Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

OCtober 2017 - day 26.

[​IMG]

Vintage Gillette Goodwill NEW (LC, #160, made in USA) / custom handle.
    Asco Super Stainless (red wrapper) (6).

Yaqi model R151016-S2.
    Jabones by Luna "Fauno".
    PeReJa Lavender EdC.

In 1931 Gillette started issuing the Goodwill razors - when buying a tuck of 10 "new model" blades one would receive a Goodwill razor for free (as promotion).
    See the special way of positioning the blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Thursday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Colgate Mug Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #229
    Gillette Goodwill
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Colgate Mug Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #229 synthetic brush. I thought I had written about CMS somewhere, but I will repeat. The CMS, to me, has no scent at all. It may be that it is an old, old puck, but it lathers like crazy. As far as cushion and slickness, I really don't know how to evaluate those. I do know that I got no irritation, nicks, or cuts. I did two passes with the Gillette Goodwill razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 26, 2017
    Wolfman Ti OC (0.74 blade gap)
    Personna 74 (11)
    WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
    Fine Platinum Soap and Aftershave

[​IMG]

sdguero, Linuxguile and Norcalnewb like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

F1D1E387-673D-4783-AE31-40A56E98E38E.jpeg

OCtober 26 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Gatlinburg
    1936 Gillette Aristocrat
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Gatlinburg AS

sdguero, clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Today starts an Above the Tie trilogy; an S2 slant DE, an SE2 open comb AC format razor and in the last pairing for Phase 2 an ATT R2 medium DE vs a Fatip Piccolo. When it comes to modern razors I have yet to find one I don't really love. The S2 even preformed better in Phase 1 than my Gillette Senator which for a long time was my absolute favorite open comb razor.

Lower shelf, second from left:
    [​IMG]
    Today's shave was just another great Above the Tie shave; a smooth, effortless, comfortable, two pass and very minor touchup PDG+ near perfect shave. This is one of the razors that always leaves me wishing I could find something more to mow down. It is one I was lucky enough to find listed in a BST post and one I really am glad to have found. It was my gateway entry into the ATT razors and now there are almost a half dozen of them living with me. Feels like the old days when a rugby team came to town.

Today's ritual was out of the shower, brush hair back and use a cable tie to hold in a pony tail (a little maybe 10 year old girl shopping for school supplies with her mom taught me how to do that in the middle of the aisle in Walgreens; me on my knees, she standing behind me and twisting my hair up into a rope while she explains that "My hair is too skinny! "And even first graders know how to make a pony tail! " and her mom laughing). For soap it was more Old Spice but with a Stag pure badger brush. Stag was a Rexall house brand along with Rex and Kleenzo IIRC but I find it generally makes great lather.

After the shave it was a rub down with the alum block, one last search for the missing hare that hopped away when I tried to get it, then a dab of Pre de Provence followed by some Clubman.

[​IMG]

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

OCtober 26, 2017

Paladin Churchill
    Mystic Water Barbershop
    Wolfman Ti OC with Darwin
    Polsilver Super Iridium
    Barrister and Mann Seville AS
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]

sdguero, Jayaruh, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jan Zoethout

OCtober 2017 - day 27.

[​IMG]

Blackland "Blackbird" OC with long (101 mm) handle.
    Asco Super Stainless (red wrapper) (7).

J&T® padoek / finest 2-band.
    Scheermonnik "Delfts wit".
    Hugo Boss Bottled EdT.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 27, 2017
    Wolfman Ti OC (0.74 blade gap)
    Personna 74 (12)
    WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
    Fine Italian Citrus Shaving Soap
    Fine italian Citrus Aftershave

[​IMG]

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Friday's OC Shave
    [​IMG]

Proraso Pre Shave
    Colgate Mug Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #229
    Gillette NEW SC
    Gillette Silver Blue
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Pinaud Clubman

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Colgate Mug Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Jayaruh #229 synthetic brush. I did two passes with the Gillette NEW SC razor and Gillette Silver Blue blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Pinaud Clubman AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

10. Boojum1

OCtober 27, 2017

Love Your Shave Two Band
    CRSW Juniper Soap and Aftershave
    Rhodium Rose Gold Gillette New
    Personna 74 Tungsten
    ADP Blu Mediterraneo Ginepro

[​IMG]

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

63EA2C37-5DDC-4B2D-A90D-8B05FECB270F.jpeg

OCtober 27 SOTD:

Rubberset 400
    Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale
    1936 Gillette Aristocrat
    Wholly Kaw Monaco Royale AS

Jayaruh, clint64, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  12. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yesterday I used the ATT S2 open comb slant and today it is the AC open comb razor from ATT, the SE2. Yesterdays shave was near perfect and today's was almost as good. I got careless today and put the razor to my face blade first instead of head first right at the corner of my lip. The result was a clean eighth inch nick. Definitely my bad just not paying attention. A quick swipe with the alum block and all was once again right in the world.

