Open comb vs. closed bar razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DLP, Feb 4, 2012.

1. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

When looking at DE Razors I keeps seeing open comb razors and closed bar razors. Can someone explain the advantages of one over the other?

2. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

People better versed on the subject than I will be coming along to give you some good advice, but until then here's what I know. When you go to buy a DE a lot of times it's available in open or closed comb. A lot of the manufacturers will state the open comb is more agressive and for experienced shavers who want a closer shave. I thought that for years and it's probably generally true. However, I have had a couple of models in both open and closed where I actually found the closed to be more agressive (could have just been me). Anyway, I'm sure that there is a thread in here somewhere that explains the difference in details.

Alan

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I see no advantage what so ever, and I rotate through both types often.

And, no, an open comb is not necessarily more aggressive than a closed bar.

4. senex

senex Member

I have read that open comb works better with people who have hairs that grow flat to the skin(Me), I have an old Gillette open comb and find that the flat hairs on my neck get removed easier with it.

5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I find the open comb Gillettes to be rough going.. maybe too much so for me. But I've got a slow grow and it's not that formidable. I have heard those gillette opens could be a perfect solution to the heavy beard sensitive skin paradox. They are really efficient buggers and quite forgiving once you get used to them. At the start, if you decide to try 'em, I'd go with a milder blade then take it from there once you get your millage up.. happy shaving...

6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

7. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

I see no difference. I've had outstanding razors that were open comb or closed comb. In theory, however, the open comb leaves a slight trail of soap that can help on a subsequent pass. I also like the looks of an open comb. But either style can be outstanding.

8. AwNix

AwNix Member

I shave w/ an open comb only if I have not shaved for sometime.For me they have more blade exposure and I can "feel" them more, especially my Single Rings. It's better for cutting through thick growth even if it doesn't have a heavy weight. A closed bar razor is good for all times but some can be lighter and more work or be lighter and not give you the closest shave you want. Something like a '48 Aristocrat is a pretty good choice for an all-around quality razor. The gold STAR brand razor is another razor I really like, it's medium weight and the handle is very grippy. They have a very distinct look.
    [​IMG]

9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Cost. Everything boils down to 'who can make it cheaper'! Why take all that time and waste all that material making a comb when you an just put a bar there. Or even better put bumps on the bar and call it a comb and sell the same razor twice under a different name. Money. That's the difference.

10. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

Open combs tend to be a little better with heavy growth, but as stated they aren't all the same.

11. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

:signs011: