Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Thanks Herm. It's magnificent. I've been wet shaving for almost a year and recently bought some vintage razors but this one, for me, is in a league of its own. I get by far the smoothest shave of any razor yet. I might try to acquire a Bostonian sometime.

Herm2502 likes this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I'm new to OC razors too. I tried a NEW just for OC-tober. During the month I also found a New Standard (see earlier in this thread). I actually like the NS better (its prettier, too). My impression is that OC razors take a bit more "technique" but I really enjoy them now.

Spud likes this.
  3. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for a Deluxe Short Comb to arrive. I'm looking forward to it. I'll post photos here when I get it.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

OC Monday 2 February 2015

image.jpg

Loved the shave today! Super close and smooth!​

5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Fatip Grande (just got it new a week ago)

P1010868_25pct.jpg

Don't know why, but it feels completely different from it's older sibling, the Piccolo.

Piccolo_256.png

Going to use the same blade in the Piccolo tomorrow that I used in the Grande today.
    Maybe it just seems that the older Piccolo was more aggressive?

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Supposedly they have has some QC improvements over time to be more consistant between units.

Bristle Me, Bama Samurai and BigMark like this.
  7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

That would be nice.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Here are my 3 OC. The first is a 1921 with a new handle that is 4 inches long. The original handle, next to it, has a split in it. The next razor with the nice looking handle is from the 20's also, but not sure. Just what I was told. The end razor is a NEW long comb from the 30's. Enjoy.
    [​IMG]

Mustache, grump, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  9. Roderick

Roderick Well-Known Member

Old Type, Tuckaway New Standard from the 20's, and a New LC. They are all great shavers. Enjoy your adventure.

Rapidray likes this.
  10. Rapidray

Rapidray Well-Known Member

Thank you for the confirmation.;)

11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

You find the newer round of razors less aggressive?

Bristle Me likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

VII February MMXV Shave

[​IMG]

grump, Roderick and clint64 like this.
  13. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I believe that is true Gary. Overall, the new Grande is much nicer than it's older counterpart.
    The machining cuts are more crisp, the plating (mine is nickel) is done well and it looks uniform.
    Unlike the older Grande, (and the older Piccolo which I still have) you cannot see on the top of
    the top cap where the threaded stud is fitted. The top cap also fits better onto the baseplate than
    the older model. There is still play, but it's not a "sloppy" fit like the older razor.

No, not at all.
    It's still an aggressive razor to be sure, but completely different from it's older kin.
    It's very smooth now, and smooth with several different blades.
    In the older razors, I used the Derby Extra almost exclusively.
    The new razor does well with the Derby too, but it fairly shines with the Astra SP and SS,
    Gillette 7OC green, Big Ben stainless, Rapira Super Stainless, and Shark Super Stainless.
    The older Grande, (and Piccolo) didn't fare well with any of these blades.
    In the new Grande, these sharper blades are wicked effective and deceptively smooth.
    To me, it's somewhat like the Merkur 37C slant. Pleasant to hold, balanced well, and
    very, very efficient. As long as you take your time and pay close attention 2 passes will
    get you BBS (or nearly so) every time. Just don't let your attention wane...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    BigMark and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Herm2502

My current contribution to the OC thread is my new 1907 Single Ring (serial number 895735). Found this one on Etsy recently and it cleaned up nicely. And best of all...no cracks! I sent a pic to Chris at RazorPlate who thinks it is silver plated. Here it is, ready to shave:

Single Ring 2.JPG

Here it was before cleanup. A light touch with a brass brush can really work magic!
    Single Ring Before.JPG

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I can answer the question of the plating. It is silver plated. The science is below.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/another-gillette-single-ring-cleaning-picture-heavy.25538/

Herm2502 and Roderick like this.
  16. Herm2502

Thanks for the confirmation! Chris said the blue/black tarnish under the head was the indication. Unfortunately, my "cleaned up" picture has a slight gold tint to it for some reason. The razor is really VERY silver and the pic just doesn't do it justice! I've always wanted one of these, but they are usually overpriced. I'd say $26 for this one was a nice deal.

I just read through your cleanup thread and will try the baking soda, aluminum foil method this weekend! Thanks Gary.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

XII February MMXV Shave

[​IMG]

grump likes this.
  18. Herm2502

Gary, you were SO right! Wow, I did the baking soda - aluminum foil technique and was amazed at the improvement in the look of the razor. There is still plenty of silver left with the exception of the bottom knob. The darkness under the head and at the top of the handle are completely gone! Here's another (bad) pic - the razor looks MUCH better than this.

Single Ring 4.JPG

I was happy before, now I'm ecstatic! Thanks so much! :thanks:

clint64 and GDCarrington like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Excellent. Get the Hagerty polish I recommend in the thread. It will reduce oxidation over time. Less rework.

Herm2502 and grump like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That looks fantastic. Now you have me wanting one.

Bird Lives, Herm2502 and GDCarrington like this.