OCtober 2015 - Discuss OC Safety razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Billy, I'm feeling bad for your LC experience. I've had good shaves before, so I'm keeping mine (for now).

2. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Billy can send his to Don and Herm can send me his as soon as he gets another razor to fill the slot (and we all know he will get another one eventually). :rofl: Just kidding! Herm I hope you have better luck with the razor next time you use it. Maybe the blade will make the difference. If not, the shot is definitely worth trying. Heck it is worth trying no matter what! :eatdrink047:

clint64, Herm2502, Dzia Dzia and 2 others like this.
  3. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

October 29, 2015
    SOTD - World Series - Travel Day

Morning shave
    Hot Shower
    Soap: Barrister & Mann Diamond Shave Soap
    Brush: Omega Pro 48 Boar
    Razor: Gillette Goodwill
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    TSD Witch Hazel
    Aftershave: Old Spice 1967

10-29-15.JPG

I used GSBs during my two-month training regimen and appreciated their smooth, comfortable dependability. Same result today. If I ever do an extended period of shaving with this razor, GSB would be the top blade candidate.

World Series Travel Day
    Today “travel day” means a day off for the players with a relatively quick jet flight of about three and a half hours - KC to NYC. But it wasn’t always that way.

As with the history of transportation, baseball leagues owes its growth to the growth of the rail system from the late-1870s until the mid-1950s. Roads and bus travel didn’t come until the 1930s/40s for short trips. Regular air travel in the mid-1950s led to cross-country expansion in baseball.

For over 75 years, baseball teams did their traveling by train.

Players like Harry “The Hat” Walker, Phil Rizzuto and Eddie Matthews described the rails as the very best way to travel because of the camaraderie it helped build among teammates. They would hold “bull sessions” to talk baseball, learn what made each other tick and be better for it on the field. Coaches kept tabs on their players and sportswriters were able to cover teams more extensively as they traveled long distances with them on the same passenger cars.

The boom in baseball leagues owes itself to regular train travel. During that time, game times would be set to correspond to train schedules. A trip from St. Louis to New York would take over 24 hours. So World Series teams at opposite geographical locations may have 2 days of true travel time, while an intercity “subway” Series would just be played one day after another until finished.

d99de6f388857f1959c5e889e106ac58.jpg images-1.jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg

Play Ball!
    RT

4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Guys!!! I was just trying to make a funny. There's only a couple more razors that I would like to, acquire. So Billy, thanks for the offer. Maybe you have a brother in law you're not fond of. Herm, maybe a different blade?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  5. Dzia Dzia

You gotta love "The Duke." To bad he wasn't a Met.

Jim99, clint64 and Rufus T. like this.
  6. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Enjoy the wedding Don!
    and thanks to you and @Jayaruh for facilitating this thread!
    Cheers!
    RT

clint64, Dzia Dzia and wmbjr like this.
  7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Well unfortunately he was on that Brooklyn Dodger team that was hijacked to the West Coast. New York fans were robbed of watching him for the remaining years of his career.

Though in their second year of existence (1963) the Mets did something they tried frequently, especially in their early years - they brought back players from the old NY Giants and Brooklyn Dodger teams. The Duke came back for what was the second to last year of his career. They did the same thing with Willie Mays in the twilight of his career as well.

8. Dzia Dzia

Thanks Vince. The daughter of my favorite cousin is getting married on the beach. I see my favorite cousin a couple times a year. 220 miles. Here sister is going to be there and I haven't seen her in 48 years. I had just graduated from high school and my folks bused my sister and me from Detroit to Huntsville, Alabama. It was memorable. Tears may flow.

You're quite the baseball aficionado. Wish it were you doing color instead of Tim McCarver. People would learn more.

9. Herm2502

Of course. I laughed, didn't you hear me? Gonna try an Astra next shave.

clint64, Rufus T. and Dzia Dzia like this.
  10. Herm2502

Oh, yes. I already have a razor that could go on the shelf, but...it can't go in the LC slot because the dates would be out of order. My OCD would be out of control. An Astra blade is in the offing next. We'll see.

clint64, Rufus T. and Dzia Dzia like this.
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, OCtober 29, 2015

iKon Short Comb with Triad Ti Helix Hex
    Feather #1
    El Druida Black with Red Barberia
    Vermont Goats Milk Soap Spearmint Bergamot SS
    Alum, Witch Hazel +++Menthol, Cucumber Melon Whipped Shea Butter
    Chilled Proraso Aftershave Lotion
    Brooks Brothers 1818

IMG_2868-1.jpg

12. Dzia Dzia

Is that Open Comb Disorganization or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? :angry032: :happy102: or both?:happy097:

13. Herm2502

ROFLMAO. I think both! You obviously can't put a 59 Fatty between a New SC and a New Standard. It just CAN'T be done.

clint64, Rufus T., wmbjr and 2 others like this.
  14. Dzia Dzia

No wonder you enjoy shaving. You have some pretty impressive hardware and software. Ikon, nice shaver, beautiful handle. Gotta love the el Druida brush. Goat milk soap. Brooks Brothers 1818. All excellent stuff, Mark.

clint64, Rufus T., Boojum1 and 2 others like this.
  15. Dzia Dzia

ROFLMAO???

clint64, Rufus T. and Billyfergie like this.
  16. Herm2502

Think about it. Rolling On Floor Laughing My....

Get it? Can't finish it due to TSD language standards.

Jim99, clint64, Rufus T. and 3 others like this.
  17. Dzia Dzia

Thanks TSD is my first rodeo.
    BTW a fatty is one of the razor I've yet to acquire. To expensive online. I'll keep checking in the wild. Same for a Sheraton. I may pick up a Merkur Progress soon though.

18. Herm2502

See the slot on the top shelf? That's where the LC goes. Top shelf is OC's and Techs. Bottom is mostly TTO's and SE's and my Stahly. Can't put something from one shelf on the other. It might upset the balance of the universe.[​IMG]

19. Herm2502

I'm cleaning up the Fatty. May send it to Razor Emporium if I can't get it adjusting properly. Just found a rhodium 37 Sheraton. And, I agree, a Progress would be good!

clint64, Dzia Dzia and wmbjr like this.
  20. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

You just need more shelves! :happy102:

Dzia Dzia, Billyfergie and Herm2502 like this.