OCtober 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2016.

?

It's OCtober. Any plans for Halloween?

1. Going to sit home and hand out candy to the kiddies.

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Going to lock the door, turn off the lights and ignore the kiddies.

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Building a haunted house for the kiddies, but just fun, not terribly scary.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Building a haunted house for the kiddies designed to scar their psyches for life.

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Building a haunted house for the Cartel members - complete with vodka.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Attending a party on our own.....who cares about the kiddies and Cartel?

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. It's Oreo month you idiot! Why haven't you mentioned cookies?

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Mmmmmmmm.........Oreos.

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Looks like a Durham Duplex. As I recall, you used the shavette version a couple of times during MayHEM.

Do you need a run to Home Depot for more flooring blades or do you still have some of the Pathology ones? :)

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

October 31, 2016
    Wolfman WR-01 Ti OC with Hempel Ti
    Personna 74 (2)
    Elite Razor “Tres Amigos” Beehive with Envy White
    MdC Fougere
    Witch Hazel
    Fine Lavender Aftershave
    Whipped Shea Butter

[​IMG]

Ended OCtober with another great shave. Everything just worked well together. Finished with a splash of Fine Lavender and I think I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Cold Water.jpg
    SOTD October 31, 2016

Blade
    : Chinese Schick
    Razor: Schick L1 injector
    Brush: @Jayaruh #60 synthetic
    Lather: Stirling Barbershop
    Post: Witch hazel splash, Stirling Barbershop aftershave, Nivea sensitive balm
    WTG, touch-up

Final October shave with Stirling Barbershop. It's been a good month of nice shaves. The Schick L1 performed well all month as did the Stirling products. I'm pleased with the shaves I had and thankful that TSD voted on a quality product for me to spend so much time with!

First use of the JR #60 brush this morning. Loved it! Love the craftmanship as well as the performance. Soft synthetic knot that lathered up really well.

Happy Halloween and hope you have a great day!

SOTD 10-31-16.JPG

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

My recap and observations from Open Comb October. During the month, I used 4 open comb DE razors. Each of the 4 delivered excellent shave when I did my part. In particular the Timeless OC with 0.95 blade gap and the Wolfman with the increased blade gap, deliver shaves comparable to shaves I get with SE razors. I prefer OC razors to the solid bar DE razors because I find them more efficient. I enjoyed following the posts and shenanigans through the month.

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Halloween
    Monday, OCtober 31, 2016

Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic
    Mystic Water Barbershop
    Wolfman WR1-OC with Darwin Deluxe Titanium
    Personna 74 #25
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool

[​IMG]

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

October 31, 2016- Early start to November

Razor: G3 Aristocrat Adjustable (4)
    Blade: GSB (1)
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Soap: VdH Luxury

I considered the idea of revisiting my OC focus on this last day of the month, but decided to just go ahead and start November's instead.

OCtober began with the combo of a Thick-Cap OT and the Astra SP blade for some very nice shaves. When a GSB didn't seem as friendly to the OT, I switched over to the New LC-based Goodwill 160. This started a series of DFS+ shaves which were usually marred by one or more weepers and at lest one out-and-out nick. Unfortunately, this streak continued even after changing to the German Wilkinson Sword blade. (Cartel members will no doubt tell me that that was my problem, using German steel instead of Russian.) Last week, I decided to put and end to the streak and switched over to an NDC Milord and the Astra SP for a series of pleasant, effortless shaves.

To be fair, I'm sure the issues I had with the Goodwill were largely with my technique. In the past, I did not have this kind of issue with it and, if anything, the OT was more likely to be the one to draw blood. I have been making changes to my technique, though, and I suspect I need to dial them in a bit more before the next time I pick up the Goodwill.

Anyway, that brings us to today. Based on the success I had with the Milord. I've decided that my November focus will be "No Expectations". I plan to get back to a couple of favorite razors and blades and just let things happen without spending a lot of energy worrying about technique or results.

As for today's shave... The Adjustable was set at '4' which is actually one number lower than I have been using. The blade is a standby and one of my favorites. As for the shave- close, smooth, and no irritation or blood. All together, pretty much what I asked for.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

You, sir, are correct! It is the Durham Duplex, safety razor version. I still have some of the pathology ones so I'm good to go.

