Oh, Henry!

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Feb 19, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy088:

2. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Marlin rifles are no longer made by Marlin. The company does not exist anymore. They were bought out and now Remington is in charge. The transition did not go well with the move in production and there are many "Marlin" rifles on the market that are having significant problems. I believe most of the production problems have now been corrected but there are still some not so good ones on the market. The old ones were great rifles.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yeah, Henry is in Bayone, shy of two hours up the road.
    Philly is right across the river - just looked and they have three gun shows scheduled for this year.

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Not sure what the local law says about buying rifles across state lines - you might want to check first. However - if nothing else go to the shows and at least then you can handle one and take a good look at it and verify the price.

swarden43 likes this.
  5. swarden43

They would have to ship it to an authorized dealer here in Jersey. There are a couple places that are close, fortunately.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Do you guys need a permit to purchase rifles like is required for handguns or do you just need the ID Card?

7. swarden43

My NJ firearms ID is enough for rifles, even required for air rifles. I'll need to apply for a handgun permit that is only good for 90 days, if I wanted a handgun, of course.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thought this would be a discussion about the classic candy bar. Leaving disappointed.

PLANofMAN, swarden43 and PanChango like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. I only live about 5 miles from NJ, but regarding firearms laws it is a world away. Having a driver's license and a clean record is enough in PA. My father told me of his difficulties in NY state before we moved here and he was a deputy sheriff at the time.

10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Here in Washington State - all you need is your drivers license for purchasing a rifle. Of course you still have to fill out the federal firearm purchase form and they run an instant background check through the state police. If you clear the check (it only takes a few minutes as its all on computers even at gun shows) you take the rifle with you. For a handgun - there is a waiting period for the background check. Unless you have your concealed carry permit which allows you to take procession of the handgun right then and there. To get the carry permit you have to go to the local sheriff and they finger print you and do a full FBI background check. Takes about 6 weeks (plus a fee of course) - then the permit is good for 5 years.

11. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Thats what I thought - that is the usual procedure. When I lived in Virginia and had my active FFL I did many of these transfers from Maryland and West Virginia. I would charge a small fee as the paperwork was a hassle and I had to keep the records forever.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

PA used to be that way, but dropped the waiting period for handguns with the instacheck. As long as you pass and pay for it, you are allowed to leave the building with it. Carry permit is roughly the same as well, but they also charge you for a couple passport photos as well. I am not sure how the laws have changed, but private parties were allowed to transfer long guns with just a bill of sale between individuals.

13. swarden43

Still have my heart set on a Henry. Just a beautiful weapon. Hard to find a bad review. Seems the biggest gripe is with the sights. Most common praise is for how smooth the action is. Lots o' good words for fit and finish.

AND it's made in the USA!

Col C likes this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Buy once, cry once. Get the one that you want and enjoy it.

If you buy something else as it is a good deal etc, it still won't be what you want and the thought will be stuck in the back of your head.

It is your rimfire plinker enjoy it your way.

You can always pick up another one if you decide you would like to add a semi as well.

swarden43 likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    .22 rimfire amunition is hard to find around here. Is it the same in your area?

16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

"Ca-sey was winnin'
    Hank Aaron was just beginnin'"

(from "Talkin Base-ball"....oh, sorry, your Henry wasn't Hank Aaron)

17. swarden43

I was talking to a buddy who shoots. He said it was difficult a while back, but has gotten easier.

18. swarden43

Along the lines of what I was thinking - get what I want, don't settle.

I'll be set on a semi if I can get the one my aunt gave me years ago. It's with my folks in Maine. My aunt left it to me while I was still in the Air Force. I just never bothered to check into the red tape to get it to Jersey. Now I'm determined to check into it.

My aunt used it for trick shooting demonstrations at the local fairs back in the day.

Carbide Mike and PanChango like this.
  19. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

The hoarding of .22 ammo has pretty much ceased. I was at a Cabela's a few weeks ago and they had several brands of .22 for $8.99 per 100 pack. You could buy as much as you want. They once did have restrictions on the amount you could buy but no more. I have two .22 rifles. One is an old Remington bolt action that belonged to my father - just keep it for sentimental reasons now. I also recently bought a Ruger 10-22. Have not fired it yet.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I concur ! They even make their own screws. ! :)