On the Puck or In the Bowl?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

When lathering with cream, it's in the bowl obviously, but for those who use soap pucks, do you lather directly on the puck or in the bowl? I lather on the puck and still get decent enough results. John Moore compares the two methods.

So what's your preferred method, and why?

Ron R, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I do both. I will build my lather like this:

And then finish it(just trying to get a little more water in it) in the bowl or scuttle.

Str8 Shaver, Ron R and PLAla like this.
  3. Linuxguile

BTW if you see me mention super goop in any of my posts, this is what I'm talking about.

PLAla likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I was a bowl and jar lather-errr for the longest time, I've become strictly a biwl lather-errr.

PLAla likes this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I lather on the puck using the method from the video that @Linuxguile posted above. That's the best lathering video around.

6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I do both. Based on the brush, my history with the soap, etc. Btw, it isn’t a given to take creams to the bowl- you can dollop right onto the brush and face lather if you like.

DentonMajik and jeraldgordon like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Bostonians would call you a "lather-UH" :)

8. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I like this method. I haven't watched this before.

Only thing is change is I lather on my face - otherwise my technique is pretty similar (although based on this guy I think I need to take more time with it).

I can't understand why you would waste all that lovely lather on your hand.

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

I think he explains in the video that he normally finishes the lather on his face.

Dansco likes this.
  10. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

On the soap, in a bowl.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

on hard soaps i load from the puck and lather in a bowl. i then rinse and let the puck air dry. only use hard soaps on weekends when i have more time. i use creams/croaps during the week.

Ron R likes this.
  12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

..I'll watch it properly later :lyrtuy5:

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I like to lather in a bowl for Croaps and creams because I can control the the consistency better and cleanups are very easy also if I'm changing different soaps because I have only one bowl in use to maybe do 7 or 8 different soaps during a rotation!(I take a dollop of croap and press it into the bottom of my modified bowl or center of brush with cream and operator & brush with bowl determine the results .) I believe adding water to a croap container it came with and closing the lid leads to problems and lesser shelf life over time IMO.

Hard soap such as Tabac gets mixed in its own puck bowl and applied to the face and add water to brush if its to dry until I'm satisfied of the consistency of soap and water . Turn puck bowl upside down when not to be used for approx 24hrs> and put lid back on until rotation calls for it again- that procedure has given me great soap lather results with no other issues.

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Most of my hard soaps, I will load the brush for 30 seconds and then go to my face and lather on my face. I find when using Mitchells WF, I need to load for 40 seconds before going to the face to lather. Now, my cream in a tub just get 3 or four swirls before going to my face. I just don't do bowls anymore. If it is cream from a tube, see below:

jtspartan, Ron R and Dansco like this.
  15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I lather right on the puck. I used to load the brush on the puck and then build lather in a mug or bowl but now I just load it on a puck and face lather. I feel like it saves me a step and the exfoliating is good for my skin.

16. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I too load from the puck and lather on the face. I load with a slightly damp brush and go to the face with a thin layer and then begin slowly build a lather adding water as I go until I get just the lather I am looking for. This method works well for me.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I face lather everything. Even creams do not need a bowl. I load soap from the cake then lather on my face creams I either rub on my beard then lather or put on my brush then face lather. The exception is if I use my scuttle with a cream.

john zeiger likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You Sir may proceed along the path!!

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I don't need a bowl, periodically I will use a bowl. For me I can make a richer lather using a bowl, but don't usually use one.

20. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I start building on the puck and move to my face to complete lathering. I tried bowl lathering about 15 years ago, but didn't care for it, so I went back to what I was used to. I've seen videos of folks who bowl lather and they get terrific results.