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My last OCtober shave was a disappointment. I spent a lot of time honing this razor on Saturday and did not do a good job. I actually had to finish this shave with a Wade and Butcher I honed the same day. Night and day difference. Back to the hones with this one.
    SOTD
    Route 66 Rum Runner Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Soviet "Dawn" Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    Ogallala Bay Rum
    Have a great week![​IMG]

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good looking lather Brian.

10. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Oct. 29
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Omega 10098 Boar
    Ceramic Suribachi Bowl
    Blade - Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Razor - 1937 Gillette Sheraton
    Aftershave - Ginger's Garden Swede splash on and Tabac Cologne

Saturday night shave. Thought I'd treat my wife to my Suede / Tabac combo. She said I smelled like her great grandfather and it made a scratchy feeling in the back of her throat. I guess there may be a PIF in my future. Great shave though.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you. After this morning's frustrating shave I needed a positive comment.

12. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

Oct. 31
    Soap - Proraso Green Tub
    Brush - Omega 10098 Boar
    Ceramic Suribachi Bowl
    Blade - Blade - Gillette Silver Blue - Russia
    Razor - 1937 Gillette Sheraton
    Aftershave - Aqua Velva Ice Blue

All treats & no tricks for the last shave of this 30 day focus. My takeaway: Gillette Silver Blue blades are top notch, but for no more than 4 uses. My Gillette Sheraton is a keeper for my full time rotation and tubs of Prorasso last for about 90 days of shaving. Now I'm going to spend some quality time with my more modern Rockwell 6s. Thanks to everyone who puts together and participates in these monthly focus threads. They do make us better shavers.

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy088::happy088:

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

OCtober Final Focus

Cremo Cooling & Omega #20248
    Fatip/Muhle Hybrid/ Israeli blade
    Alum, Osage Rub, Florida Water

SOTD 10312016.gif
    Menthol Monday using Cremo Cooling! Splash of cool water to begin. Cremo will lather in a bowl, you just have to believe. Three passes, and extra clean up only netted one nick. No blood, but I knew it was there. Rinse, Alum, Osage Rub, Florida Water, ahh. A Nice Shave!
    Slipping the Fatip OC base between the Muhle r89 cap & handle gives an acceptable middle ground. The Muhle is quite mild. Fatip known for aggression. I'm considering this as my No-Variation razor for next month.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4336.JPG

October 31 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Glacial Wintergreen SS
    Gem Junior
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill AS

I missed SE razors a bit, so I went back to the Gem Junior. It was a great shave, very close to BBS. The Stirling Glacial Wintergreen was so cold, my eyes were watering. Just a great way to get me moving on my first day back to work after my little unplanned 3 week vacation.

I started this month with the goal of evaluating my razors as I try to thin the heard a bit, which was a continuation from last month (and will carry into next month). I did manage to make my mind up on two straights, which are now gone and one DE, sadly the Aristocrat. I had this razor and a Diplomat, and they were just so similar. Since I am really trying to thin things out, I had to let one go. Since the Diplomat was just a bit more difficult to get, I kept it. Probably the biggest thing I learned is that I need to be careful acquiring too much stuff. It can be hard to choose what to keep and what to let go later. The other lesson I learned is that not all stomach cramps go away by themselves.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You and me both. :) Good write up and photograph.

17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

So you're using a variably built razor (sounds so much more delightful than "frankenrazor) for a No-variation month. Well played, sir, well played.

18. Norcalnewb

Thank you! :happy088:

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Mongoose B2 w/Custom Made Handle (England)
    Blade: Feather Pro (1)
    Brush: Elite Razor "Tres Amigos" Desert Ironwood Beehive w/Envy White
    Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
    Aftershave: Folsom Shambala
    Although the handle looks like it may be slippery, I found just the opposite. The Mongoose shaved very close and comfortable, with the only draw back being a build up of lather in the baseplate slots. The posts that secure the blade are short, however, it was not difficult to load and secure the blade.
    Happy Halloween!!!
    31 10 16.jpg

20. Norcalnewb

Nice picture, Doug!