Okay...who actually uses an alum block post shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Rusty blade, Oct 22, 2016.

?

Do you use an alum block post shave?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2016.
  1. Yes

44.7%
  2. No

23.4%
  3. Sometimes

31.9%
  4. I'm not telling because its a secret

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I use it for small nicks and such. Otherwise I use witch hazel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty blade and Jayaruh like this.
  2. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I bought a block of alum when I was first learning to shave with a shavette. My intent was to use it to keep my hands from getting slippery while I'm working. It helps me when I'm stretching my skin as well as helping to improve my grip on the wet, soapy stainless steel.

I found that I ended up not really using it that much. When I have a really bad, harsh shave, then I do pull out the block and try to seal things up. Otherwise, a good PSO and aftershave leave me not really having a need for the alum.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Alum is the single best feedback tool for newbies, and also keeps skin tight, young-looking, and matte finished.

This is my experience also.

dbersh, champagneinhand, RyX and 4 others like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Never tried it. I probably never will. I use witch hazel after every shave.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I will use alum only of I think I've managed to irritate my skin. The alum tends to calm things down. But, the majority of my shaves are sans alum.

HERM

6. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I use my RazoRock Alum everyday, it seals up all my mistakes and gives me feedback on my shaves. Also, it's great for gaining traction when stretching my skin while shaving with a straight razor.

champagneinhand, RyX and Rusty blade like this.
  7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I'm a new convert to the alum block. I just got my first one last week, and I've used it four times now. I will NEVER be without one again! I love the way it tightens up the skin, and the tingle I get from it.

8. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

Good point. Would something like alum have a long term positive effect on wrinkles?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

champagneinhand and RyX like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I feel yes.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Anyone use both witch hazel & alum? This would be an interesting left/right side comparison test.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I use it after every shave. Alum block that is. Instant feedback on how my shave went. It also doesn't hurt to have that astringent to make me look purdy

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Tom, if it's improved looks you're after; toss the alum block in favor of a concrete block...just sayin:)

Bama Samurai and twhite like this.
  13. Crawldawg

Crawldawg Active Member

I started with the cheap block, it got quite rough, I went and got the crystal brand deodorant, and it works well and stays smooth. I try to use after every shave usually only begins to sting after the third shave of the week. I only shave on weekdays which let's my face heal on the weekend. Monday is my single edge OC Gem day and it is always sting free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and twhite like this.
  14. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

It works for me. I use it sometimes if I get any small weepers, but mainly it feels nice tightening the skin right after your shave. Also when I use my R41, the handle is a bit slippery. A touch of alum on the fingers improves the grip. You use so little, they do last forever. It's a cheap tool that everyone should have. Just throw one in the cart if you need to bump an order to free shipping!

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  15. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

I only used the Alum Block IF I nick myself during my shave, and it a great way to stop the bleeding if you weren't thinking or looking while you shave.

16. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

After every shave for astringent, antiseptic and technique review purposes. Besides I like the way it makes my mug feel.

17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

The alum block doesn't seem to help if I get a nick or cut, and sometimes it seems to cause irritation. Haven't used one in a while, so I may have to try it again. I usually use witch hazel or Lucky Tiger and a aftershave and/or balm. Having an alum block on hand is not a bad idea to try it out and see if it works well for you.

18. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

I used one every shave when I started. Now I only apply alum if I have had a rough shave or any nicks, which thankfully is fewer and further between.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs011:

I also rinse it off then apply AS. I also use alum on my fingers when straight razor shaving.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  20. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I use one after almost every shave. It helps with my skin (prone to acne), gives great feedback on to much pressure (especially for newbies), and doubles as a deodorant.

twhite and Bama Samurai like this.