NOVember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2016.

?

What are your plans for NOVember

Poll closed Nov 30, 2016.
  1. No Variation baby! Gonna RULE this month!

16.7%
  2. No Variation on the razor/blade but I'll FOCUS around it!

10.0%
  3. Gonna do my own thing, thank you very much....because I CAN!

36.7%
  4. Shenanigans Palooza baby!

20.0%
  5. Forget this shaving thing....it's really NO SHAVE November, no matter what you say!

3.3%
  6. I'm more worried about getting in shape to make it to the table on Thanksgiving!

3.3%
  7. Cookies. Lots of cookies. SO MANY cookies!

36.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. I admit the monthly shave calendar serves a big purpose for me. I take pictures at least a week ahead of time, so the calendar app helps me remember what I am supposed to use each day. ;) Trying to cope with the pain in my back, the calendar really helps when I take pain killers. :happy102:

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

NOVember Finale'

Proraso White/ B-400 Tuxedo brush
    Weck shavette & Personna blade
    Fatip/ Muhle Grande hybrid, Astra SP
    Alum/ Styptic/ Cremo Face Moisturizer

SOTD 11302016.gif
    Final shave for November, I worked in my Focus razor. While returning from visiting family an Interstate side sign alerted me to the need to stretch my legs.
    Picked up a full sized Weck at an antique store somewhere in Alabama. Larger than the Bantam that takes the same Personna blades but not safer. Hadn't used White Proraso in a few days, so lather happened. Got my angle right away and then things went sideways. Dipped a corner of the new blade near the corner of my mouth. That white soap really makes the circulatory fluid color pop! Nothing like a bit of blood to slow ya down and make paying attention job #1. All that on my first pass. Relathered for next two passes, but I set the shavette down. Finished with the OC DE for a SAS. Alum slowed the error leak, but I grabbed up the stick for pin point coagulation. Some lessons are written in scar tissue. With blood on steel. ;)
    Great month yous guys! Thanks for letting me hang out.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very good post and description of you focus. Thanks. :happy088:

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks Doug. The Rule is still too much of a commitment for me. I'm getting better at Focusing. Too much of the whole thing is still new to me. I figure another decade or three should put me knowing what I really want. Right about then some new WizBang soap, brush, or razor will get my attention.

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Not doing well on posting my shaves. Here are Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday. Sunday and today used the Kinfolks The Ace razor, and Monday used the Kinfolks Blue Steel. All three shaves used Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavender & Cedarwood soap with the Soap Eating Monster 28mm Synthetic. Been doing a pretty consistent 3 pass pattern, N/S, S/N, XTG with a bit of touch up on the neck. Shaves have been fairly consistent DFS, but have had some nicks.
    IMG_5163.JPG
    This was my focus for the month: “My focus for this month will be to maximize the effectiveness of each shave. I have been playing with different patterns with my neck to get the DFS up. For quite a while I have been trying for 2 pass DFS on my neck, but at this point I am open to 3 and 4 pass, if I can get the neck to long lasting smoothness. I will be completely ignoring the suggestion of No Variation. I have six razors inbound to work with, and a lot more to hone and play with. I also have 20 soaps in my rotation, and 17 aftershaves. I will continue to use the Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavendar, & Cedarwood every other shave until it is gone. My brush for this month (when I am not traveling for work) will be my 28mm synthetic, Ubersoft II by Shave Envy. I also plan on instigating some Shenanigans, and doing some focused enabling in November.”

Ignore No Variation, Check.
    Consistent shaves, including my neck, Check.
    Using up the B&M soap. Nope. Have been using only it since about the middle of the month, and its still freaking going. Going to stay on it until it is gone. Can’t be more than three shaves left in it.
    Focused Enabling, Check.
    Shenanigans, hmm. Not sure. Did I start anything this month?

Keithmax, RyX, wristwatchb and 7 others like this.
  6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy102: I know exactly what you mean.

RyX, Bama Samurai, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

No shenanigans that I heard about. Very good description of the past and your future. Thanks Adam.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture!

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Adjustable Fat Boy
    Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (4)
    Brush: Oscar 11 w/ El Druida Manchurian, multi colored handle
    Soap: Route 66 Bay Lime Twist
    Aftershave: Old Spice Fresh Lime
    Great way to finish my month with a 3 pass near BBS. I've enjoyed reading everyone's this month and have learned very much from all the participants. Had an excellent month being introduced to three excellent soaps. Two new soaps from Route 66, and a Reef Point Soap.
    The Route 66 Cranberry Citrus is an amazing blend of tart cranberries, juicy red grapefruit and sweet orange, with tangy tangerine and lemon-lime. The Route 66 Bay Lime Twist is a delightful synergy of pure East Indian Bay brightened with a generous twist of lime, mingled with ginger and supporting notes of lemon, lily, and grapefruit. Both soaps have a long lasting, slick lather, protective cushion and glide with great soothing post shave conditioning. Both soaps are winners.
    The Reef Point Soap Tranquility lavender has long been recognized as a fragrance that helps with relaxation, and together with Peppermint essential oil this soap will provide you with a cool and relaxing shave. A real treat for the senses. This is another great soap. I don't feel the Reef Point Soap is as slick as the Route 66 soaps, but it is very close.

30 11 16.jpg

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Very nice Doug!

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Jim!

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Andrew.

Drygulch, Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great setup Doug. I have found it Reef Point takes a little more water and work to get as slick as Route 66. Route 66 soaps have to be some of the easiest to lather and with some of the best performance.

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful picture, Doug! Great looking brush!

Drygulch, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

November 30, last shave of this month's Rockwell Rule:

Rockwell 6s on plate #3
    Rockwell blade (12)
    Old tub of TOBS Avocado croap
    Old drugstore brush
    Alum and then Thayers Witch Hazel Original

Lather was perfect. In fact it was so nice that I lathered up for one more pass than normal just to enjoy it - and overdid the shave. The alum was warm across my entire face and I used the splash of Thayers tonight not just to complete the routine but because it felt really necessary. On the other hand, the Thayers cooled everything right down and I don't feel any razorburn or see any redness now, so no harm done, I guess.

The Rockwell blade seemed fine tonight on shave 12, so rather than discarding it, I think I'll switch it into my new razor to start my December aggressive dual comb and see how that goes.

It was a good month and I learned a lot both from my own practice and from other people's notes and pics: finished by making my first perfect bowl lather ever (at least, the best I've ever enjoyed), got the Rockwell 6s dialled in, got cap riding and skin stretching to be near-automatic techniques for me, and roadtested the Rockwell blade.

See you in the new thread in December.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Based on shaving inspiration from Neal, I propose Rawhide as the 30 Day Theme Song.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's hard to argue with Jake and Elwood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011:

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree Clint. Perhaps I'll have to give the Reef Point Soap more water. Thanks.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That is amazing. :happy096: