One month of DE shaving...still doing something wrong.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by venom0706, Mar 28, 2014.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Thanks for all the replies! How often do you change your equipment?

2. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I change my blade once a week but it's always the same type. I rotate through 3 or 4 soaps/creams. That's all that I change.

3. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

And if I master everything in the end, will I get a closer shave with the DE razor, than I get with the cartridge (even if I get the perfect closest shave when shaving against the grain with a Gillette Fusion, which IMO can't be topped)?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In my opinion, yes.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yep. Once you get it all figured out you'll have a better shave than any cartridge.

6. ajdhn

ajdhn Well-Known Member

Oh yes, definitely. There is a reason that so many people are roaming sites like this :)

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've thought about this and need to reconsider my answer.
    It really doesn't matter what we say because your mind is already made up that your way can't be topped.

J_Man likes this.
  8. Eric Green

Eric Green Active Member

There's a re-occurring theme here if you look at the thread. So let's take a few of them, no particular order and not exhaustive . Just look at what the guys are telling you, it's all good useful stuff.

1. Relax. Take your time, give yourself time.
    2. Give your skin time to heal. Use disposables for a week.
    3. Start with a good pre shave routine. Proraso pre/post shave. Take your time.
    4. Change one thing at a time, keeping all the others constant.
    5. Know your face, how does the hair grow. On the left, on the right, on your neck, jawline. Take your time.
    6. Consentrate on technique totally, short strokes initially.
    7. Don't put pressure on the blade. Let the weight of the shaver and the sharpness of the blade do the work.
    8. Don't do to many passes initially, 2 passes may be comfortable, 3 passes may cause nicks and irritation. OK stay at two.
    9. Post shave a good moisturiser/ balm will help the skin to heal
    10. Take your time, relax, give yourself time. It shouldn't be a race or chore.

Best wishes Dude...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Closer? For me, no. But I don't want to replicate cartridge results. Carts are expensive and they cause skin issues for me- I think they get too close. The method I've developed works just right for me. Give it time and you'll decide on what's right for you.

Troy M likes this.
  10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

How many times do you use a blade? DE is not like cartridge shaving. With the Mach 3 I could get a couple of weeks out of a blade head. With a DE, 3 or 4 days max. Three's better.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It sounds as if the Gillette Fusion is the way to go for you in order to get the untoppable shave!
    [​IMG]
    Personally, multi blade carts and I don't get along despite nearly 20 years of trying. I grew weary of the skin rash, throat bumps, and tender spots each morning.
    Switching back to wet-shaving was a revelation—but did require some relearning of technique that had been neglected for many years.
    No one here can guarantee nor successfully convince you that you will get a closer shave than you do with the Fusion. You need to discover this for yourself. We all have different skin types, sensitivities and facial hair growth patterns. But for many of us here on this shaving forum, we've become enamored with not only the history and shaving ritual, but also the darn good results we get from using vintage SE razors, and both vintage & modern DE and straight razors.

13. KingColliwog

KingColliwog New Member

I highly suggest you try other blades if you haven't before. In two weeks I tried 5 blades and 3 out of the 5 were simply terrible for me (even if they are highly regarded by many people). If you already tried a nice sampler, then is it possible you might react to your cream? Do you have another one you can try for a bit?

If you're 100% sure it's not your equipment then it could just be technique so the usual "no pressure, good angle, take your time"

Good luck

14. lobomalo72

lobomalo72 Member

You are applying to much pressure and maybe moving to fast. I do 3 passes most of the time. WTG, XTG and ATG, with a little touch up. Another thing I do is I leave my razor in hot water along with my brush while I shower. Try slowing down, make shorter strokes and use all three directions.