Old Tin of Colgate Rapid-Shave Powder

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by IAmTheJody, Dec 18, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

SPAD is better than SPAM! :bamspam:(yes! finally a reason to use this smiley!!!!)

Bird Lives and battle.munky like this.
  2. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Outstanding! I can't say that I'm surprised at how well the Colgate powder worked becuase I've been using the vintage stuff long enough to know what it's capable of. That truly is amazing stuff for being 100 years old.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Or 90.....:D
    :happy102:

I keed, I keed.
    [​IMG]

4. IAmTheJody

lol! 90 TO 100! 90 would put it made in 1922. 100 is based on the fact that I found an old advert from 1909 (103 years ago) so I know it was being made in 1912, 100 years ago. Just guesstimationism.

Bird Lives likes this.
  5. battle.munky

Just teasing you guys :p

Bird Lives and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Great video, Jody! That powder surprised me. I wasn't sure something that old would perform that well, but I suppose that as a powder there isn't really that much that can go wrong with it. Very nice. Are you planning on using it in your rotation, or are you going to put it back on the shelf and not use it anymore?

IAmTheJody likes this.
  7. IAmTheJody

I'm definitely going to use it. I've got to get through my vintage puck of Palmolive but this powder will be in the rotation for sure.

Bird Lives likes this.
  8. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :shocked029: what happened?

:happy102:

Bird Lives likes this.
  9. IAmTheJody

Oh, you know. Don't play it off. :happy097:

Bird Lives and Queen of Blades like this.
  10. supe

supe Active Member

great video!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

Wow Jody...I wish I could find some Colgate Powder. Hard to believe you got that much lather from just a sprinkle. Very good video and very interesting product. Thanks for posting.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Jody - you indeed are a kindred old soul; beautiful inside and out! Beautiful lather, beautiful brush, beautiful razor.

Well done!

Right On, Right On, Right On!

A Dram of Johnnie Walker Blue, From Me To You!

13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, it's old but it works.
    You were right, you should have used a vintage U.S. blade to complete the set.

I did get a slight chuckle about the R41 and the Personna 74 comment. Somehow I knew you would be the one to try it. So how many shaves did that combo provide?

14. IAmTheJody

To be fair, that blade had been rotated between the R41 and the 'Crat. If I recall correctly, it rode in the R41 four times and the 'Crat three times for a total of seven "2-pass and Jody Yoda J-hooking" shaves but the R41 does wear a blade out quicker so I think that's not bad at all.

15. battle.munky

Don't forget that beautiful drawl either Jeffro. Dude has a voice like Tupelo honey!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:signs011: :signs097: And I want some of that JWBlue with you cats....

IAmTheJody likes this.
  17. IAmTheJody

:happy102: I was wondering when someone was going to bring up my Southern accent. I always laugh at myself when I'm on video because I never hear it until I watch a video of myself talking. I've had some people from Louisiana ask me if I was from there because they say I've got cajun in my accent. They seem almost disheartened when I tell them I'm born and raised in Mississippi.

18. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You might laugh, but the chicks dig that "Southern Gentleman" vibe....The Cajun thing has French mixed up in there too...yours has more of that Rhett Butler, Doc Holliday thing going on...I think...What do you guys think ?

battle.munky likes this.
  19. frankflood

frankflood Active Member

thanks jody. saving me from watching the today show has never been so good. above all else, i mean the razor your accent and the powder i have to say i dig the trim in your bathroom:bounce015:

20. IAmTheJody

:happy097: That trim and wallpaper is only there because it was there when I bought the house and I'm too lazy and too cheap to change it. I wish I had the money to remodel both of my bathrooms. This house is 50 years old. They need it bad. When I bought the house, I had just enough money to renovate/remodel all of the house except the 2 bathrooms and now I'm stuck with all of their ugliness! :rofl: