Old Gillette Blue Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Adelio, May 14, 2013.

1. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

For the third day today, I shaved with a fifty-five-year-old Gillette Blue Blade in my 1956 Gold Aristocrat. I could almost hear Eisenhower talking. Three days for the old blade was about it, though. Back to the Wilkinson Sword.

2. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Was it a new old blade or one that came with the razor? I'm hoping the first.

3. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

A new old blade? No, it came with the razor. Is someone still making Gillette Blue Blades?

4. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

Oh, of course it was a new old blade. It wasn't in the razor; it was in its metal dispenser.

5. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I use "new old blades" including Gillette Blues all the time. The carbon steel blades are my favorites. In fact they are my preference over any current production blades.

6. Adelio

Adelio Active Member

That's interesting. Maybe it was my imagination that the Blue Blade didn't last as long as the Wilkinson Sword. Surely, though, the supply of new old blades is running out.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I haven't worked up the nerve to use a new old Blue Blade. I've read that they do not last as long as modern blades.

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

You can get three good shaves out of one, as long as you dry it after the shave. Most modern blades get a little funky after three anyway.

Lothar101 and alpla444 like this.
  9. newb

newb Resident Newb

Gillette blue blades are A OK for a vintage blade but have a very short life. For me, the Best vintage ever are the Gillette super stainless, very long lasting. A little rough for the first shave , but they smooth out very nice and last 7-10 shaves.