Old Type With No Serial Number

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Gillette_Man, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Anybody know the story on these?

2. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I don't know the story but I must tell you...that is a beautiful razor!!!

3. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Did you check on the inner tube? I have one w/o any serial #, but it is made in England.

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Looks exactly like my 1919 Old Standard.

5. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Nothing there, and it says made in US on the bottom of the base plate.

6. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I had one of those. Except mine had the 1904 patent date on it.

Didn't they stop that in 1915 or something like that?

7. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Rick, can you tell if the head is a #102 or the thicker #102A? Do you have an older Old Type to compare it to? Take a shot side by side of the heads from the side. There were some post-1920 standards like this made and all have no serial numbers. These are fairly rare and even rarer without a cracked handle. These used the new thicker #102A cap and guard and were made from leftover pre-1921 Old Type parts. With the introduction of the New Improved models as the high grade options, Gillette mainly only produced the lower end pocket editions of the Old Type throughout the remainder of the 1920's.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Definitely the #102A head. I also notice that the pins (for lack of a better term) are tapered slightly at the ends. Thanks for the info, Guido.

9. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Very nice find then. I would say that is worth a pretty penny, especially without a crack.

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Really? Then perhaps I better not tell you what I paid for it. ;)

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Oh, I'm sure you got it for quite a bit less than what it is worth since not many people are even aware of the variety. Krumholz has the full set in fine condition listed at $30-$40. Yours may not have the case and blade holder (or does it?), but the condition is far better than fine and Krumholz' pricing is based upon the 1992 market. I would say it could easily be worth 2-3 times that now. Without the case I would still put it at around $75-$90, at least, based upon his other pricing and current market values.

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

No, I don't have the case. The funny thing is that I only bought this to replace the other razor in my picture that goes with a 1917 travel set because it has a nasty split in the handle. But this one would be from the wrong year. :rolleyes:

13. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

You ended up finding something more special than what you were looking for. Always cool when that happens. :D

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Indeed!

15. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

I just looked at my MI England old type and it has the 102A head as well.

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Does it say "England" underneath the head or on the inner barrel?

17. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

The only markings are the gillette in the diamond with the arrow through it on the bottom left under the head and MadeinEngland on the bottom right.

18. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

You know what, I just forgot about another old type I had and took a look at it. It is the same as yours, but is brassier in color. No markings other than the logo and MadeinU.S.A

19. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Okay, that's exactly like mine except it says "Made In USA".