Oct 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 30, 2017.

?

What is your plan for OCtober?

1. Shave with one or more really cool DE OC razors.

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  2. Shave with one or more really cool SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Shave with one or more DE and SE OC razors.

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Durham Duplex counts, right?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. All straight, all the time.

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. To find the freaking cookies I keep hearing so much about.

14 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. I'm just waiting until Halloween. I need candy!

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

well, ain't that a fine kettle of fish! (I mean, cookies, LOL) "Fish" was the saying as I always knew it to be.

2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Edwin Jagger Chatsworth
    Sputnik
    30DC Brush
    Wild West Shaving Co. "The Outlaw"
    English Leather

The Chatsworth is shaping up to be my choice for No Variation November. I absolutely love this razor in every regard.

Wild West Shaving Co. is a new company that has been getting some buzz. I decided to try it out and chose "The Outlaw". Scent notes are listed as leather, gun powder and burnt honey. I like this soap quite a bit. It's a bit on the soft side, lathers easily and performs well. The scent strength is quite on the strong side, which is a positive for me as I like it a lot. My wife does not, but was much more accepting after I finished off with English Leather. The only negative about this soap is the packaging. It comes in a 2 oz snuff tin, which makes it difficult to load the brush. They recommend scooping and smearing it into a bowl to lather. I am a face latherer, so this doesn't help me much. I don't mind the smaller portion as it comes with a smaller price tag and super cheap shipping. But the dimension of the tin has deterred me from further exploring the line of products. I hear he is moving to waterproof labels, which is good. If he offers the product in a larger tin I will be looking at getting more, as I really do enjoy the soap. He's pretty quick on communication so I am hoping it will happen.[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

When it comes to cookies, my mom always told me “never trust a man with an odd terrible avatar”!

4. SharptoothC

That soap is one of my favorite scents. Great stuff.

5. SharptoothC

Good luck! As a band dad, I appreciate all that you do. You have a tremendous impact on a large number of kids.

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great filter effect. The Chatsworth is a fine looking razor.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

:happy088:

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Is your razor the Chatsworth Barley? I have one, but for some reason, I don't use it too much. It is a nice looking razor, but it is in the back of the drawer and doesn't come out. I'll have to break it out in November.

9. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday October 21 - high noon shave down

Delta Echo Gillette SuperAdjustable on 4 / Topaz Platinum (2)
    Semogue Owners Club cherrywood boar brush
    My Red Green Duct Tape Special frankensoap
    Alum and Clubman VIBR

Well I managed not to mess up the lather from the frankensoap with the SOC today. I am calling that a win. I think both these items have made the cut for No Variation November -- the SOC because I need to do a lot more work with it to learn how to use it consistently and/or to finish breaking it in, and the frankensoap because (a) it's good, and (b) I have about a pound of it to use up.

I only had time for a very quick one-pass shave today, but the SuperAdjustable still got me into DFS territory. The alum was silent and the VIBR only gave a mild warming burn.

Tomorrow I will move on to my Delta Echo refurbished Fatboy for a couple days, then finish the month with the Slim. I will then pick one for No Variation November but it will be a tough choice. I may end up settling for a "Minor Variation" November and use each one for a ten-day stretch...

10. SharptoothC

Mine is not the Barley. Mine is the imitation ivory.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I make a mean cookie

12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette 1930's OC Ball End
    Blade: Personna Tungsten 74 (12)
    Brush: Elite Razor Gold Laced Black Onyx w/Tuxedo
    Soap: B&M Latha Oceana
    A/S: Myrsol Aqua Balsamic

An excellent week of shaving with these products. Either I got a BBS or very near BBS every day.

21 10 17.jpg

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Another great picture Amigo. The brush looks gorgeous.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Clint. I am very happy with this brush and knot. :happy088:

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wade has a Black Onyx handle from Elite with a Envy White knot that he enjoys a lot. Elite makes some nice handles.

16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree Clint. An Envy White knot would be amazing in the Black Onyx handle. Wade has good taste. :happy088:

17. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

OCtober 21st
    Gillette NEW LC w Polsilver (1)
    Prohibition Style SS
    30DC LE
    Thayers
    Pinaud Clubman
    image.jpg
    Shaved this evening, which is out of the norm for me. My wife is playing with the local Symphony of the Kootenays tonight, and the kids and I are going to watch/support her. Loaded a Polsilver as I realize it had been a few months since I used one and used the Prohibition Style again after I messed up the lather with it yesterday.
    Odd shave tonight. I got the lather much more functional tonight thanks to the tuxedo and a longer load time. Really enjoyed the light citrus scent of the soap. Had 3 what I thought were routine passes and then started counting up the weepers- 1..2..3..4. Whaaaat? No idea how or why. Very out of the norm. Splashed on some Clubman and wow did it burn as well. Needed the styptic on 2 of them. I wonder if I rushed too much in order to be ready.
    Have a great night all!

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Everyone has one of those days. You nailed the photo though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thanks, Clint. I think I would have rather nailed the shave...

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very nice photo and setup.