OCtober 2015 - Discuss OC Safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I guess I will start this thing off. I have only four Open Comb razors, and I will be putting them to work this month.
    I have:
    1. Gillette Old Type old_type07.jpg
    2. Gillette NEW SC new_replate2s.jpg
    3. Gillette NEW English LC lcnew_ballends.jpg
    4. Merkur 15c DSCF7273.jpg
    Since this is my birth month, I will be using my birth year razors for one of the two passes. Here is tomorrow's shave.

[​IMG]
    Thursday's Planned
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
    Jayaruh #18 Silver Tip
    Micromatic Bullet-tip (2)* 1947 Birth Year Razor
    Treet Super Single Edge
    Gillette NEW SC/Personna Blue
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon WH
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I'll be using these three for this month's focus, starting with the Bostonian (not sure it's one but that's what Im calling it). I haven't decided how much time I will spend with each yet as have never used any of these razors before and can only hope I'll like them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  3. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Thanks for taking the reins , Jim.
    I love the idea of using an OC for your first pass and birth year razor for your 2nd pass. I am considering in following your lead with that too.

4. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Nice collection there, Roger. I like them all. I still need one of those "Bostonians." It is a NEW Improved. I would like to have one of those Senators, too.

clint64 and Rufus T. like this.
  5. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I won't be here long. Only useing one open comb razor this month and only for a few days. Open comb Schick type B. Unless you could no guard razors as "open" then I'll be back with a straight at the end of the month.

6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Well done Jim and Don!!! @Dzia Dzia

Thank you for taking initiative to set this up! I am a regular participant in the 30-Day thread. That thread has many users doing many different routines. Some group together and do a themed focus. Last month many did a SE focus, some didn't.

At the same time @GDCarrington did a separate September thread just for SEs. Many participated in both threads, as I did. I will do the same this month thanks to you.

As far as I'm concerned, there can't be too many threads to help grow the interest in traditional shaving!

Cheers!
    RT

Ps -thanks for sacrificing your birthday month of shaves to do this Jim!

7. Dzia Dzia

I have two razors I will be using for OCtober... New OSC and MMOC. As @Jayaruh October is my birth month and a few days I'll be deviating and using my birth razor my Aristocrat for "going to church" shaves and my birthday.

Tomorrow's OCtober 1st shave...

Gillette New OSC.
    Homade PSO
    C.O. Bigelow Green
    EJ Best Badger
    New OSC w/PolSilver (1)
    Alum bloc, witch hazel,
    Proraso ASB
    Florida Water

Great shaves to all participants.

Edit: used a Vostok blade... Forgot I used my last PolSilver in my Aristocrat.
    AS you get older 2 this begin to leave you.. Your memory and.,....., and....... And.....

I forgot what the other one is.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  8. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Which gives a more agressive shave short or long comb? Any feelings on parker, mule or what some of you have posted as wolf? Ive never heard of that last one but it looks sweet?....my dad has an open comb old Gillette that was his dads ill use this month but i need to get my own ha

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

10/01/2015
    Razor – Wolfman OC with Triad Helix SS
    Blade – Feather (1)
    Brush – Olivewood with TGN Finest Fan
    Lather – Strop Shoppe Baker Street
    Post - Witch Hazel & Fine Platinum

[​IMG]

10. Dzia Dzia

Man you have some nice tools. Always with great photos too. Kudos to your selections.

Rufus T., Bama Samurai, wmbjr and 2 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. :happy088:

12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I think the long comb is slightly more aggressive in the Gillette New razors, but both are pretty mild. I prefer to think of them as more efficient.

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

image.jpeg

OCtober 1 SOTD:

Homemade PS Oil
    Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Palmolive Classic SC
    Gillette New LC
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman VI Bay Rum

14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    The Old Type is the most aggressive of my collection. It was made for the three hole blades that were thicker than modern blades. I think that makes a difference. I would say that my short comb is a bit more aggressive than the long comb. They are both excellent razors. The Merkur is very mild. It is a function of its geometry. It just has little blade exposure. A great looking razor though.

Last year, I had the opportunity to try a Cadet TP-30. Now, that was aggressive. It is made by Parker I believe. It is a beautiful razor with a long handle and plenty of heft.
    [​IMG]

15. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Thursday's
    [​IMG]

Dove Men Face Wash
    C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream
    Jayaruh #18 Silver Tip
    Micromatic Bullet-tip* 1947 Birth Era Razor
    GEM Stainless
    Gillette NEW SC/Personna Blue
    CWR, Asma Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon WH
    Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

I am using two razors this month: a birth year razor and an open comb razor for OCtober.

The C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream face-lathered well with my Jayaruh #18 Silver Tip brush. First pass with my Micromatic Bullet-tip razor and a GEM Stainless Single Edge blade followed by second pass with the Gillette SC NEW gave me a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, alum block, and a final cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayers Lemon WH and then Pinaud Lilac Vegetal as an after shave. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

I am using two razors this month: a birth year razor and an open comb razor for OCtober.

16. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

wow, it seems I've got a thing for open comb razors. I've got a bunch of them. so for this month, I'll run through the lineup. I'm thinking two days each, and I'll give each one a new blade. it'll be interesting to see how my technique has influenced my opinion of some of these oldies I've collected along the way. see one you like, let's discuss it.(it may end up in your collection).
    today I started it all off with a Gillette old open comb. it has a ball end handle. someone has bent all four corner teeth. idky, if you've seen this before, please chime in.
    it didn't affect the shave. my imagination runs wild given thIisones age and condition.
    20151001_080823.jpg

17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Those corner teeth are the first to go if the razor is ever dropped. Like you said, it doesn't seem to affect the shave.

18. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

October OC: Used my 1907 Single Ring this morning. After a month of SE razors I had forgotten how close a DE can get. With the TSD signature scent soap I had a wonderful, smooth BBS. IMO the thinner top on the early Old Types like this razor make for a milder shave than the heavier top of later Old Types. This was as smooth and comfortable as it gets. Has anyone else found this to be true? Or am I just imagining things?

[​IMG]

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Beautiful single ring...

20. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Woof, woof went the Wolfman! Looking good. :happy088: