Ok I'm believer regarding the pre shave adding

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by blashe, Feb 23, 2016.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I'm new to all the wet shaving thing, I'm shaving less than 2 weeks and already have the Rockwell 2nd version, some scotch and stowe I fatty I got off ebay new for 15 bucks, the Russian adjustable that was last one in the ebay store and its on its way 23 bucks, and the NT Vigour black polished for 21 bucks and a free brush included also on the way, I did made sure to tell the seller to send me picture of the blade aligment cause I know the Fururs and the Vigours tend to suffer of bad blade aligment QC, Vigours more cause they don't check them proper.

I also got counter offer for a Gillette Tech with the normal handle with the rounded bubbly bottom handle, around $15 counter offer then add shipping it would turn around 22 bucks, the razor is NIB and all original packadging but since I want to collect razors and try bunch of them I like the regional ones custom made to collect like Razorock,Ikon,Blackbird,hone ets ets etc.

Anyways I read upon this threads regarding adding slickness before shaving and mainly I have been using the Rockwell and going trough all the heads, I believe after I started with the #3 plate I sort of started feeling a little bit of skin irritation even on the spots I haven't got cut. I know I'm new to DE shaving and I'm improving my technique, but the more I went up with the agressivness the more skin burn I felt.

So I decided today to try out whatever was said here in the forums, lucky me I had left over at home coconut oil,sweet almond oil,tee trea oil and oil of oregano. I made a mix with around 80% coconut oil , 20% sweet almond oil and then very little of the tea tree and oil of oregano because they are known to be strong.

Mixed it up in a small plastic container as tester, took shower, applied on my face before the shave, took the next plate which was #5 on the Rockwell, finished the shaving with 2 mini nicks that stopped bleeding right after I applied old spice, and seems they are just nicks going over some invinsible pimples aka the chicken skin ones lol.

After I was done the first thing I noticed no more dry feeling skin I get from the soap as I always do, nice soft smooth skin, feeling elastic and not dry, very nice feeling, but the most important thing for me is no skin burn trough out my face. I'm nicely surprised!

I will be def using this mix from now on, specially for the #6 plate on the Rockwell, but seems that #3 plate is the sweet spot for me because I'm still new to DE shaving and maybe I do have sensitive skin on some part of my face, but most likely still new to this and I tend to shave fast, I do all 3 different direction passes in 2 minutes, I need to slow down.... I don't cut mu self but I guess I tend to irritate the skin if I'm shaving with aggressive angle on the blade.

Any ways no matter what this little mix of oils I made I will continue to use it even if I get experienced with the shaving, because it leaves me with no dry feeling skin from the soap after done shaving. Soap is not bad either, im using the The Blades Grim Smolder, very pleasant soap to shave with.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and swarden43 like this.
  2. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

It will continue to get better as you gain more experience. Take your time and enjoy it.

blashe and Robyflexx like this.
  3. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

I have only been at it a couple of days and it is going pretty well, I have stuck with one razor for now and working on my grip and angle. Really sounds like you are on your way.