Open Comb Central - The Place With Real Teeth (No R41, Hybrid or Closed Combs)

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by GDCarrington, Sep 29, 2014.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Have you used the valet with a feather SE blade?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

No I haven't.

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A thing of beauty. So misunderstood.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you would like to try one let me know. I have some SS and some carbon steel blades.

clint64 and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

Yeah I'd like to, thx. Would like to see the difference. And as I understand, they can be used in all of the Auto-Strop razors.

clint64 likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Send me a PM with an addy I will get them out to you in a few days. They fit all of the razors I have.

clint64 and jimjo1031 like this.
  7. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20170516

[​IMG]

Brush: J&T® lacewood / Tuxedo synthetic 30 mm.
    Shaving soap: TFS Barba Verde.
    Razot: Merkur 41C.
    Blade: Racer Super Class Platinum (8).
    After shave: Lea after shave balm (sample).

8. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello all, I just wanted to post my OC SOTD for today. Thanks in advance for checking it out!
    [​IMG]

This Gillette Brownie Old Type (thick cap/guardplate ) is the first vintage razor set I found in the wild. It was unused. The razor itself had a badly split handle, but was obviously brand new. The gold plating was, and still is beautiful. The case was in great condition as well. I got really lucky. It took awhile to get it to, and back from my motorcycle mechanic who repaired many of my handles at that time. But the wait was worth it. Just like this morning, the razor /shave was great. For today's shave, I used a 1948 Gillette Blue Blade, some TOBS Traditional Luxury Shaving Soap, my usual Nivea post shave balm, a splash of Clubman Special Reserve, followed by some 360 Red by Perry Ellis, and the end result was a two pass BBS! It was a fantastic shave. So I hope everyone has a as good or better shave, and God Bless You All!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

SOTD - Broke out one of my new types today. I don't use them often. Thater 4125 Super (24mm fan). WSP Rustic Sandalwood soap and AS. DSCN0972[1].JPG

10. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

:signs021:You had a guy that fixed bikes and vintage razors. Hopefully he was as good with the scoots as he was with razors.

clint64 likes this.
  11. Morman Bridge

Hello, yes, he is a fantastic mc mechanic, a great friend, and an all around good dude! I'm really blessed to have him on my short list.

Puma and clint64 like this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful OT, Alan!
    Lovely New, I really like the nickel plated versions!

Puma and clint64 like this.
  13. Morman Bridge

Thank you Andrew! Have a blessed day my friend!

clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Bigelow Parkin Travel Razor
    [​IMG]

15. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

Thanks Andrew. That was the first vintage razor I bought. I rarely use it because I want to preserve the nickel. I have a gold one that has lost most of its plating, the cap looks like copper. I'm thinking of getting that one plated in nickel and using it more often.

jimjo1031, clint64 and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Linuxguile

I have a SC and a LC in similar state, tough I kinda like the bare metal look.

jimjo1031, clint64 and Puma like this.
  17. Linuxguile

SOTD May 18th
    [​IMG]

Gillette Sheraton
    Rapira Platinum Lux
    Anchorset w/ 24MM Game Changer style synthetic knot
    La Toja

I'm taking a deviation from MAYhem to give a few new acquisitions a try. My first impressions with the Gillette Sheraton are that it is a very mild razor, I'm glad that I chose one of my top tier sharp blades to put in it. I also used my newly restored Anchorset for the first time, WOW! It whipped up a great later out of the La Toja, very dense and creamy. The knot is very soft and set about 4MM deeper then the top of the plug gave it a very nice amount of backbone too. I'm very happy with the way this brush turned out! So after 3 passes with the Sheraton I was able to pull off a very nice DFS+ level shave and could have done a little touch up to catch the baby, but I was happy with the shave so let him go for someone else to catch. Have a great day my friends!

18. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20170520

[​IMG]

Brush: J&T® padauk / finest 2-band 24 mm.
    Shaving soap: Barbiere di Figaro "Distinto".
    Razor: Rotbart Mond Extra.
    Blade: Supermax Super Platinum (1).
    After shave: Arko Men Cool after shave cream.

The old Rotbart reminds me of the Gillette Old Type - mild yet effective.

Have a nice day, everybody ! :)

19. jimjo1031

Gillette Single Ring Razor
    Personna Lab Blue Blade
    Frank Shaving Boar Brush
    Arko Shave Stick
    Dickinson's Witch Hazel
    Avon Oland After Shave (Beer Barrel Decanter)

20170522_131931.jpg

20. Linuxguile

SOTD May 21st
    [​IMG]

Gillette Sheraton
    Rapira PL (2)
    Stirling 24mm Synthetic
    Blades Grim Smolder

After remembering that most early Gillette razors were marketed as "adjustable" simply by opening them up a little I decided to see if I could add some MAYhem to an otherwise very mild razor. After locking down the Sheraton fully I opened it back up a 1/4 turn. I did notice that there was some increased blade gap due to the blade sitting a little flatter in the razor head. Built a beautifully slick lather and away we go. Yes indeed, that is what the razor needed!It went from feeling like a blue tip to feeling like a NEW. I was in a bit of a hurry as I was trying to get ready for some company so I went with 2 passes WTG and DATG and ended up with a very close DFS. A splash of smolder AS and got a comment from my wife that I was smelling good!! Have a great day friends!

Jayaruh, Roderick, Puma and 2 others like this.