Top Row second from left:
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow will complete the trilogy with the razor on the far left top row, an ATT R2.

I guess of all the possible blade formats out there the AC blade is near the bottom of my list, with only the Schick Injector beneath it. Today it was a Feather Professional and I also have some Kai and Schick Proline AC format blades I'll try in it but while I love my ATT razors the SE2 is likely the one that will get the least face time.

[​IMG]
    The brush today is a Zenith 506 Horse Hair on it's first post Spa Day actual shave use trip and it did shed more hairs than any brush I have ever owned; ten or eleven hairs. I hope it will stop but if that continues I will need to contact the seller. I have quite a few Zenith brushes and even quite a few with the 506 handle; a Finest and a Manchurian Badger as well as a Boar and they have not shed any hairs.

Soap was from Above The Tie, an Orange Blossom and Jasmine and aftershave was Pre de Provence balm then Pinaud Bay Rum.

Norcalnewb, Jayaruh, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  13. Boojum1

Sweet setup Jim! not_worthy.gif

Norcalnewb and clint64 like this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN OCtober 26th
    [​IMG]

Gillette Sheraton
    Voskhod (2)
    Dr Jon's Hydra
    Surrey w/ 24MM TGN 3 Band Synthetic
    Homemade Tangerine AS

15. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

OCtober 27, 2017

Face Shave:
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Merkur 1904 OC
    Blade: Personna Red (1)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, P&G Old Spice AS

Head Shave:
    Pre-shave: same
    Shave soap: VDH Luxury
    Brush: RazoRock Synthetic
    Razor: same
    Blade: same
    Post-shave: same

This was Shave #13 with this travel size can of Barbasol. This can has not started "wheezing" or "spitting" yet thus showing evidence it's about to give up. I'm still only using it for face shaves, which by the way was an excellent shave. Maybe not perfect BBS, but very close.

The head shave was equally good. I enjoy the VDH Luxury. It was my first shave puck after all and it continues to provide me with excellent results. Have a great weekend, everyone!
    IMG_1530.JPG

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

That is a interesting way to hold the top cap to the rest of the razor, the Merkur Futur uses the same concept of securing the top cap with two nibs.

sdguero and clint64 like this.
  17. Jan Zoethout

OCtober 2017 - day 28.

[​IMG]

Vintage Gillette NEW (LC, FB, made in England) / custom handle.
    Asco Super Stainless (red wrapper) (8).

J&T® padauk / finest 2-band.
    Jabones by Luna "Edición Especial Foroafeitado".
    PeReJa Lavender EdC.

The NEWs made in England were built a bit different from the US NEWs.
    This is the FB (Flat Bottom) version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

OCtober 28, 2017
    Wolfman OC Ti (0.74mm) with Triad Ti Aristocrat
    Personna 74 (13)
    Wild West Brushworks 30mm Tuxedo
    Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge
    Fine Lavender

[​IMG]

19. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Today was the third Above the Tie razors in Phase 2, a DE R2 which is the medium plate with open comb. The three ATT razor are the left most pair on the top shelf and the second from the left on the lower shelf.

[​IMG]
    Yesterday was the SE2, an AC format using a Feather AC blade and I managed to nick myself. Today's shave was the sixth shave on this blade and the blade was tugging. The final result today is only OK, not great but mostly because I was still irritated from yesterday and the blade was at the end of it's useful life. It ended up in the Used Blade bottle.

Today's cream was TOBS Lemon Lime and I used the Gibbs boar brush. It's pretty much broken in already and so will move into the regular rotation. I finished off with some TOBS St. James spray stuff.

[​IMG]
    We are also really near the end of OCtober and tomorrow will be the last of the classic Open Combs, a Fatip Piccolo. I have a Rolls I'll likely try to work in Monday or Tuesday to close things out.

20. Boojum1

OCtober 28, 2017

Simpson Chubby 2
    Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe
    Wolfman Ti WR1-OC with Cu Darwin
    Personna Med Prep
    Barrister and Mann Seville AS
    Brooks Brothers 1818

[​IMG]