Old Gillette blade ID help

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Sep 20, 2017.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Going to work shortly so I'll post pics tonight if anyone doesn't know which these are. Yesterday found a pack of 3 hold Gillette blades, green wrappers, in an odd (to me) blade case with a top that clips on rather than just slides off. The blades are in about as perfect shape as possible. A few have minor rust specks around the holes but the faces and edges are pristine and look quite shave-worthy; in fact I have an Old Type and am seriously considering taking one for a spin. I looked here,

http://www.renaldo.us/read4digitserials.html

but the number on these blades is 112. Any input welcome.

TobyC likes this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    TobyC likes this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Cool...106 year old shavable blades.

Jim99, Enrico and TobyC like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I hope your tetanus is up to date.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Three pass shave this morning. Nearly BBS, no nicks or any other issues. It's a carbon shave, which is its own thing, but the blade worked fine!

Jim99 likes this.
  7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad it worked.
    I'm not a carbon fan; too much tug.

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Hey Gorgo, did you do any prep to the blade before using it, or did you use it straight out of the wrapper?

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No prep. Thumbnail test suggested a surprisingly good edge so I rolled the dice on it as is.

I think what I like about carbons is that, while there is usually a bit of mild tug, you then can really feel it slicing through hairs and that's kind of rewarding. Good stainless slices through with no resistance...that has its own appeal but in a way carbon makes you feel like you're actually doing something. Probably just me.

Of course I did open the razor slightly and doused the head in 91% alcohol and will hand strap it next time. The Old Type performed well.

Straight Arrow and Jim99 like this.
  10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I have some old Gillette blades in wrappers and always wanted to try one. I might just do that!

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

You may be pleasantly surprised. The only old G blades that don't work well for me are the Thins. Everything else is serviceable.

Jim99 likes this.
  12. Morman Bridge

Hello @gorgo2 , and everyone. I have been following your experiment with interest. I too, have experimented with the old three hole blades as well as all the later Gillette blades. I am a huge fan of the Gillette Blue Blades from the 1940's. They are some of the sharpest and smoothest carbon steel blades ever. Especially from the war years. And most are well preserved too. As far as the three hole blades go, I have successfully used them, but I had issues with them also. I had some that were still sealed in the wax paper, that looked ok to my eyes, but were not very sharp. I have had some good experiences with non Gillette three hole blades though. I don't know why the Gillette three hole blades were so dull. But anyway, great experiment gorgo2, keep up the good work!

gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  13. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

No it's definitely not just you. You have said in a few short sentences what I have tried to say many times. For carbon blade lovers there is just no getting around the reality that we love the tug.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Ha! That should be our new motto: Hug the Tug!

Straight Arrow likes this.
  15. Morman Bridge

Hear, Hear!!!
    Hug the Tug!!!

Straight Arrow likes this.