OCtober 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2016.

?

It's OCtober. Any plans for Halloween?

1. Going to sit home and hand out candy to the kiddies.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Going to lock the door, turn off the lights and ignore the kiddies.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Building a haunted house for the kiddies, but just fun, not terribly scary.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Building a haunted house for the kiddies designed to scar their psyches for life.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Building a haunted house for the Cartel members - complete with vodka.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Attending a party on our own.....who cares about the kiddies and Cartel?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. It's Oreo month you idiot! Why haven't you mentioned cookies?

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Mmmmmmmm.........Oreos.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Oct. 24
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Omega 10098 Boar
    Ceramic Suribachi Bowl
    Blade - Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Razor - 1937 Gillette Sheraton
    Aftershave - Lucky Tiger with a added splash of Pinaud Lime Sec

I'm pleased to report an uneventful shave this morning. I must admit that the Sheraton is a world class shaver, but I have a cache of neglected razors that are begging to be used. On it's second day of use, the Silver Blue blade mowed down a load of foam and whiskers & the Sheraton never clogged and rinsed easily. I rode the cap for a DFS two pass shave and the citrus finish was nice and refreshing.

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, RyX and 7 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Yes, you need a light weight hammer and a solid piece of metal for an anvil. Be careful not to over tighten it. Glen recommended tapping repeatedly, rather than banging away. Put your finger on the anvil and hit it. The amount of force that doesn't hurt is the amount to peen with. Tap a few times on each side, test the tightness. Repeat as needed.

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Almost sounds like a "Hold my beer" moment!

4. Salty Belle

Salty Belle Well-Known Member

What a "purdy" pic!

5. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

My best badger from Stirling is very nice too, but larger. Doesn't want to sit in my razor/brush holder. It is very nice though and holds more lather than one could ever possibly use in one shave. Easy to maintain and no funky animal smell. Stirling makes very nice brushes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Let's see. Characterizing the Platinum Plus. It is sharp. How sharp? Between Voskhod and Feather. In other words, high end and enough that it turns rough and dangerous in an aggressive setting.....like a Feather. But.....it stays smooth in the mid range. It's smooth until you get too much gap/exposure. At that point it turns a bit rough. I think the slight nick I captured was a result of it being just a bit sharper than the Personna.

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

OCtober Focus Abandoned

Vintage Williams Stick & Omega Pro98
    Gillette FatBoy on 9 / Voskhod blade
    Alum and Pinaud Special Reserve AS

SOTD 10242016.gif
    One of our TSD members, Paul @Paul Turner confessed he has been using canned lather. I think he tried modern Williams Mug soap. I treated him to a sample of my Vintage stick to hit the USPSystem today. If he hasn't procured one yet, brush shopping will ensure shortly. Enable much?
    Goaded on by folks who have embraced Aggressive Razors I'm abandoning my OC Focus and training up by maximizing my FatBoy. Riding the cap cures many newbie razor burn issues. It sure helped me. So much that with a vintage lather, three + passes, and a great Russian blade my alum was cool and the shave a DF one. Double splash of Indiana Jones cologne and I'm out the door!

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I'm going to reply to myself with some added data. When I went to shower this morning (late mornings on my day off) I noticed some trouble spots on my neck from last night's shave. I didn't notice any blood last night at all, but there are some areas of red where I was apparently right on the edge of bleeding. I didn't give it my best effort on the final pass since I knew I was going to be BBS, so it can't be pressure or technique. The blade is just that harsh on the 9 on the Slim. That would indicate a very sharp blade, which can be a good thing, but it needs to be kept in a bit less aggressive environment. At least for me.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. ;)

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Shenanigans Alert!!!

End is Near.jpg

11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Okay, that makes sense as some of my best shaves with the Platinum Plus were in a Tech. It also lends credence to a suspicion of mine that as my shaves have improved, I'm now trending (or needing to trend) toward more milder razors. Too much exfoliation, maybe? :)

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I almost expected to see "I dare you" at the end of his post.

13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

There could be something to the idea that as technique improves the need for "extra help" from aggressive razors declines. You know how to use the razor to get the best result with the blade so the result is much more a function of how you use the tool instead of how the tool itself works. Hmmm. Sounds a bit like Technique Trumps Tools!

14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it's also bordering on a tolerance/safety issue. I definitely think my technique has improved to where I can get a very nice shave from a much milder razor. OTOH, you, yourself, have demonstrated TTT by shaving with devices that no sane person would consider and done so successfully. Me, I'm at the point where a Slim set at '6' is almost too much razor and, the last time I used one, actually ran down to 4 instead of 5.

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Are you calling me crazy?!

bbt not crazy.jpg

16. countryheathen

countryheathen Well-Known Member

No one called you crazy. Just not sane.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

17. Heisenberg 93

Heisenberg 93 Member

shave m90.jpg

Mongoose B3/Feather Super Pro (1)
    Shave Revolution 24mm Synthetic
    MWF
    Thayers
    The Veg

Nice relaxing shave before my doctor appointment this morning. Have to go in for a stress test next week as my doctor says I'm on the verge of hypertension and flirting with a heart attack. What a lovely way to start the day.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ah, well in that case.......

19. Norcalnewb

IMG_4308.JPG

October 24 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen
    EJ Chatsworth Barley
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Kramperts Finest Frostbite AS

Another successful shave with the EJ and Gillette Platinum Plus blade combination. The Stirling Glacial Wintergreen was fantastic as was the Kramperts Finest Frostbite. A good start to my week. I hope everyone has a great day!

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 7 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

I just ordered some Kai Titan Mild blades for my CJB. Looking forward to giving the Pain Stick a try again after seeing some of the posts by @Marverel and others here lately.

Of course, it looks like they are on the slow boat from Japan. Between these and the Russian variety pack of DE blades, I have something on slow boats in each ocean.