One I havent tried...............yet

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rick, Jul 11, 2008.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

OK. So heres the deal:

Merkur Vision

I want the good, the bad and the ugly on this beast.
    Its one of the few razors left I want to try but Im hesitant to throw down a Ben (or more) on a mediocre shaver that doesnt get much love in the forums.
    What say ye, oh wise ones ??

2. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

I have permanently turned to straight razors but I am curious about the Vision as well. Most of its users say it really is the best DE out there. It should be considering what it costs!

3. sanpaku

sanpaku New Member

count me among the curious! i fear it's an unwieldy and weghty beast that makes you conform to its will...

what up, vision fans?

4. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

Have you tried a Gillete super adjustable? I'm a big fan. But I still rank it a small notch below my merkur barberpole slant....

5. Will

Will Nevermind

I will bet you 3 magic beans that it shaves just as good as your Slim.:cool:

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Haha, I need some magic beans ;) I have read the heads are pretty huge on the visions....might make shaving under the nose somewhat tricky....

7. Pauldog

Pauldog New Member

I think the Futur is interesting and unique, but with the Vision, my opinion is that they went overboard.

8. rick

Have had and / or traded or sold:

HD
    12C
    Futur
    FatBoy
    Weishi
    New
    Old
    Tech
    Aristocrat

and have kept:
    Slim
    SS
    39C Slant SledgeHammer
    Sticky (altho not my favorite razor)

So.
    If I never buy another, it wouldnt bother me cause any of these is all I really need.....
    But I am curious and since I sport a Van Dyke, the "under the nose" issue wouldnt be a problem.

9. riffin

riffin Active Member

The Vision was my first DE! I loved it...till I tried some others. :) It's big and heavy, but I like that in a razor. Instead of letting the razor do the work, I think it works a bit better the think of applying NEGATIVE pressure. I managed to get under my nose with it, but then I didn't have anything else to compare it to. I got it because, by one users account (can't find the review now), it had a wide range of adjustability. The gentlest setting was gentler than most, and the aggressive setting was quite aggressive.

I had three break in quick succession and in the end Merkur swapped it at my request for a Future and Progress. I don't think the engineering is as good as it needs to be, given it's complexity and and mass.

The Future is a much simpler mechanism, less prone to breaking and a better shave, in my opinion. The Progress is even slightly better. While I won't use a Vision ever again, the Future and Progress are among my top favorites.

Oh, and Merkur customer service is fantastic! While I was having my problems, they were very gracious, helpful and accommodating. They did the swap even though they usually do returns/exchanges through their dealers (Classic Shaving, in my case).

10. sanpaku

sanpaku New Member

spending a portion of my year in germany, the whole merkur lack of perfect engineering thing blows my mind. there's nothing worse to a german than something that doesn't work (as it should).

think i'll stick to my simple tried and true blue tip.

11. riffin

riffin Active Member

Don't get me wrong. I think Merkur products are very well engineered. But, as far as I can tell, the VISION is an exception. And it very possible that I had a run of bad luck. I mean how many do they make per year. If I'd gotten another Vision, it might have been handed down to my grandson in perfect working order. I love my Future and Progress. I'll probably get some of their non-adjustables down the line.

12. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Is this the DE razor that showed up on the new Battlestar Galactica? If so, I'm wanting to give it a try, too...

13. rick