Oct 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for OCtober?

1. Shave with one or more really cool DE OC razors.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Shave with one or more really cool SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Shave with one or more DE and SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Durham Duplex counts, right?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. All straight, all the time.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. To find the freaking cookies I keep hearing so much about.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. I'm just waiting until Halloween. I need candy!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Actually, I was thinking I should try to pick one up.

2. PickledNorthern

My dog lays on the shower mat and watches me shave a lot. Somehow though, since she won't even let me clip her nails, and pretty much destroys the bathroom from shaking water everywhere if I try to give her a bath, I doubt she would sit still for a lather and a straight shave.

3. PickledNorthern

Hang in there, Paul. We're all holding a good thought for you.

4. PickledNorthern

[​IMG]

-Joseph Rodgers
    -DeRuitem Candy Stripe Finest
    -Tabac
    -British Sterling

Day 1 of my off handed focus, and there was blood. Very little, it was simply a matter of moving a little too quickly, and not flaring before touchdown. Basically just a scratch, and I can't even see it now, but I am betting it will show in a few hours.

I am a lefty, and somewhat ambidextrous with most things. I can shave with a straight using either hand comfortably on almost all of my face, but I feel awkward as Hell with my right hand on my left jawline, going W to E. I did it today, and it finished up really smooth, but it was like going back to straight shave number one. I probably spent ten minutes on that part alone, plus the blood seeping through the lather had me flashing back to my Feather SS days.

I hope you all have a great and safe next week.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

With the spiked heel & toe, that razor requires more focus that I achieve all month. Good Show Brian!

6. PickledNorthern

If you post a picture of the group hug from that meetup, I am OUTTA here.

7. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

A local store has had one for sale forever. Let me know if you want me to pick it up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Good point(pun intended)
    This one does require focus. In fact I did leave a small weeper this morning. I hate it when I get a weeper on a Sunday morning. I donate plasma on Sunday mornings and new wounds always cause lots of consternation amongst the nurses. Today, I had to get a second opinion from the nurse in charge before donating. I was surprised, as it wasn't even a cut, just a slight weeper that had already healed.

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Eeeewww!

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

67C59D1B-F2A8-4FD5-BE9F-4F4A7430B694.jpeg

OCtober 1 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
    Gillette Old Type
    Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale AS

It was a great shave this morning to start of OCtober. This has become one of my favorite soaps as I love the post shave feel. The scent is top notch as well. A DE shave was nice after a full month of SE shaves. A great start to my day. I hope everyone has a great day!

11. Norcalnewb

Fan picture, Clint! I hope your day with your mom is going well.

12. Norcalnewb

Beautiful razor, Brian!

13. Norcalnewb

It is a pretty razor. I am sure the off handed focus will pay dividends shortly.

14. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Beautiful razor and scales! Also a really cool brush. It's a shame you had to stink them them up with Tabac!
    :shocked003: :scared003:
    On a more serious note, feel free to describe to the uninitiated (i.e. me) what you mean by this mysterious flair technique you speak of. One of my two more serious straight razor faux pas came as the result of the blade digging into the runway upon landing. If there is a magical shave technique that avoids this, inquiring minds (i.e. me) want to know.

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great photo Jim. The Old Type looks fantastic.

Thank you Jim. Mom and I have had a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. PickledNorthern

Thanks for the kind words. I try to use Tabac in all of my brushes every once in a while, to keep them musty smelling, if nothing else. I figure old fur hanging on a wall should smell like old fur hanging on a wall.

No technique involved in the smooth landing, other than not being a dumbass and basically "bonking" the blade into yourself with the proper amount of force and steep angle necessary to split your face like the skin of a grape. It just takes muscle memory, and I have very little with my right hand.

17. PickledNorthern

Thank you, but I was mostly joking at the "oddness" of the dog razor, pathology knife elements. I think they look like the straight razor equivalent of those switchblade combs you used to win at carnivals. You know, like back in the day when a goony teenager could own something like that without being expelled from high school, blackballed from college acceptance, and then executed.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Hang in there Paul. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very cool brush Jared. However, the razor stole the show in this photo. Just stunning.

20. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

My favorite fair prizes were the switchblade comb and the stretched out coke bottles with food coloring in them. If you were really skilled at tossing rings, pitching pennies, or throwing basketballs in crooked undersized hoops you could "win" one for about $47. Good times.