One razor that EVERYONE could agree on

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It is a fun thread, it is interesting to see everyone's opinion.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

40's English Techs give a fine shave.:D

3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You always were such a troublemaker!

:taunt002:

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

No apologies necessary.
    Achieving a BBS shave is rarely the issue. How one gets there is what opens the door to personal preference. I've always enjoyed using a Mühle R41 as my go-to DE razor but I realize that particular razor is never going to win a popularity contest as it is a very unforgiving razor. One misstep and it'll bite! Not everyone is going to enjoy using it—and I understand why. Some of us enjoy highly-aggressive razors, others prefer the milder versions.
    "More than one way to skin a cat face!"

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Not sure why folks need to get back to favorites. I also prefer the R41. Or even the Ikon Tech which I use way more than the Tech. But I could be content with the Tech or Krona. Without active dislike like the OP said.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Interesting thread... I would say the best all-around razor, hands down, is the Lord, retrofitted with a quality handle. Still the most used daily driver of my 50+ razors. Essentially the Merkur, but just a bit smoother... that's MY story, and I'm sticking to it!

RyX likes this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I have a vague memory of passing up a number of those cheap looking plastic handled injectors. <insert "Doh" & face palm> I was a couple years younger and didn't know better. Having experienced Types G;1&8, J;1,2,&3, an L7 and a Prototype - The Bunny... I'm watching for E's and the elusive affordable F.
    Got a couple Kronas in my den. I found them mild to the point of near ineffective. But my father used them, and passed them to me. They won't get traded. Maybe passed to a son or nephew should they show interest.

8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Modern DE razor:- Muhle R41 v2013 head with iKon Bulldog handle
    Modern SE razor:- Colonial Razors "The General Alum. Head" with iKon Bulldog handle
    Vintage DE razor:- Gillette Ball End Tech 1965 K2
    Vintage SE razor:- I'm still looking for a GEM Bullet Tip Close Comb :(

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  9. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I think the same of the Tech myself. What blades have you tried ?

10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You've created a monster.

Keithmax and gorgo2 like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have 7 techs and each one is a great shaver. I have prewar, post war, plastic bottom and an English and a couple of Canadians. In my opinion a great razor. Is it aggressive? No, but it'll clean me up nicely. I don't think it's boring at all, or a mindless shaver. This razor can cut and will if you let it. If I could only have one razor it would be a tech... just don't ask me which version..

Jim99 likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Like all mild razors a "mindless" shave with the Tech (or Krona) will deliver a safe but unremarkable shave. Pay more attention to angle and you'll do well.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

DE - 40's Super Speed or Red Tip

Injector - I2 Hydro-Magic

SE - Damskeene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Pretty much my line of thought as well. I prefer a SS or Aristocrat, I find them all to be very easy to achieve a very good shave but Techs are fairly automatic.

Jim99 and PLANofMAN like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

17. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever heard a bad word about the Merkur 34C.

jeraldgordon likes this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A fine, popular razor but there's always been ongoing vocal opposition from the anti-zamak crowd.

Enrico and BigMark83 like this.
  19. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yet there are absolutely brazillions of Gillette Tech razors with a Zamak head that still look great and work great and have been doing great things since the Korean War.

DesertTime and jmudrick like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

^^^ this ^^^

PanChango likes this.