Ok what is it.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wchnu, Oct 31, 2010.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

2. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

It's a GEM

One of these, I think.

Attached Files:

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have several of those from the fuzzy picture it looks like the handle is not like that.. it may turn out to me a OCMM.. but the pic is so fuzzy.

4. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Fuzzy,

Definitely not a JunkoMatic from GEM. You certainly have enough of them that you know what they look like even with a blurred pix.

Could be a single ring Gillette or maybe even an early Superspeed. Pix is just too blurred to really decide.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's pretty common to see a DE razor in a Gem case being sold as a Gem. In one case, a seller noticed the Gillette name on the razor itself and described it as a "Gillette Gem".

What are sellers thinking putting up pictures as blurry as that? It can be hard to get a really clear picture, particularly if you only have a cell phone camera or if you haven't read your camera manual, but with enough tries, anyone should be able to do better than that. Yes, maybe he has something to hide, but you'd think he wouldn't want to make it look like he's got something to hide.:rolleyes:

6. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I say look at it this way - could it be worst than a Micromatic?
    *the above statement is based on personal opinion only and is not intend to offend Micromatic fans

7. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Nice disclaimer. :happy102

I'm thinking it looks like an old type. Definitely not a MM, but as others have said, that's a good thing.*

*you'll get no disclaimer from me.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It could be an early SS.

Yea it is a chance the case is even not good.. but I had to get it at that price and with a mystery razor.

HEY Hey HEY.... we will have none of THAT young man. CLICK!!!

CLICK!!!

sheesh talk about watering the corn flakes there. I can't help it if you people can't use good equipment. Maybe one day you can take the training wheels off and use a real razor...:D

9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :happy102

10. I'm pretty sure its a Micromatic. Compare this pic with the one that Gregindallas posted. The proportions between the different sections of the handle are the same and you can see the teeth of an open comb. I think its the angle that the head is being seen from that is throwing everyone off.

Of course, I have been wrong before. It was on a Thursday... :D

Attached Files:

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is possible... but I just don't see the right look to the turn knob and the collar under the head is different looking. But I will admit it is quite possible the fuzzyness of the picture.

12. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

The handle in the one Fuzzy bought is not the same as a Junkomatic. The JM has a tapered handle the one in Fuzzy's pix does not. My vote is still is that it is not a JM.

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    The handle looks to skinny for a Super Speed or most any DE razor I am familiar with.

But again, blurry picture. You suppose the seller was drunk when he took the pic, so it looked crisp and clear to him? :rolleyes:

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Amen.

Thank you.

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What happened to, "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way"? :p

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

:happy102

Joanna's got a good point about the thin-ness of the handle. It would be funny if it was a double ring without the base plate and handle piece.

EDIT: on second look, I think that's exactly what we're looking at- a double ring missing a piece.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Touche! :D

Glad someone's keepin' me honest!!

18. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Don't worry about offending me here - we're just having a little fun. We do need to make sure we keep it in check so we don't appear mean spirited to those who don't know us so well. Though nothing here seems out of line to me.

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If he was that drunk I can feel the hangover LOL..

I should post a disclaimer that Possum and I have this same argument over 3 different shaving sites. I love the MM he hates the thing.
    I actually loaned one to Noob if I remember correctly and he almost cussed at me for it :D

I hope this thing comes in quick.. As I said I bought it for the case. Maybe the razor is ok maybe not.. we'll see.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well now for the anticlimax... it was a open Comb Micro matic. Which is just fine with me. The case was in excellent shape with both of the blade holders intact. No chips at all. So I am very happy with it.

Fuzzy