Ogallala Bay Rum Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by voice940, Jan 5, 2012.

1. voice940

voice940 Member

I bought a sample pack from them, mostly because they are here in my home state of Nebraska. And now, I think I've been converted! I've never had a shave soap that had a lasting foam before - but this stuff delivers! And I've found that I really like about half of their scents, too! (ESP the bay rum and sandalwood, and the bay rum, limes and peppercorns).

swarden43, CyanideMetal and fishcrow like this.
  2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Thanks for sharing, I was thinking of getting a few pucks of the Ogalla soaps. Your comments move it to my definite wish list.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the oddball I was unimpressed with the stuff.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Meh. Not bad. I doubt I'll get more, though. Not as long as TSD is still around, anyway!

5. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I actually would rather use TSD soap myself...

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

It is better than Conk (and Conk aint bad), but not as good as TSD and Renaissance Man BR soaps in my view.

7. Latherman87

Latherman87 Well-Known Member

Never tried the soaps but that bay rum AS is some wicked stuff!! I think that stuff for me is what it feels like for a vampire to have holy water splashed on his face lol I love the smell but no matter if I have irritation or not...that stuff hurts lol

8. voice940

voice940 Member

Yeah, it's got a helluva kick to it. When it says "not for wimps" on the box, they really mean it! But as you said, it smells SOOOOOO good. The Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns is the first (and ONLY) Bay Rum that my wife likes, so I'm gonna keep using it... with a healthy dose of Nivea AS lotion to follow.

9. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I just got a sample pack from them about a week ago. I like all the scents save one, and that's just not as good as the others. I was a little worried about having a reaction to it because I had a very unpleasant experience with bay rum in the past, but this went off perfectly. I thought it lathered well and shaved terrific. They also sent me a hand written thank you note with my order and a sample of all their aftershaves. I was very pleased by their product and their willingness to try to please me as a customer. It's a bonus that they are a small business and in America. I will definitely be ordering at least one full size soap and an aftershave from them once I whittle down my den a little bit. Tomorrow I'm going to wear the $1 cologne and see how it goes. This stuff honestly put me in a good mood tonight, I hope it carries over into tomorrow.

DLP likes this.
  10. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I received an Ogalalla bay rum soap today, and it smells awesome. The scent of it reminds me a lot of Burt's Bees Bay rum cologne which I love.

11. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

:signs011: I was also looking for a replacement for the discontinued Burt's Bees Bay rum and Ogalla is the closest I've found. Very similar!

12. MHDena

MHDena New Member

I had an Ogalala Orange Spice Puck I kicked to the shower this week, it smells nice.

After using AOS, Cella, DR Harris, MdC and Tabac this past year that's all it does is smell nice

Someone else said "Life's to Short to Shave with Crappy Soap"

As always YMMV.

13. Conrad1959

Conrad1959 Well-Known Member

I've been pleased with the Ogalla products I have tried. I especially like the Bay Rum with Lime & Peppercorn and Bay Rum with Lemongrass soaps.

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Ogalalla used to be a favorite of mine but I've been out of it for quite a while. I'll have to reorder some again. Some of my current favorites are Calani, MW, Haslinger and of course D.R. Harris and TOBS.

15. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Their AS is towards the top of my list of favorite AS's. I love the scent and the feel.

I'm currently testing out their plain Bay Rum soap this week and after two uses, I love the scent and find the lather adequate, but I'm still playing around with water ratios and load times. I think I need more product and more water. I hope to reach a final verdict by the end of this week.

I do get a little tingle when using it. I'm not sure if I like that.

16. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

That's just the mystical powers of the (Nebraska?) island bay at work massaging your face and bringing you fruity drinks with little umbrellas in it.;)

17. 5Savages

5Savages Well-Known Member

Tonight's lather was MUCH better. More product, and more water, and I had plenty of good thick lather. BUT, I had used Mystic Water Bay Rum soap as a pre-shave lather, and that lather was better. More testing is required.