Odd #47

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

This is a British #47 that I am guessing was made sometime in the 1930's, and I have been noticing some interesting differences from the later 1940's and 1950's British razors.

It is very similar in appearance to the US made Senator (on left).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Notice how much farther down the link arms for the silo doors go. The sides of the base plate (for lack of a better term) are completely exposed, but I have noticed this on later British models also. I used a Sheraton for comparison since it does not have end caps like the Senator.
    [​IMG]

Another difference I have seen with the 1930's Brits, is the brushed metal interiors, which really gives them a cool two-tone look.
    [​IMG]

But the strangest feature of this razor is how the TTO function operates. When turned to "fully open", the silo doors don't flip open, they merely raise up, and the rest is done manually. Closing, however, is fully mechanical. I thought that I had a defective razor, so I shot an email to Achim (Mr Razor), and he says his works the same way, so I'm going with the assumption that this is just how they were made.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

that razor is so cool.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That there is quite some blade exposure! :eek:

:happy102

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Only for the manliest among us! ;)

5. Queen of Blades

Oh thank goodness..........I don't have to try it. :p

6. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You know, I could probably fit about 15-20 blades in there for the ultimate multi-blade shave!

7. Queen of Blades

Scary thought!

8. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

That's like...20 YEARS ahead of time! :happy102

9. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Shhhhhhhhhh.....don't tell Gillette! :rolleyes:

10. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they have it patented allready :happy097

11. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Just to throw a spanner into the works.:D This 47 on the right does not have a barber pole effect on the tto knob.:confused:Looks like a standard Super Speed tto.

Attached Files:

12. riffin

riffin Active Member

Indigo -

I have one almost identical to yours (but not nearly as good shape). Differences being:

1) The patent number is on the smooth part of the handle just below the neck above the knurling.
    2) The diamond-arrow Gillette logo is on the smooth part of the handle above the TTO knob below the knurling.
    3) The silo doors open mechanically.
    4) The knurling pattern is a little different: Yours has groups of three parallel barber pole twists and then finer knurling at roughly 90 degrees in between. Mine has single twists separated by the finer cuts.

The link arms expose the sides of the base plaste as with yours and the angle of the bottom edge of the links are the same as yours. The difference is at the pivot point between the silo doors and the link arms. It has millimetre or "boot" on the inboard side. When it passes through the slot on the base plate, the boot hit the bottom side of the base and the doors flip open.

The UK patent number on mine 400621 on the handle and 430030 on the underside.

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

The one on the right looks like an Aristocrat Junior, or #48.

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Does it look like this? If so, it's a 1930's Aristocrat.

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think it is a 48, which I believe is the Australian Aristocrat Junior set. A NOS one just sold on the bay, I wanted it so bad, I really hoped it slid under the radar. :(

16. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I also think it's an Aristocrat Jr./#48, but it's on the left on my screen?

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Hmmm... Somethings obviously wrong with your computer.

Yeah, sorry, I didn't catch that.

Here is the NOS one that sold on the bay, unfortunately, not in my budget.

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Wow I was soundly outbid on that baby! I guess 25.55 pounds wasn't in the ballpark. :rolleyes:

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Oops! I wrote this early in the morning! :ashamed001

20. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yep! That it... only with less shine :rolleyes:

I haven't tried it yet...