Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by crackstar, Jun 8, 2012.

1. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

shaving_soap__13285_zoom.jpg Here's a fantastic American-produced shaving soap which will be a delight for any bay rum lover. I'm a big fan of bay rum, and I LOVE this soap!

Ease of lathering: 10/10--Wow, an explosion of rich lather so fast!

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Perfect stability for multi-passes.

General skincare: 8/10--Quite protective and comfortable

Scent: 10/10--Brilliant - a spicy bay rum scent which I LOVE!

Price: N/A--I really don't know. It was a gift.

Would I buy again: 10/10--You bet!

This soap has such an "old-school" bay rum scent, which the old American barbershops were famous for many years ago. When I was lathering up with this stuff this morning, I thought of my Dad and my Grandpa. Both of them used bay rum stuff when I was a kid.

Tim Spencer and Paul Turner like this.
  2. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I love this soap and it's nice to see you got along with it well. I'd say it may be top 3 for me if not favorite. And the price is pretty good, less than 6 for a puck and about 6 even for a shave stick.

Yehuda D likes this.
  3. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

OBRCo probably has the most generous sample pack in the business. You get six 1-oz samples for $6.25, plus shipping. That's cheaper per ounce than buying a puck!

4. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

When I bought the soap sample pack they threw in a sample pack of aftershave free of charge. That was really good of them to do and because of it I'm actually planning on placing a decent order on payday. They also hand wrote a small thank you note on my order and a hand written thank you on a little card they threw in with the freebie aftershaves. My girlfriend and I were both very shocked when I opened the package and they were in there. It completely won me over.

5. The Madscraper

The Madscraper New Member

I have been thinking about trying a puck of this since I Love the scent od Bay Rum. My first soap was a puck of Col Conk's which wasn't bad but was not very strong. My next was from Ray's of Colorado which is wonderfully slick but does not smell much like Bay Rum.

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

I have Ogallala bay run shave stick; great stuff. Strong Bay Rum scent. Rich lather. I say give it a go.

7. brit

brit in a box

Both the soap and aftershave ordered and on the way.looking forward to trying it..

8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It's good stuff. I think you'll like it.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

The only part that appeals to me about Ogallalla B.R. is part of its history-that guys out West used it a lot(hence its name, for the town of Ogallala is in Nebraska). But too clovey!(To be fair, I haven't tried it).

Me-an Eastern man with a Western frame of mind!!

Yehuda D likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

Where in Colorado is Ray's?

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

12. Paul Turner

13. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

This is the soap in my Bay Rum Shave kit:
    [​IMG]

I made my own label because the original Ogallala label was a bit boring and I wanted my own theme for the set. I evaluated several different Bay Rum soaps and found Ogallala to be the best of all of them overall. Only one soap could best the scent (Dandy Shaving Company's Cold Spice Soap, which is a Bay Rum scent), but it's a menthol-laden soap and I like a warm shave, not a freezing cold face when shaving. So, the pick had to be Ogallala as the best overall. 2nd best scent, but perfect in all the other categories. And the scent is no slouch because it beat out many competitors with that scent.

Yehuda D and Paul Turner like this.
  14. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I really liked it when I tried it, but unfortunately, I'm allergic to it.

15. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

This! My face lit up like a firecracker from this soap. I don't remember which variety of thier Bay Rum soap it was, but I had a wicked reaction to it. And I rarely have reactions to Shave soaps.

16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Too bad about Ray's of Colorado. They were one of the first vendors I bought from when I got back into traditional wet shaving. Thier "Ray's Ole Spiced " was fantastic. I still have a puck of thier soap somewhere. I'll have to dig it out. In fact, I have a puck ready to use in my Harley Davidson mug. Oh Yeah Baby, I can hear you now!!!!

17. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD