Old Spice and other vintage soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Andy27, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Andy27

Andy27 New Member

I'm working my way through a puck of Old Spice mug soap. I like it so much I picked up two more pucks. As has been mentioned on a number of the boards, it was/is a very good soap. I also have some vintage Shulton aftershave and cologne - which I do believe have different fragrances from the P&G fare.

Just wondering - any other vintage soaps worth looking for on ebay?

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Watch for the Yardley shaving soap in the wooden bowl. Great stuff!

3. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I just picked up Yardley and an old wood bowl of Williams. I'm not sure I'm going to try the Williams but the Yardley has been very very very nice. It has a very creamy comforting shave and rinses off cleanly and easily.

4. ctakim

ctakim Member

I am trying to grow my collection of old Old Spice soaps, but they are getting mighty pricey on the 'Bay these days!

5. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Yes,

I purchased one late last year for 20. One sold recently for 36.

Yikes.

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I got one for like 5 quid or so :D GREAT soap indeed :)

7. melyus

melyus Well-Known Member

I like old spice products good scent..

Regards!

8. Tinkerputzer

Tinkerputzer Member

I scored a unsealed puck of old spice (in a mug) at an antique store a while back. Just needed some dusting off and was ready to go. I shaved with it today and I must say the lather quality impresses me every time.

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Old Spice soap was nice, for sure, but I also remember from time to time I would get a bit of irritation from it. Everything else was good from it.

10. ctakim

ctakim Member

Anyone have an old Old Spice soap with the scent remaining? My vintage soap has pretty much given up the ghost smell wise, although it can lather like a demon. Of course I can just sprinkle a little P&G plastic bottle Classic OS AS on it to recreate the past (sort of)!

11. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I just scored a sealed puck of OS soap and gave it a sniff. It has a clean, soapy smell, but I honestly can't detect any OS scent.

12. crackstar

Here is a wonderful vintage soap called Shavallo, which was around in the 1920's, I believe. It was from England, and I am lucky to have 2 of them. What lather, with a nice classy scent, and what great skincare! :)

Attached Files:

13. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

I've probably, in my lifetime, had around thirty or so pucks of Old Spice soap. Of those thirty I'd say at least half of them had some smell left. It usually depends on whether the soap was stored out in the open or whether it was kept lidded. If you get one that's in its original container with the lid still on it, you'll find that it should smell very similar to the current India-produced tubed OS Shave Cream. The soap is a bit more spicy, though.

If all you smell is the soap and can't find any trace of traditional Old Spice, all of the fragrance has died. It's still a very good soap, however, regardless of scent. ;)

14. ctakim

ctakim Member

I can vouch for the good performance of these vintage Old Spice soaps, even if the scent is gone. They must be quite tallow rich!

15. OneRand

OneRand New Member

Thats a new one, thanks! 1920's, thats just crazy

16. crackstar

A marvellous soap, I really enjoy shaving with it.

17. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

I just picked up a Old Spice mug and a boxed still in wrapper Old Spice refill the other day for $5.00 at a local antique store. I admit I toyed with the idea of selling them off for a profit, but after reading this thread, I figured what the heck it was only $5.00 and I've never used a tallow based soap so I thought I would give it a try.

I was staggered, the lather really exploded off of my old boar brush. It was the first really good face lather I ever had. I usually do it in a bowl or mug but this stuff just lathered so well on my face. The lather was very slick and felt great.

So a question, is this similar to Tabac or MWF? If so, I may have to give them a try sometime.

18. Wishoot

Wishoot Member

I find Old Spice soap to provide a very similar shaving experience to Tabac. The only reason I prefer Tabac is because I love the scent (my Old Spice has absolutely zero scent).

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow! There is a bowl of this on EBay right now. Is it really that good to fetch the kind of price its at now? I mean $51.00 with two days to go kind of good?

Search for: "Vintage Antique Shaving Soap Yardley For Straight Razor", I know direct auction links are frowned on sometimes.

20. ClubmanRob

ClubmanRob New Member

IMO, no. That's in no way a great deal, especially considering I won the same item in a 12.00 (shipped) auction less than a year ago.

See what happens when guys like us start posting about how great items from the past are? You knuckleheads run out and start spending mad cash on it to where fellas like me can't afford it anymore. :signs107

:happy102