Odd looking razor..what is it ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Minstrel, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Minstrel

Minstrel New Member

I picked this up at a flea market on Sunday . I have never seen one before . Any body know any thing about it? It has WIZARD and MADE IN THE USA on one side and on the other is PAT JAN 8 1924, and ERICSSON SCREW MACH. PRODUCTS CO. The blade, a regular DE , is a ECLIPSE made in Sheffield England by the James Neill Company. Excuse the poor pictures. Any information would greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. JimR

JimR Active Member

I'm just guessing, but I think it might be for barber's use...At that time, a lot of barbers would have been used to straights, so a T-Shaped DE might have had less appeal than a straight-line one. Kind of like this Feather item:
    [​IMG]
    But like I said, I'm just guessing...

A really cool item, though, just for the rarity factor!

3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Jim is pretty dead on. I've seen razors similar to this on E-bay. I think they're pretty neat. Wouldn't mind adding one to the collection one day.

4. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

How do they put like that together? :confused:

5. Minstrel

Minstrel New Member

Just like a regular three piece and the handle screws into the end . The two pieces are threaded on the end.

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ah, ok! :) I had to learn to put together my old Valet Strop razor from grandfather--it was confusing a little at the beginning. :ashamed001

7. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

It looks like a stropper to me.

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yep, wizard blade stropper.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Basically its a shavette than and can be used instead of the dovos and feathers if so desired.

Jim, is that for real? That picture hurts me on the inside.

10. JimR

JimR Active Member

Ohhhh, it's VERY Real. Notice the teak handle?
    We're talking CLASS in your multi-blade plastic head wire wrapped cartridge shave. :D

11. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

That's cool and all, until you wander into the bathroom with an early morning case of yuck-mouth and try to brush your teeth with it.

Jasman likes this.
  12. JayKay

That was it Jim. It looked so classy and nice that I couldn't believe its real. Looks like something you'd find in the Mad-Tv Magazine of wet shaving.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Dung on a teak handle is still dung you know :D

14. riffin

riffin Active Member

BWHAAaaa! Good thing I read that BEFORE I took a mouthful of coffee. I don't think my boss would have gotten me ANOTHER keyboard and/or monitor. :happy102

OP: Scotty and Dave are correct. It's a stropper for a DE blade. It would be hard to get the angle right for shaving. The blade is very exposed and the head it pretty slim. There isn't much to guide/judge the angle by. It could be done in theory. It would easier than using a naked DE blade, but not by much.

15. JayKay

Sounds bada**

16. Minstrel

Minstrel New Member

Stropper

Thanks guys . I was a little hesitant about shaving with it.

17. JayKay

I still say do it. And agree with my previous post. Totally bad a**.

18. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

OMG those razors are so incredibly lame!

Man, the thought of using it as a tooth brush is scary - rather intelligently, I used to keep my cartridge and disposable razors in the same holder as my dental items and often would go as far as to apply toothpaste to a razor before realizing it wasn't a toothbrush to which I'd just added paste.

I was heavy drinker then :rolleyes:

19. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

Must have been to be (still) that hammered in the morning. I mean I beat my liver into submission on occasion (regularly) but I can't say I've had mouth funk bad enough to need a razor. :happy102

20. Adeptus_Minor

Adeptus_Minor Active Member

Works wonders for getting that persistent morning-after-cigar taste off your tongue.
    Just go light on the salsa with your breakfast taco. :happy102