Open comb vs closed comb. What do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveL, Oct 31, 2011.

1. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Closed comb for me gillette slim fatboy and EL89L :) any of these 3 with an astra blade for me

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Slims and Fat Boys are solid bar guards, not closed combs. :)

3. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

ahhh yes my mistake. I have tried a muhle open comb with the new head, but it was with the plastic handle which i found very slippy when wet, so couldnt get a propper shave or opinion on it, Im toying with the idea of the R41 oc as the handle is similar to the Jagger I like:) how are you getting on with your R41 jody?

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Slowly but loving it none the less. Every shave with it has me smooth as glass but because it's so aggressive, I go slow - but that's also kept me from getting any cuts or weepers too. I do WTG, ATG and finish off with j-hooking on my jawline. And of course I load it with a Voskhod blade. I get 4 shaves from 1 blade in the 2011 R41. Perfection every time.

5. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

When it comes to DE safety razors, I have a definite preference for open-combs!

Gillette.JPG

Of the four razors, three are open-combs (the Gillette NEW short-comb and long-comb are my go-to DE razors).

6. Adama

Adama Member

I like using both an open comb and close comb razor. My go to closed comb a Merkur 1904. My favorite open comb is a Gillete Old Type head on one of Cooncat Bob's Bull Mastiff razor handles. The open comb definitely works better on my pesky neck whiskers that grow every which way.

7. ossiezig

ossiezig New Member

Amen to that. Not everyone is lucky enough to find what that one thing that works for them. I've been in agressive mode lately... rotating between my R41 & my 1929 GEM OMM. I'll go back to my closed comb when I mellow out a bit.

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I would like to add an addendum: I know the day will come when I can and will hook up with one of the Gillette Single Rings...And I'll be singin' the open-comb praises...But presently I have no open comb options, so I reach for my favorite razor in my house....And I do love my Schick....And if the situation presents itself a Schick Open Comb Repeater would be great aswell...:)

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

open comb. my daily shaver is a frankenrazor with a Gillette NEW head and a handle from a Sabi three piece. My other razor is one of the old open comb M.P. r89s. I don't think there's a big difference between open comb, closed comb, and safety bar razors. I've used all three types and got good shaves from them all. I do prefer aggressive razors, and the open combs I own are on that end of the spectrum.