Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Leave the teeth alone. It does not affect the shave and they can break if you try to adjust them.

BTW: That is an excellent razor. I know ...

Boojum1 likes this.
  2. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Yes, brass breaks better than it bends. I have no intentions of mucking about with it. Should be a good old shaver though. I may be shouting out for assistance in dating. There was no mention of any serial numbers in the ad, and it appears to be free of any markings except the Nov. 15 '04 patent info at the handle base. No serial on the base plate, I'll see if the barrel is marked when it's in hand. The case appears to be ~1908-1918, but of course that doesn't mean it originally contained that razor...

Also, I apologize for any safety razor cultural faux pas in advance. I'm a straight razor guy and this whole DE thing is new to me. :D

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Look on the inside of the barrel and see if there is a serial number.

You can use this guide to find what year it was made if the serial number is visible enough based on the serial number.

http://www.renaldo.us/grbd.php

Bill_F, Boojum1 and entropy1049 like this.
  4. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

That isn't really a bent tooth.
    It's a battle scar, likely won honestly, and it adds character. :)

GDCarrington and entropy1049 like this.
  5. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

My (ex) wife has one crooked tooth...I think I'll call the razor "Lori" :rofl:

Boojum1, Herm2502 and GDCarrington like this.
  6. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Thought I would add some pics of my NEW OC, 34 Crat, and Micromatic to the thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bristle Me, Boojum1, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Great adds!

youngunn likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is one I forgot to post here ...

[​IMG]

Bristle Me, Boojum1, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  9. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Gillette Old Type Open Comb Ball End NDC 1920s (from "The Weekender" by Metalfield kit)

image.jpg

Bristle Me, Boojum1, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

My Khaki Set 1919 so it never went into combat as far as I know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    Bristle Me, Boojum1, Spud and 5 others like this.
  11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Are these an aggressive razor? I really like the look of them.

12. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Wow that's cool

Spud and GDCarrington like this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Not vintage, but this is my new (actually used) Merkur 41C "1904":

Merkur 1904.JPG

14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a Circle Travel Kit ...

[​IMG]

Bristle Me, Herm2502 and youngunn like this.
  15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hello
    This is a general question for open comb shavers: I had my first shave with an open comb the other day and to me it felt quite a bit more aggressive compared to the vintage closed combs I have tried so far. In some historical posts on TSD it appears the consensus is that open combs are no more aggressive than closed; it's the amount of blade exposure that determines aggressiveness. Any thoughts from the hard- core open comb shavers?

16. Herm2502

I'm hardly "hard core" when it comes to OC razors, I'm actually very new to OC razors. But I've come to really like them. I've recently used an Old Type, a New, a New Standard and one unbranded OC that looks like an Old Type. While there may be variations, I didn't find the OC's I tried any more aggressive than any of my closed comb razors. I've found that the ANGLE of the head/blade to your skin is absolutely key to a good shave, especially on these vintage OC's. I actually held the razor against the back of my hand and examined how/when the blade touched my skin. Then I noted the optimum angle and transferred that angle to my face. Give it time, my first shave with an OC was NOT fun. Now I really like them.

Spud likes this.
  17. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Yes, it is aggressive for me. It demands more concentration, a lighter touch and short confident strokes. It's one good looking razor though.

Herm2502 likes this.
  18. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Is it a New Long open comb?

19. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Can anyone identify this razor? I bought it on eBay. It is the first and only open comb I've used and thus far has given me the best shave ever. It's my go- to razor for the foreseeable future. I believe it's an a NEW short comb but I would like to know for sure. The writing at the base says "PAT JAN 13 1920 USA other patents pending"
    Thanks,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Herm2502

Spud, I believe you have a Gillette New long comb (1930's). I have the same razor, it provides a wonderful shave. Jay or GD can confirm. Beauty!

Spud likes this.