Okay, guys tell me the basics.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joe Nobles, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Joe Nobles

Joe Nobles Well-Known Member

So on Saturday mornings I spend my time hanging out at a local and very informal flea market. Over the years many of the vendors have become friends. So last week I was showing off my collection of vintage DE razors and vintage DE blades in their wrappers, one of the guys (George) asks me if I was going to be around next week (meaning today) to which I said that I was planning to be. He said fine and that he had some items he wanted to give me. Looking to seeing George all week we caught up with each other today. To my surprise he gives me the two razors in the attached photos.
    15243520089301975766570.jpg
    1524352159429-889847401.jpg

1524352269052-1553773153.jpg 1524352342725-459588230.jpg 1524352566443-1084056666.jpg

So my question is what do any of you know about these and how do I use them compared to a DE?

Thanks

2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

1912 and Shovelhead.

Use these.

Ride the cap.

Excellent razors, enjoy!!!

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You may throw away all your other razors, yes, they are that good! :happy088:

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

In your last pic, the razor on the left is a Gem 1912 and right is an Ever Ready 1924 "Shovelhead."

Edit: Just noticed the 1912 is an Ever Ready, too. Same great razor.

Single edge razors are EXCELLENT shavers once you get the feel for them. The cap sits all but flush against your face durring the shave. @TobyC is correct when he says you'll abandon your DE razors.

Blades are available in bulk in the US thru Ted Pella. Part number 121-3.
    http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/blades.htm#stainless

Also, come talk with Fuzzy @wchnu:
    http://theoriginalsafety2.com/forum

RyX and TobyC like this.
  5. Joe Nobles

Great! Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying them. My local IGA sells Pace Super Stainless Steel shaving blades in a grey blade bank for $1.55 for 5.

1524355769174-940352467.jpg

1524355852089-1923833912.jpg

So tonight I'm going give these a go

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Two very good razors. Congratulations.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Those are great razors. Throw those blades away. Really. They are korean dorcos. They make great DE blades but junk SE blades. Not making it up. Specially starting they are trash. Send me an addy I will get you some good blades out. Also use the 1912 to learn is my advise. Hold it more or less flat against your face. It will be the easiest shave ever.

8. Joe Nobles

Please send me your e-mail for my address I would rather not post it. Just a hang up I have as with a little effort I'm easy enough to find.

Thanks

9. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Do you have a Walgreens near you?

[​IMG]

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just send me a PM here. @TobyC is almost right there. I like carbon steel blades. If you have a cvs or riteaid they usually carry some good ones. I will send you some carbon steel and stainless too. If you prefer to not PM here wchnu@yahoo.com is my email.

Ijustmissedthe50s, Screwtape and RyX like this.
  11. Joe Nobles

Check your email.

And it is definitely wabbit season!

RyX likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Duck season!!!!!

RyX likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

TobyC and Screwtape like this.
  14. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Your flea market friend did you a solid! As has been said, very little if anything to improve on. The offer from wchnu is also very generous. Great score, and enjoy those fine razors!

TobyC likes this.
  15. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Possible DANGER Will Robinson!
    These are great razors.. BUT... be sure that there are two retaining tabs on the leading edge of both razors. One pic (the left one) isn't clear and it looks like they might be missing. If even one is missing DO NOT USE the razor. The blade needs to slot under these tabs in order to use safely. Without even one tab, the blade will move too much and you risk serious injury.

Here are some additional tips:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/se-gem-shaving-tips-tricks.31529/

TobyC likes this.
  16. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I MUCH prefer DE razors (disclaimer - the only SE I have is a GEM Featherweight).

I don't really know why...

TobyC likes this.
  17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

It's because you need a better SE razor, you can't get a close shave from a Featherweight.

Get a 1912, or a Shovelhead, and use GEM stainless blades exclusively.

Dansco likes this.
  18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Later you can move up to a VC1 and a MMOC. :happy088:

Dansco likes this.
  19. Joe Nobles

@richgem both razors have their blade retaining tabs and hold blades solidly, but thanks for the heads up!

richgem and TobyC like this.
  20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I have GEM stainless blades for it. I was looking at 1912s on eBay recently but I've been into my straight razors recently and can't see that changingso I gave up.

TobyC likes this.