may not say anything negative about Russian blades, especially Voskhod. The Cartel is listening. And we have spies everywhere. They’re usually passed out drunk, but we get lucky occasionally.

7. Don't think we don't hear when you badmouth Rapira either. We're vodka loving wannabe Russians, not blithering idiots. Well, ok so sometimes.....and Ivan.....well you get the idea.

8. You might also want to be careful mentioning anything negative about Feathers. The Yakuza has been more active lately and, frankly, the Russians would be more concerned if they weren’t already drunk.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to NOVember! Group hug people! And the cookie of the month……why Pumpkin, of course!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well, I'd love to tell you I have a plan for this month but.....not yet. Yeah, the Grand Blade Trials are still my main focus. But...I'm considering taking a month sabbatical and focusing on straights for a month again. I have two that are ready to go and that is still the one thing I'm the least confident with. Maybe a month of forced stropping and really working them again would be good for me. I could always take a 3 day break to run a Trial. Hmmmmmmm.......decisions decisions. Anyway, looking forward to the 23rd consecutive month of this thread and all of the wonderful people who make it fantastic. That would be YOU!

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Straights? Hmmmm.. Good idea!

I am in. Strict rule for November.

Magic Salon Razor
    Voskhod halves
    Arko Shave Stick
    Plisson Synthetic

AS will be mostly Veg, about to decant a fresh bottle. Clubman and Osage will be in the mix as well.

Goal this month is to refine the shavette routine to minimalist perfection. Looking for DFS on two with mostly quiet Alum. Will focus on pressure a bit more this month than angle.

Also, if you're new, welcome aboard! You are joining up with the team that can show you how to get great shaves automatically. Give a month, get the skills to last a lifetime.

Have a great November!

wristwatchb, Drygulch, RyX and 7 others like this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I will participate with a 30 day focus for November. I really started part of it this past Sunday. Mark @Boojum1 sent me some Personna 74 DE blades. Since they are made of Tungsten steel, many report getting huge numbers of shaves from each blade. For part of the November Focus I want to give them a try and see if the usage claims are true for me and the way I shave. I will use the blades in a variety of razors throughout the month.

I will also focus on synthetic brushes for November starting with my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic. With any luck the "Los Tres Amigos Dos Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic LE" will arrive and be placed into the rotation.

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm going to continue working through my soaps and creams. Trying them with different brushes, types of razor and the ultimate hot scuttle test. Where are the cookies?

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

My plan for November is to do something of a "No Focus" focus or, as I referred to it in the October thread, a "No Expectations" focus. Basically, I'm going to just go with a couple of favorite razors and blades and just let things happen. This is a follow-on to last week when I ditched my OC focus and just decided to go with a nice, mild razor (NCD Milord), an Astra SP blade, and just enjoy the shaves.

Douglas Carey, mrchick, RyX and 7 others like this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

23rd consecutive month on this thread! My focus for this month will be to maximize the effectiveness of each shave. I have been playing with different patterns with my neck to get the DFS up. For quite a while I have been trying for 2 pass DFS on my neck, but at this point I am open to 3 and 4 pass, if I can get the neck to long lasting smoothness. I will be completely ignoring the suggestion of No Variation. I have six razors inbound to work with, and a lot more to hone and play with. I also have 20 soaps in my rotation, and 17 aftershaves. I will continue to use the Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavendar, & Cedarwood every other shave until it is gone. My brush for this month (when I am not traveling for work) will be my 28mm synthetic, Ubersoft II by Shave Envy. I also plan on instigating some Shenanigans, and doing some focused enabling in November.

My first suggestion is for the US members of the forum. I am suggesting using a straight razor, Kamisori, shavette, or Pain Stick for November 8th's shave. Some might consider a bad cut shaving accident with a deadly sharp razor to be preferable to either result of the election, so I think we should do our part.

Douglas Carey, mrchick, RyX and 6 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Cookies are on the table next to the door on your left as you come in. If the plate is empty try again in about a half hour. Ivan sometimes gets behind.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

In spite of the best efforts of Glorious Motherland, it appears the election will be held on time and as scheduled. Therefore, the Cartel encourages all US members who take up @Drygulch 's suggestion to shave early in the day so as not to encourage extra, shall we say, pressure after the results are announced.

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be back this month. I am continuing my den thinning Focus from the past couple of months. I made a little progress last month, but more is needed.

Assuming I feel up to it by then, and I think I should, I will join in on this. If my blades for my Pain Stick are in (although Amazon says between Nov 25 and Dec 9) I will use the Pain Stick, as this seems most appropriate. If not, the Koraat will get the call, as it is the meanest looking beast I have. If I am not even more sick on the 9th, I may have a repeat then, too.

11. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

I'm in for this month. My Rule will be as followed:

CJB Pain Stick
    Feather Super Pro
    Whipped Dog 30mm HM
    The Fat
    Thayers
    The Veg

My goals this month are to really hone in my technique with the Pain Stick and to only carve the turkey this month instead of my face.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Douglas Carey, mrchick, RyX and 7 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

relative to rule #6-I have no comment about Russian blades, as I haven't tried any, but I am looking forward to experiencing the country's leather fragrance, by way of aftershave and shave soap.

13. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

I'm in. My plan is to focus on getting better with my Gillette Tech, and to try out my new soaps.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, Drygulch, RyX and 6 others like this.
  14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Very, very nice. I wonder how long it would take to carve a turkey with a Pain Stick? Certainly longer than it does to carve your face!

15. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Gulp! I'm shaving with Russian steel for the first time ever. :shocked003::scared011::sad024:

SOTD_103116.jpg

1.gif

16. wristwatchb

1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  17. wristwatchb

Count me in with the Pain Stick! :happy036:

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm in!
    Focus on my hybrid Frankenrazor three piece double edge nickle finish Fatip Picollo OC base plate with the Muhle r89 Grande cap & handle. Blades will be Generic Israelis from Family Dollar. If I run out they are available at several location around town and for cheap.
    Brush/soap/AS will vary so I can concentrate that Focus on the blade/ combo-razor combo.
    Flibberdegibbet! (I found it on the Interwebs, so it's real)

20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

First November focus shave, day 2 with Arko. Decided to move quickly to the hot scuttle test because todays was the coldest day of the season, -2 C. I had the Vorpal straight ready to rock and roll so I boiled my water and soaked the brush while I took a shower.

I really expect Arko to perform, it has always delivered for me no matter what the water but today was the first time with the heat. The lather for the first pass was just OK and I thought OK, Arko does better warm. Second pass with the lather was a disaster, bubbly thin then disappeared. I was able to recover some by rebuilding the lather in a bowl. Still the lather was way below standard so I decided to go with a mild angle and just 3 passes. Fortunately just a tingle from alum and far from BBS.

Irritation A Closeness B Smoothness A- Sharpness A-

IMG_3115.jpg