Open Comb

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Dave Paskowski, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I've been reading reviews and posy on different razors and have a few questions on open and closed combs. Am i right in assuming (I hate using this word) that open comb razors are more aggressive than closed combs? How much does the technique between the two combs vary?

2. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I use a vintage open comb, I find it to be slightly aggressive I have never used a closed comb one to compare it to. I have one open comb from the early 1900's that is very aggressive.
    An open comb has more blade exposure because the safety bar is not there as you would find a on super speed. I have found that a slightly milder blade works the best.
    Personally I enjoy shaving with an open comb and I'm satisfied with the results. Hope that helps you, I'm sure others will chime too.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Absolute 100% myth. Aggressiveness, or mildness, for that matter, is a function of the razor itself, not if it is an open or closed comb razor. I have several open combs and I can say they are milder than a few of my closed comb. I also have a few open combs and find they are more aggressive than some of my closed combs. Again, every razor is different.

As for technique, since every razor is different, a minor alteration to your technique may be required, and, yes, that applies to all razors. Why? Mostly because of blade gap and head shape differences, nothing to do with it being open or closed comb.

Brad (above) mentioned there is more blade exposure with an open comb. While true, aggressiveness is a result of blade gap, not blade exposure.

BigT, jabberwock and Bird Lives like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you're interested, I have an ugly (no dents, dings or damage, just no plating) open comb I will send you. It has a head like the Gillette NEW and the handle of a Fat Handle Tech. Not sure if it was made that way or if it's a Franken-razor. Just send me a PM with your address.

jabberwock likes this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

:signs011:....also you can compensate so much with the shave angle....I mean, I've gotten mild shaves with a shavette.......because of the angle of attack.....Some of my Single edges have huge blade gaps, but you use a shallower angle and its like getting a really smooth, great, str8 shave....What I like about open combs is that on the ones I've tried I was aware of where the blade edge was....therefore its easy to find the right angle....;)

6. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Thanks swarden43

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have a Gillette Old-type that seems very mild to me. The blade is held almost against the comb so the angle where the blade edge actually touches the skin is pretty narrow.

8. Just got a Gillette New O/C in really nice condition a few weeks ago. As stated in previous posts, it is all about your technique--this one has a slightly larger blade gap than some of my "milder" razors, so I adjust accordingly, even shave my head with it, and she hasn't bitten me yet... And, this thing shaves well enough to put several of my other razors into the "mothball fleet"! I really like it! Lots of News out there, the Bay, estate sales, junk/antique shops. Just try to find one in decent condition, without pranged teeth. Sounds like Swarden43 has got the perfect test-driver for you!

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The two OC razors I use in my morning rotation I don't consider particularly aggressive, nor do I have to dramatically alter my 'technique.' The only difference between the two is I find I hold the long-comb (the gold one) at a oh-so-slightly different angle than the other OC (the New). Both give great shaves. I personally prefer the larger handle of the New. Good luck on your test drive!

Long-Comb Goodwill (L); Bar-handle New (R)—out for a replate!
    [​IMG]

10. sffone

sffone Member

I completely agree, having shaved with a wide variety of razors over a period of 50 years of wet-shaving.