Open comb or closed comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mxsloan, Aug 18, 2014.

1. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

So after reading thw forum and talking with my local shop guys I've found my next razor. The Merkur Classic 1904, but not sure about comb type. My local guys said the open comb is good because it leaves a little more cream on your face just befoe the bland contacts the skin. I've been dropping hints to my wife about which one to buy me for our anniversary next month. What is a side by side of open vs cloed comb?

2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Hey mxsloan, what is your current razor again? May help us give you an answer. Also, are you looking for more aggressive or milder than what you currently have? I own both and enjoy both for different reasons. My current favourite has a scalloped safety bar, which is almost in between a safety bar and open comb. However, I think it is closer to CC. This is definitely going to be a YMMV situation.

mxsloan likes this.
  3. R-C

R-C Member

Yep, I have different razors and enjoy each of them. I do like the iKon deluxe open comb, but the iKon Shavecraft 101 has both sides.

I think you should drop hints for both.

mxsloan likes this.
  4. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I have a feather popular. About as mild of a safety razor you can get. I want something to set step up to. Still mild but a little more aggressive than the feather

R-C likes this.
  5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Your skin and your experience will tell you how you will go on
    I had no choices back in 1983 so i use a TTO
    I continue to use this style or DE for years,i have a restless mind so i tried the closed comb and after a while the open comb DE's
    I found my Love !
    :love029:

Sometimes i use the previous designs of my Schick but the Love remains.

Bristle Me, mxsloan and R-C like this.
  6. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The Merkur OC isn't very aggressive, so I'd say go for it. It's a good first OC to get.

7. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

When I was shaving with DE's the Gillette New Open Comb was my razor of choice before switching to astr8s. The open comb works great for heavy beards; very aggressive and due to having a comb instead of a bar, glides very nicely. I nicknamed mine the 'Brush Buster'..................

8. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

:signs011: The Merkur 41c was my first DE razor. It's fairly 'forgiving', with the primary benefit being that the OC seems like it is less apt to clog.

mxsloan likes this.
  9. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

that's what I was told at my local shop. Good price too!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  10. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I have a chen strap bread during the week so this might be help when I'm shaving that down. For now I use an electic to trim down the longer part of my beard and the DE for the main stuff.

11. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

Looks like I'm getting a Merkur 33c from someone the forum! I'll still let my wife get me the Merkur classic OC though. I'll be setting any rozor to the side until i finish my 30 day technique building.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good for you. Both is better.

13. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

I started out with a 33C from a member of another forum. I also got a Canadian fat-handle Tech (prewar) from the same gentleman. I've been shaving with both for a little over 3 months now. I really like both razors. I have gotten great shaves with both of them and I have unable to decide which I prefer. The 33C seems to really like Shark Super Chromes. The Sharks give me a shave as nice as a Feather, but last almost twice as long. I may be going out on a limb here, being a newbie, but it seems to me that both razors could benefit from a heavier handle. One of these days, I wanna try both heads with a bulldog-type handle. That 1904 OC is also quite high on my list of things I'd like to try. Since we seem to have similar tastes in razors, I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the Merkurs. Enjoy the 33c. It doesn't receive the love that it should around here.

Bristle Me and mxsloan like this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have an Ikon OSS that has OC on one side and a safety bar on the other. I find however that I'm so used to flipping the razor over after every stroke that it's sort of pointless. I did however manage to slice off a skin tag on my neck the first time I used it on the OC side. I had been shaving that spot with a safety bar razor for ever with no problems but one stroke with the OC and I saved myself a trip to the dermatologist. It did look like I had been slaughtering hogs in my sink though.:shocked003:

15. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

I'll post my review after I finish out my 30 days on the feather.

16. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

It is true that the Merkur 15C OC and 1904 OC razors leave little soapy trails behind, (at least for me)
    and I really like that.

Soapy_Trails 50pct.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    CyanideMetal and mxsloan like this.
  17. Unis

Unis Active Member

I like that as well about open combs! It doesn't get rid of the cream completely on the first pass over a fresh lather and that really aids when going over parts of your face.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm partial to the 'modified' open-comb concept....;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tattoobob and Bristle Me like this.
  19. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

My merkur 33c and razorock open comb. 20140822_180722.jpg

20. mxsloan

mxsloan Member

Razorock jaws. Debating if I should give the 33c a try or wait till my 30 days is up with the feather.